Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speeding Motorists Set to See Red
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speeding Motorists Set to See Red

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Speeding Motorists Set to See Red Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com

In a pilot that subscribes to the "more haste less speed" school of thought, the Wiltshire and Swindon Road Safety Partnership are introducing new traffic light technology to two roads in Swindon. It's thought to be the first trial of its type in the UK and, if successful, may replace many existing red light speed cameras.

The Swindon Advertiser reports that if speeding drivers are spotted approaching a controlled junction, the lights automatically turn red to slow them down. The plan is to educate speeders that their journey will ultimately take longer if they break the law. Well, that's the plan - as to whether those held up at said lights will then speed even more to make up for lost time is open to debate.

Do you think such schemes will ever replace red light speed cameras?
Trevor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a totally stupid idea

So when a Ambulance, Police or Fire Engine approch on an emergency call travelling over the speed limit the lights go to RED infront of them and possibly cause another accident.

Give the people who think of these ideas a usefull job like directing traffic in a car park.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also discussed HERE where it links to Telegraph report which also says..
Quote:
Automatic number plate recognition cameras are used to detect emergency vehicles.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as one caller to Radio2 explained, where this technology has been deployed in Spain, invariably the speeding driver will bet through the lights before they turn to red and the only ones inconvenienced are the law abiding drivers behind.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Also discussed HERE where it links to Telegraph report which also says..
Quote:
Automatic number plate recognition cameras are used to detect emergency vehicles.

Thumbs Up Not Worthy
Kia In-dash Tomtom
worried
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first came across this in Germany early 1996 near Mannheim, approaching a small town going to fast and the light went red about 200M before I got there, no junctions, the only purpose as stated
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has worked very successfully in villages in Portugal for a number of years now. Better than the job creation that the speed camera brigade creates, and much more effective at moderating speed in sensitive areas.
Lui-G
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Portugal, I've generally found that those who will speed will either zoom by the lights before they turn red (a common game to play), or they just ignore the red light since they are breaking the law anyway. Still, I expect occasional or distracted speedsters may be affected, so overall it's not a bad thing.

What I don't understand is why the government doesn't just implement average speed calculations between number plate recognition cameras. They could stop the entire country from speeding - quickly and more cheaply than using any other method.

Seems so simple to me, I don't see why it hasn't been done.

No more speeding country wide. More lives saved and less resources used to clean up the mess.

...and why are buses and taxis allowed to speed? Surely they should have limiters in place?

What about seatbelts in buses?

This whole road safety seems half baked.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lui-G wrote:

What I don't understand is why the government doesn't just implement average speed calculations between number plate recognition cameras. They could stop the entire country from speeding - quickly and more cheaply than using any other method.

The two main reasons are that they would need to certify every single system, and that different authorities own the cameras. Each point to point would have to be based on the longest distance/slowest speed between the two points. It would be a nightmare to setup and administer.
newtomoneowner
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lui-G wrote:
In Portugal taxis speed? .

Enuff said Laughing Laughing

having used them a few times ive always been feared for life when i go in a portugal taxi, as for speed cameras i didnt think they had any, in fact i didnt think there were any rules to the road in portugal except for lets get there as quick as possible.

i may be wrong as im only an occasional visitor, i'll be there again at the end of august for 10 days and i cant wait.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: