Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 1.7 terrible GPS positioning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 1.7 terrible GPS positioning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StarMonkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: TomTom 1.7 terrible GPS positioning Reply with quote

I recently updated my TomTom UK to 1.7, and since then have noticed that the GPS positioning is awful. I never had these problems on 1.6 or any previous version.

I'm using a 3GS, and pretty much every time I go round a corner which is more than about 45 degrees, tomtom doesn't follow me, and moves the position to a few hundred yards away. Then about 5-10 seconds later it snaps back to the road. It's happening so frequently that I 'lose' position at least 3 times per minute.

At first I thought it was the phone losing GPS signal (weird that it never happened in 1.6), but google maps, copilot, and igo have absolutely no problems keeping to the road!

I haven't been able to find anyone else having this problem, so I'm wondering if it's just me?!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the App works in the same way as PNDs, but having too many POIs Enabled can exhibit similar behaviour.

The usual recommendation is to have POIs set for Warn when Near, rather than Enabled on Map, if you need to be aware of them when out and about.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
StarMonkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I didn't think of that.

Before you replied, I thought I'd try completely removing and reinstalling the app (this was an upgrade from 1.6 so something could've gone wrong).

I tested it a couple of times today and it seems to be working - it lost position once but that could've just been a gps glitch.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no Warn When Near POI option on the iPhone app, to get it to produce such warnings involves copying a pre-configured mapsettings.cfg file from a PND to the correct location within the app on the iPhone using DiskAid/ PhoneAid if non jail broken.

You can select POI categories to be shown on the map which can slow the app down iff you have too many visible though - Mike
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 3GS did this on all versions of TomTom I used, 1.6 and 1.7, while the GPS in the phone is fine for slow google maps type GPS it isn't the best for Turn by Turn navigation like TomTom.

I bought the iPhone Car Kit from TomTom which while a slight trauma because I was a cheapskate and bought old stock from ebay which didn't work with IOS 4.3 TomTom have since replaced it for a new one and that works fine.

It isn't cheap but it was nice driving to work this morning and not jumping into a field every time I needed to turn.
sneeks
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.8 must be due any day now as it was mentioned in a email from TomTom today detailing to the inclusion of multi-stop routes.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: