Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - French speed cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

French speed cameras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firechief
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: French speed cameras Reply with quote

Hi / I am going to be driving in france for the first time in August,does the news that the french are going to ban camera alert devices include sat nav with the poi for camera's on them.I know that radar and laser alert detectors are banned but surely they cannot ban sat nav or can they.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's enforced until September anyway but there's quite a lot of discussion here:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=87215

MaFt
firechief
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: French speed camera's. Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt reply, I suppose the french will do as they want as usual. The problem is of course they fine you on the spot and with very little chance of appeal or getting a refund, does anyone know of any obscure motoring laws to be aware of.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: French speed camera's. Reply with quote

firechief wrote:
does anyone know of any obscure motoring laws to be aware of.

There are lots of them. The new one that I can think of is that you need a yellow vest, I keep one in the drivers door pocket anyway - stop on a fast dark road in the middle of the night and you can see people but they sure as hell can't see you. Should be compulsory here too - they only cost about £2 on the net, a fiver from Halfords or probably £20 on the ferry.

For some proper advice, check out the AA

General overseas advice
Driving in France
Other Countries

Have a good trip! Laughing
firechief
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Obscure french motoring laws Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up about reflective vests and yes agree that they should be worn over in england.I will make sure I have some with me.
Regards and Thanks.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Obscure french motoring laws Reply with quote

firechief wrote:
reflective vests and yes agree that they should be worn over in england.
I thought that most people did already plus tha mandatory hard hat for roofers Shocked
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Obscure french motoring laws Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
mandatory hard hat for roofers Shocked

It's not just roofers who need to wear the hard hats. Twisted Evil
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time eh?

Most important.

Yellow diamonds sign edged in white you have the priority as you would here but if you see the sign with a black diagonal line , priorité à droite, traffic coming from the right has priority, crossroads, junctions, traffic merging from the right. These are mainly found in towns and cities but if you come across one slow right down at junctions, crossroads, exits from car parks etc. They have priorty and they can and do drive straight out.

Beware that Villages and Hamlets do not have a speed limit sign, on entering you will see a white sign, edged in red, with the village/hamlet's name, which means a 50kph speed limit. Many of these areas now have a 70kph sign some distance before the village/hamlet. On leaving you'll see a duplicate village/hamlet name sign with a black diagonal across it, this means you are now back to 90kph. (All the above unless shown differently by a speed sign).

Areas around schools have a 45kph limit and is strictly enforced.

Some residential areas now have a 30kph sign, again they are very strict on this.

Otherwise it's fairly straightforward, don't rush things and take your time to adjust. Be extra careful on narrow mountain roads, if you are going that far down, because it's difficult trying to overtake witjhout a clear view.

One last thing, when overtaking in the outside lane keep your indicator on until you pull back in. Turn it off when in the outside lane, as you would here, and your rear view mirror will be filled by a Peugeot, Citroen or Renault, to them you have finished your maneuver and moving back in.

When leaving an Autoroute the road often becomes quite narrow with tight bends, remember a 50 sign is kilometres, (31 mph) not mph. Embarassed You can change your underwear at the next Ayre.

Until I bought the car I have now, which allows me to switch from mph to kph, I used to use the system, ignore the 0 and multiply by 6. e.g. 50 kph = 5 x 6 i.e 30mph. etc, etc. This keeps you a couple of mph under the limit.

Enjoy your trip. The worst part of your holiday will be the return to the UK on the M2 and M20, as you will have got used to very empty roads most of the time.

Good luck.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Border_Collie wrote:
I used to use the system, ignore the 0 and multiply by 6. e.g. 50 kph = 5 x 6 i.e 30mph. etc, etc. This keeps you a couple of mph under the limit.
Hey, that's sharp. Nearly as good as 'Double it and add 30' to convert Centigrade to Faren....how do you spell it? Old money, then Very Happy
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
'Double it and add 30' to convert Centigrade to Faren

100C x 2 + 30 =230??? Eh.

What about....

Double it, minus 10% +32 ?

100 X 2 =200 -10% =180 + 32 = 212.

Back the other way...

(F -32 +10%) /2

212 - 32 = 180 + 10% =198 / 2 = 99 Close enough to make a cppa. Razz

There are some other silly bits and bobs I worked out but can't think of them at the moment.

Stop! Whoops, sorry... Off Topic

Quote:
how do you spell it? Old money

'IT'
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Border_Collie wrote:
100C x 2 + 30 =230??? Eh.
But double it and add 30 is easy to remember and do, and is, after all, meant to be an aproxomation, and is not bad at normal world wide weather temps. e.g. 0C = 30F (error just over 1degC) 30C= 90F (err =2degC)
What about....
C *9 /5 +32? that should do the trick, but is nowhere nearly as easy to remember or work out as C*2+30
and Speed/10*6 is even easier. I like easy Very Happy
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add 'BEWARE CYCLISTS'. They are very unpredictable and act as though thy own the road (yes, even more than in the UK Twisted Evil ). And in a sense they do; any vehicle hitting them seems deemed to be responsible for the accident, WHATEVER the actual situation.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: French speed camera's. Reply with quote

firechief wrote:
... does anyone know of any obscure motoring laws to be aware of.
I've suddenly wondered if this may be of any use to you, I'm not sure if it is law in France but the French motorists in this part of Spain abide by it so I think it's likely it is.

Roundabouts The law in Spain is that the inside lane (i.e. nearest the centre) on a roundabout is only for overtaking ( Shocked ) or for going completely round the roundabout and re-joining the road you have just left. So, even if you are taking the 3rd, 4th, nth or penultimate exit, you have no right to be in the inside lane. Of course, not everyone adheres to this law but many do and it has the potential to create at least two hazards :-
a) when approaching a roundabout, cars overtaking you may suddenly pull in front of you so that they are not in the wrong lane at the roundabout, this drastically reduces your braking distance before the roundabout, and b) many accidents are caused by cars in the "inside" lane and leaving at the 2nd exit hitting a car in the "outside" lane which is staying on the roundabout until the 3rd exit (of course, hardly anyone uses their indicators). The law is on the side of the car taking the 3rd exit!
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
mol2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things to remember if you get pulled over for a speeding fine:

1) You must insist on paying by card.
2) You must insist on a receipt.

This forces the Police to do the proper paperwork and follow proceedure and ensures the fine goes where it's supposed to.
You may have to go to the Police station to do this but you are not obliged to hand over cash. (Much as they might like to imply this)

Foerign tourists are seen as a cash cow so make sure you make them work for it and it is remarkable how the interest in fining you falls!
firechief
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: speeding fine Reply with quote

Thanks very much for that, I would have never have thought of paying by card, I suppose that paying by card may be to much trouble for the police if they have to accompany you to the station to do it. I go on saturday so this is just in time.
Many Thanks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: