Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map v870 Released 17/05/2011
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map v870 Released 17/05/2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mccririck wrote:
That's great, looks like if we team up we could hammer home some updates here.

Seems a little pointless if these updates don't get verified and incorporated into new map releases
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
mccririck wrote:
That's great, looks like if we team up we could hammer home some updates here.

Seems a little pointless if these updates don't get verified and incorporated into new map releases

Well the point is they will get put in the new maps if enough people point them out.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but why should WE do TomTom's job and, in effect, verify map updates which we may never have seen in person?

Just because one person posts a correction on here and we all submit it en-mass does NOT mean it is correct, neither would the masses know.

In effect, you're saying that each and every submission is correct and does not require verification by visiting the location in person. On this basis, PGPSW ought to simply accept EVERY camera submission by default, which would immediately invalidate the database.

The focus ought to be on VERIFICATION and QUALITY of data - compare their speed cameras against the PGPSW and you'd soon see they simply haven't got it right.
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can see your point, however in cases where TomTom/Teleatlas are actually going to have to do a re-map of the area (missing roads etc) I see no harm. And that is what we have done with the 2 or 3 errors recently that several of us have submitted. TomTom will verify it themselves when they do a proper re-map.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your suggestion still has a major assumption that "WE" are submitting correct data for something which we have never seen. So, if "WE" blindly follow like sheep and submit incorrect data, the map will be incorrect whether it is a new road or trying to update an existing road.

A million submissions of the same data does not make that data correct and, IMHO, EVERY submission should be verified by TT/TeleAtlas regardless.

In my profession, verification of data is essential and lives depend on it and, frankly, it is simply sloppy of these map producers not to verify and update their maps ACCURATELY. It is a sorry state of affairs when Ordnance Survey have produced ACCURATE maps for decades whilst the digital map producers can't get it right.
ICHAPMAN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Parent's have a fairly new VIA 120 Europe, of which they haven't as yet updated their map via the LMG. I notice however they all the MyTomtom is offering under LMG is the previous 865 map.

Is this right?. Sure LMG should always offer the latest map until such time as the owner makes use of the LMG offer, or the LMG period expires?

Thanks

Iain.
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Your suggestion still has a major assumption that "WE" are submitting correct data for something which we have never seen. So, if "WE" blindly follow like sheep and submit incorrect data, the map will be incorrect whether it is a new road or trying to update an existing road.

A million submissions of the same data does not make that data correct and, IMHO, EVERY submission should be verified by TT/TeleAtlas regardless.

In my profession, verification of data is essential and lives depend on it and, frankly, it is simply sloppy of these map producers not to verify and update their maps ACCURATELY. It is a sorry state of affairs when Ordnance Survey have produced ACCURATE maps for decades whilst the digital map producers can't get it right.

As I said, when they do the re-map they will see the error themselves with their satellite imaging and also using on the ground GPS data. All we are doing is bringing to their attention the fact that a road is missing. We're not drawing it on for them.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICHAPMAN wrote:
Hi,

Parent's have a fairly new VIA 120 Europe, of which they haven't as yet updated their map via the LMG. I notice however they all the MyTomtom is offering under LMG is the previous 865 map.

Is this right?. Sure LMG should always offer the latest map until such time as the owner makes use of the LMG offer, or the LMG period expires?

Thanks

Iain.

Yes, obviously it SHOULD offer the latest available version.
But TomTom moves in mysterious ways.... and the Latest Map Guarantee program often takes a few days to catch up after a new map has been released.

If they can wait until a few days before their guarantee period is up and v870 STILL isn't being offered, then give customer services a call and ask what's going on.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mccririck wrote:
that is what we have done with the 2 or 3 errors recently that several of us have submitted.

Am I seeing things? You have submitted map corrections which you yourself have not actually seen? Sort of little white lies? Or expenses claims? Or "corrections" to pgpsw POIs? I hope the database administration will take your attitude to accuracy into consideration when they receive them. Evil or Very Mad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have indeed submitted 2 errors which people on here highlighted. I submitted them to Teleatlas and they are not corrections they can fix without looking at the problem themselves (as I've ALREADY SAID).

Both are on OS maps and OpenStreetMap.
johnnym100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: shame about M4 J11 Reply with quote

theripper wrote:
I have found something new Me Me Me
Driving down the A3 this morning heading into Hindhead and started to go across country until I realised that they have added and are using the new Hindhead tunnel which won't open till July. It looks like the only access to Hindhead centre in the future will be from the southern end of the tunnel.

But still no A228 to the Isle of Grain, even though it's now been open for about 7 years Crying or Very sad

It also a shame that they still haven't got the revised road layout of M4 J11 right. It was only finished 8 months ago.

It's a bit complicated to do on MapShare; move half the roundabout and change a branch road...
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: shame about M4 J11 Reply with quote

johnnym100 wrote:
theripper wrote:
I have found something new Me Me Me
Driving down the A3 this morning heading into Hindhead and started to go across country until I realised that they have added and are using the new Hindhead tunnel which won't open till July. It looks like the only access to Hindhead centre in the future will be from the southern end of the tunnel.

But still no A228 to the Isle of Grain, even though it's now been open for about 7 years Crying or Very sad

It also a shame that they still haven't got the revised road layout of M4 J11 right. It was only finished 8 months ago.

It's a bit complicated to do on MapShare; move half the roundabout and change a branch road...

Write it in the text box. Type of error - other...

Also report it direct to Teleatlas: http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com/mapfeedback/index.php
johnnym100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mcririck,

Reported in both systems,
John.
Stampy72
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a load of email from TeleAtlas saying that the changes to the maps I made back in DEC 2008 have been ACCEPTED and should be included on the 9/11 versions of the maps...

Click HERE to see one of my changes.
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5138
Map : "Europe_North" v 900.4602
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stampy72 wrote:
Just had a load of email from TeleAtlas saying that the changes to the maps I made back in DEC 2008 have been ACCEPTED and should be included on the 9/11 versions of the maps...

Click HERE to see one of my changes.

It only took them 2 1/2 years.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: