Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map v870 Released 17/05/2011
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map v870 Released 17/05/2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to download 870 map after a great deal of difficulty (as usual with TT it seems).
My LMG was just in date but despite having Europe 2GB (Western&Central) on my 750 Home would initially only offer me the Europe_West or another region. After using the sd card in a reader it offered me Western Europe but I could not persuade it to offer more.
It also may be that my Map Upgrade had been transferred from my 720 as it offered me the new map when checking for updates although the TT site says it is not transferable.
I transferred my mapsettings file apparently without problem until I discovered today that the 750 hung and rebooted when trying to find an address. Solved this by 'Operating My Go' in Home and adding new favourite - I also tried finding an address using Home so it may have been this that solved the problem.
A350 going across a field north of Shaftesbury still not corrected, nor the new road layout on the A30 going into Yeovil one way system. I have sent the corrections - AGAIN!

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
hazzamon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm downloading Europe 8.70 as we speak, but I am expecting that my main bugbear, the extensive remodelling of M4 J11 will not be included on the latest map, given that it doesn't appear on Map Insight's current maps, nor has my report even been looked at. Evil or Very Mad
johnnym100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazzamon wrote:
I'm downloading Europe 8.70 as we speak, but I am expecting that my main bugbear, the extensive remodelling of M4 J11 will not be included on the latest map, given that it doesn't appear on Map Insight's current maps, nor has my report even been looked at. Evil or Very Mad

Hazzamon, sadly you are going to be disappointed about M4 J11 - see page 5 of this thread:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=87199&start=60

The west side of the junction (going northbound) is pretty close but pity anyone trying to approach to the junction from Reading town centre....

John.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnym100 wrote:
hazzamon wrote:

Hazzamon, sadly you are going to be disappointed about M4 J11 - see page 5 of this thread:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=87199&start=60

The west side of the junction (going northbound) is pretty close but pity anyone trying to approach to the junction from Reading town centre....

John.

You simply have to revert to basics and use your eyes to follow the overhead signs.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

You simply have to revert to basics and use your eyes to follow the overhead signs.

Surely you mean - Make sure you have "lane images" enabled and your TomTom will show you the direction sign Laughing

Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I dont. TomTom mapping is not yet up to date for that junction, so it doesn't have the correct "lane images", whether enabled or not. I don't enable lane images anyway.

theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
mccririck wrote:
that is what we have done with the 2 or 3 errors recently that several of us have submitted.

Am I seeing things? You have submitted map corrections which you yourself have not actually seen? Sort of little white lies? Or expenses claims? Or "corrections" to pgpsw POIs? I hope the database administration will take your attitude to accuracy into consideration when they receive them. Evil or Very Mad

DennisN
Not only is this road shown on OS and OSM it was also shown correctly on the last Navteq map used by TT on their rider v675.1322 its just that TA still have not caught up.
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
No I dont. TomTom mapping is not yet up to date for that junction, so it doesn't have the correct "lane images", whether enabled or not. I don't enable lane images anyway.

It was a joke! And I agree lane images are awful - but I find lane guidance useful when abroad.

Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theripper wrote:
DennisN wrote:
mccririck wrote:
that is what we have done with the 2 or 3 errors recently that several of us have submitted.

Am I seeing things? You have submitted map corrections which you yourself have not actually seen? Sort of little white lies? Or expenses claims? Or "corrections" to pgpsw POIs? I hope the database administration will take your attitude to accuracy into consideration when they receive them. Evil or Very Mad

DennisN
Not only is this road shown on OS and OSM it was also shown correctly on the last Navteq map used by TT on their rider v675.1322 its just that TA still have not caught up.
How is it right to report something that you haven't seen? By all means get a bunch of mates to email teleatlas/tomtom and raise hell because they've heard that xx road has been open for xx years and yet is not on the maps in readiness for the time they all drive to that locality. Get everybody who had Rider map 675 to write in playing hell that it's now disappeared from their new Rider maps. Now that would be OK by me and I'd even be tempted to add my email to it, on the grounds that as a whitevanman I might just as easily go there tomorrow and want the roads to be accurate on the map which I bought last week. But I will NOT report that road to them unless and until I go there - I can't see it from here and I don't think it can be seen from Scotland.

Somebody I know rang me one evening to say a mobile camera was operating nearby. Described the location so I couldn't miss it. So I hopped in the van and went to look - nothing. So I didn't report it.

mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

Somebody I know rang me one evening to say a mobile camera was operating nearby. Described the location so I couldn't miss it. So I hopped in the van and went to look - nothing. So I didn't report it.

With respect that's a different situation. The camera isn't going to be seen on OS maps or any other maps in fact. You rely fully on seeing them yourself or word of mouth (which obviously isn't reliable).

But a street which is even visible on google maps hybrid view and can be clearly seen on the hybrid view to be drawn wrong - I dont think you can really argue that we are taking a risk if we report it without actually going there. We see it on hybrid view as a satellite image, we see it on OS maps etc, PLUS TomTom/Teleatlas will HAVE to check it themselves to draw it in correctly (I have already pointed this out to you but you ignore it) so you are not comparing like with like.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mccririck wrote:
With respect that's a different situation.

...but unless you've actually seen something for yourself, how do you know it is either correct or accurate??

Simply because a story is printed in The Sun does not automatically make it correct or accurate.

Simply multiplying other people's submissions also does not make them correct or accurate and this forum should not be condoning such a suggestion
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
mccririck wrote:
With respect that's a different situation.

...but unless you've actually seen something for yourself, how do you know it is either correct or accurate??

Simply because a story is printed in The Sun does not automatically make it correct or accurate.

Simply multiplying other people's submissions also does not make them correct or accurate and this forum should not be condoning such a suggestion

Again you miss the point. I did not simply submit something someone else said. I listened to what they had to say, i then looked on google satellite image and on OS maps, and both of those corroborated what the person had said.

This is not the same as believing a story in The Sun or believing what someone tells you about the position of a mobile camera.

And I'll make the point again - in order to install the road correctly on their maps Teleatlas would have to do a re-map of the area, thus corroborating it fully anyway before it appeared.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've made that point several times and I have not ignored it at all.

I'm out of here

Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reliance on Google map and satellite view is not a good idea... The road layout of the A730 at Shawfield Stadium in Glasgow has completely changed. It was correct in the 845 map before the road opened, then the next map issue reverted to the old road layout (which is still what is shown on Google maps)

The line of the new road (open for a year and more now) can be seen in Google satellite view (this is what it looked like well over 2 years ago) and the new road is not shown at all on the current google map.
jmcmtank
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And no doubt the M74 extension will be a right laugh for a few years after it opens in June (28th).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: