Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can a TomTom do this?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can a TomTom do this?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GodPleaseLetitWork
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Can a TomTom do this? Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone can help. I'm currently using a Sony Satnav for work. It's fine for what I need and has been reliable if a little slow and clunky. It replaced the new TomTom 700 (I think it was) that was stolen within a week!

My firm is now monitoring my van speed every 10 seconds. If at any time my speed goes more than 2 MPH above the speed limit, I get told off. Eventually this goes on the personnel file and is a good excuse for not giving a pay rise 'Sad'

I'm now having to drive around, constantly looking at the speedo which I think is dangerous - so, is there a TomTom unit that knows the speed limit of a particular road and will give me some kind of audible warning to stop me going over the speed limit?

I know the colour of the current MPH changes to red and all that but some kind of audio warning would be much better. Obviously speed camera warnings are no longer necessary. If TomTom doesn't do this, maybe you could suggest an alternative?

Thanks 'Wink'
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 720/550 both give an audio warning when over the speed limits (an option in menus) - however it kicks in at 3mph and can be a bit slow responding (such I have often overtaken and started dropping back down in speed before it gives warning) (I don't know if newer 1000 models faster at alarm)

What might be useful is they can display speed and limit so not needing to look down - something from Road Angel might be better (but not cheap)
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful though, not all roads have a speed associated with them to enable the overspeed warnings to be triggered. I'm not sure about other brands/models but some of the older TT's (i.e. X20's & X30's) running with an old NavCore will allow 3rd party software to run on them. Rousillat on his www.webazar.org website offers a programme called TripMaster which allows you to set a speedlimit and alerts you with a visual and/or audible warning.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
nwatson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: OT Reply with quote

OP please tell us who your dickensian employer is. Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
GodPleaseLetitWork
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Reply with quote

nwatson wrote:
OP please tell us who your dickensian employer is. Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

If you see a silver Transit Connect van, it may be driven by an engineer who repairs vacuum cleaners that use a 'sphere' rather than wheels Cool
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nav units that contain the speed limit data are often out of date and give incorrect warnings/ no warning at all.

I would be tempted to get a GPS jammer to screw up whats fitted in your van, only plug it in once every few days, with no GPS signal your company won't have any data, better still they will probably think its faulty. When they get fed up with the cost of getting it "fixed" they will probably drop the spy in the cab would be more effective if a few of you all did the same thing.

Not legal by the way but I know what I would be doing faced with a spy in the cab ;) - Mike
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the digital mapping companies find it so hard to get speed limits correct on maps, what data source is this company using which is guaranteed to be so accurate?
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, what if GodPleaseLetitWork IS twigged by his employer doing something illegal in their van, and flouting their own regulations? Especially if they get suspicious of the number of detectors suddenly developing faults. He's likely to be given a set of spheres and pushed straight out the front door, never mind missing a pay rise! After all, people have had great trouble just having harmless items in the windscreen which "someone" considered offensive (either to them, or to some group they considered themselves to be an unofficial spokesperson for).

After all, in any case, it's the company that will receive the NIP in the first place. And 2mph over the actual 'GPS' reading is, of course, anything from 4-7mph over the speedo limit which he should be going by.

I would suggest GodPleaseLetitWork points out to his admin people that speed limit road signing is often very unreliable, and asks them if their speed limit info that they use for monitoring is available 'in the cab'. Also mikealder is right that speed limit data is not 100%, but providing someone is taking at least some care, the number of times that there is no road sign info AND the satnav speed is wrong should be rare. My Navigon, for instance, seems pretty reliable in this respect.

How does DennisN cope with speed limits, I wonder?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Can a TomTom do this? Reply with quote

GodPleaseLetitWork wrote:
My firm is now monitoring my van speed every 10 seconds. If at any time my speed goes more than 2 MPH above the speed limit, I get told off. Eventually this goes on the personnel file and is a good excuse for not giving a pay rise 'Sad'

Like a number of people who have already posted, I very much doubt the accuracy of the database that your company uses for speed limits. Even the most up-to-date production maps for SatNavs are out of date by a number of months. So I would very much like to know the supplier of the database.

Also, GPS is normally accurate to several metres but local conditions i.e. "urban canyons" etc can "confuse" the GPS to give a false reading. On SatNavs there is a "snap to road" but if your company's database software doesn't use that then you may get false readings - say you're driving on a motorway quite happily (and legally) at 70 mph but there's an urban road with a 30mph limit and that runs along side the motorway and the GPS gets a false reading at the point your speed and location is measured you could get a wrong reading of 70mph on an urban road! Confused

Presumably, if your company is so worried about their drivers speeding then they don't give you such tight schedules to keep to as other companies might - in order that you don't speed?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
GodPleaseLetitWork
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all good stuff guys and you have a point. The GPS spy in the cab can only be as good as a good Satnav - and if they are not totally accurate as regards where the various speed limit boundaries are, why should the tracker?

In all fairness I'm not too bothered about adhering to the speed limit and I know there will be some people who maintain this can be done all of the time but it's harder than you think! The roads are getting busier and you have to be aware of stuff going on around all the time. Speedo watching doesn't help.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GPS spy in the cab can only be as good as a good Satnav - and if they are not totally accurate as regards where the various speed limit boundaries are, why should the tracker?
Unless you are in an urban canyon, the GPS device itself will give a very accurate speed readout. It's the accuracy of the speed limits embedded in the maps that's the inaccurate bit. Sad
Speedo watching doesn't help.
I doubt if GPS watching is any better either Very Happy
GodPleaseLetitWork
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
The GPS spy in the cab can only be as good as a good Satnav - and if they are not totally accurate as regards where the various speed limit boundaries are, why should the tracker?
Unless you are in an urban canyon, the GPS device itself will give a very accurate speed readout. It's the accuracy of the speed limits embedded in the maps that's the inaccurate bit. Sad
Speedo watching doesn't help.
I doubt if GPS watching is any better either Very Happy

M8TJT You're right- that's why I'm looking for a device that might alert me by some kind of audible signal that I'm drifting above the limit. It's been a while since I had a TomTom - I'm using a Sony at the moment which is pretty basic. Given the limitations of the technology, I reckon most of the time, the audio alert provided by a TomTom will allow me to spend less time checking the speedo Laughing
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's why I'm looking for a device that might alert me by some kind of audible signal
I see.
BTW. it's not necessary to quote all of the post immediately above your post. Just pick out the salient bits, if anything Very Happy
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the connect has a very easy to read speedo maybe a lighter foot on the accelorater maybe called for even with the tdci its is still sluggish. I think what you need is somthing to display you gps speed on a device in a large format if you have a smartphone ie iphone3 upwards though gps is not good at all on those devices but for that or android there are speedo apps that will do this

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
GodPleaseLetitWork
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll just go for an up-to-date Tom Tom. Problem I have is the 10 second monitoring my employer does using the tracker. I often find myself in areas or turn into country roads when I'm not 100% sure what the limit is until I see a sign. I can default to 30mph but I've had a couple of people getting angry behind me because I think that they think I'm winding them up! Maybe a big sign on the back of my van or something would help!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: