Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT and Android
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT and Android
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: TT and Android Reply with quote

Apologies if this is somewhere else, but herewith the latest from TT re. Android this week...................

"I’m afraid I cannot add anything new to the discussion that has taken place here. TomTom does not have a navigation app for Android, but of course we recognize the growth of the Android platform and have been creating partnerships to leverage our map content on the Android platform. E.g. our deal with HTC: http://corporate.tomtom.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=520493 and a more recent one with Route66 (which is waiting to be launched in the Android App store): http://corporate.tomtom.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=549627."
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the answer is still the same. They have no plans to release and android app…
Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drat!

As a previous long-time TomTom user on WinMo, I have been looking at a number of different Android stored-map satnav programmes recently (in preparation for a holiday in France), but sadly none of them are as good as TomTom.

NDrive - probably the best so far, but having paid for the maps for V10 I am reluctant to pay full price again for V11. User interface is a bit small to use and nowhere near as friendly as TomTom.

iGO - no longer available to purchase for Android devices. Lacking in functionality.

Navfree - Promising, but takes up 72Mb and can't be moved to SD card. Advert blocks useful information (known problem - being fixed). Biggest problem is that OpenStreetMap is just not mature/accurate enough yet to rely on for navigation, sadly.

Sygic - very polished, and much development activity has been going on recently, but it cannot import my personal POIs, which is a show-stopper for me.

CoPilot - have uninstalled this, but I can't remember why!

Conclusion: I'll probably get a second-hand TomTom PND for now, and hope that the Android satnav market improves considerably in the not too distant future.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip wrote:
Drat!

Sygic - very polished, and much development activity has been going on recently, but it cannot import my personal POIs, which is a show-stopper for me.

Yes it can - all you have to do is convert them to Sygic's upi format. I am sure Sygic have a converter the trouble is their website has become almost impossible to find anything on!
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Yes it can - all you have to do is convert them to Sygic's upi format. I am sure Sygic have a converter the trouble is their website has become almost impossible to find anything on!
Are you sure?

My understanding is that the latest version of Sygic (V11) has removed support for .UPI files, and I certainly haven't been able to get them to work ...

I would love to be proven wrong!

peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh .... I am still on MM10, not Aura! I think they are re-introducing support for POIs into the latest new Aura - MaFt will know better than me though
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usefull resume Philip, any views on Navigon. Personally i am using Sygic MM10 on my Android phone which i find adequate in relation to TomTom although only used as secondary unit against ttn7 on my pda which i still find usefull due to limited travel nowadays and will update when it becomes too outdated.
My phone does(did) not appear on Sygics support list for Aura and not sure if it will stand the extra load to run fast enough but would not consider anyway until it supports third paty POIs.
Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
any views on Navigon
Afraid not - it's so expensive ($82 for Europe) that I'd rather buy a PND (possibly a second-hand 940 or 950) instead.

There is a very good and comprehensive review of the various sat nav apps on Android on this web page.

aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that expensive, currently Android prices:
£34.95 for UK and £49.05 for Europe, although perhaps expensive for my use for a secondary unit i.e. 10.1" epad, hence need for further info before commiting.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip usefull link you have given but seems to mainkly cover phone use,
For my main use I am using TTN7 on asus 696 PDA which i am happy with and whilst it remains reasonably uptodate for my needs then will continue,
I have Sygic MM10 on my android phone which is only used as a secondary device mainly because of smaller screen but still very usefull if short journey and cant be bothered to set up pda in car, incedently this accepts pgpsw POIs easily, thirdly the Epad will probaly be used more of a toy for GPS use but because it has integrated gps etc it just seems a shame not to include it, it has google earth which works brilliantly with its hd screen but is useless without a wifi signal, would be nice if could load maps internally, hence need for stand alone system.
Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that it may be some time (if ever!) before the satnav software companies produce a product aimed specifically at tablets - given that they cannot currently produce a product that works well on Android phones, and that is a significantly bigger market.

I'm also not convinced that tablets are well suited to navigation - the screen is just too big (unless you are driving an artic), and mounting one securely is a problem (avoiding blocking the radio/air vents, or taking up the whole windscreen).

I also worry about safety - it's bad enough potentially having a dislodged PND or phone hitting you in the face in the event of an accident (and I understand that people have been killed by such devices), but the thought of a 10" tablet floating around the cabin disturbs me!

Having said that, my wife has tried satnav on her iPad (yes, I am ashamed to admit in public that I'm married to somebody who owns an Apple device!) while in the passenger seat and claims to have found it useful.

aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not consider any serious use of a pad for satnav use, imagine it being used by hikers etc? but if it has the facility why not use it, but it does have serious use with google earth where it comes into its own especially with an HD screen. i understand that latest Navigon is supposed to be suitable for large screen tablets but not yet verified this, also has been mentioned of trial s/w from navigon but again cannot find mention on website.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip wrote:
given that they cannot currently produce a product that works well on Android phones, and that is a significantly bigger market.

Regardless of market size, Android is a pig to work with. So many different devices with their own little quirks with GPS, diffferent screen sizes, different resolutions etc etc. We've had a helluva time with CamerAlert recently. Certain devices just don't do stuff right!

I feel it's a little harsh to blame the people coding the app(s) - the issue really boils down to the Android SDK and the way phone manufacturers implement (and hack to death) the Android OS in the first place.

MaFt
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add to that every issue of Android seems to be in the development stage, I would imagine it will be a couple of years before you could consider it a final stable operating system.
Firebird
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

Thread ressurection time,,,,,,,,,

Has has there been any developments on a TT mapping that will run on an Android device?

Gra.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: