Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map Update Warning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map Update Warning

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trenery
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Map Update Warning Reply with quote

Hi All

The new TomTom maps have been split into Zones as they are now to big for the 2gb internal memory on many TomTom devices (TT Rider mainly - I have also been told but cant confirm that there is a 2gb limit on SD cards usable by TomTom so the same issue applies)

Wait before you update to the new maps as a couple of my friends brand new devices have been corrupted buy the latest update and would not boot.

Having Zones is not a huge issue unless you want to travel across zones. To Eastern Europe for example. if you have a device with internal memory only then it will be really hard to switch zone half way on a journey.

Mike

Last edited by Trenery on Sun May 22, 2011 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trenery....

Actually, the TomTom Europe map has been split into zones for at least the last two or three updates. Without looking back, I can't remember which version number, but it was around last August. Cool

There was LOADS of discussion about it at the time, which you can read if you do a search back through the forum for the keyword "zones".

All recent TomTom's with SD card slots can take SDHC cards up to 32GB in size, although unless you want to add loads of mp3 music or photos to it there's not really much point in going bigger than 4GB. Make sure you get a 'Class 6' speed (or higher) card.

If you have a large enough card in the slot at the time of updating, TomTom Home should offer you the full map rather than the zones.
Sometimes it throws a wobbly, and insists on trying to install to the internal memory even though you selected the SD card, in that case you can copy everything to the card temporarily and use a card reader to do the update instead.

If you have a model without a card slot and are restricted to using the zoned maps, you can still download ALL the zones to your PC and swap between them at will.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
All recent TomTom's with SD card slots can take SDHC cards up to 32GB in size

This doesn't include the Rider devices though which is the device the OP is using - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was specifically replying to his suggestion that NO TomTom can use cards larger than 2GB.
He doesn`t mention the Rider anywhere in his post,but I assume the 4GB non-HDSC cards will work if he can still find one.

And map zones are still old news anyway! Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now seen Trenery has duplicated this with more detail in the Motorcycle section with more specifics that he's talking about the Rider.

See here: TomTom Urban Rider Map Update Warning

So I'll lock this one.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: