Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HP Color LaserJet 2605dn, is it beyond economic repair?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HP Color LaserJet 2605dn, is it beyond economic repair?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: HP Color LaserJet 2605dn, is it beyond economic repair? Reply with quote

I have a HP Color (their spelling not mine) LaserJet 2605dn (duplex and networked) printer which I bought on 21 May 2008 for use at home, so it’s nearly three years old. The printer has developed three faults:

1. Constant jams (either the paper tray or the printer’s tray locking mechanism is broken) which can only be avoided by constantly holding the main paper tray day in situ.

2. Blurred colour printing on the middle to bottom part of each page (duplex or simplex)

3. Seems to spend a lot of time initialising and calibrating itself.

I think that it'll cost me at least £100 + VAT just for an engineer to visit/take it away before parts are taken into consideration. As new printers start around the £250 range I don't want to spend too much money on it so I'd rather have a go at fixing it myself - what's the worst that can happen? Wink

Does anybody here have any experience of the HP Color LaserJet 2605dn, especially fixing faults such as I've listed above.

Can you recommend anything, i.e. parts kits to fix the above?

Thanking you in advance for you help.
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had similar on an injet printer and found the 'rollers' were contaminated, roughened 'em up with some sandpaper and got a few more years out of it. May be worth checking first.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That blurring might be the drum?

I have a color Laserjet 2550L you can have if you like, you're not far away. Still on original supplies - when I discovered the price of the cartridges and drum, I didn't dare use it - 50% more than the original price of the printer complete. It may well not be good enough for you if you've been using a decent one - page print is limited by memory Dim. Look it up.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the kind offer of your HP Color LaserJet 2550L, however I won't take you up on it if you don't mind. It (the 2550L) is probably incompatible with my 2605dn for cannibalising for spare parts. The 2550L certainly uses different toners than the 2605dn.

By the way, why do printer manufacturers (especially HP) create so many different toners? Why can't they get their printers to all use the same toner?

I think that I might as well buy a new laser printer, pay £50 extra for a three year warranty (next day engineer to home) and expect it to last about three years. If the new printer can use the same toners as my 2605dn then I'm in the money because it's the toners that are expensive.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd bet a reasonable sum that the new printer will NOT use the same cartridges. I'd suggest the only way to check that is to look at the packaging on a new cartridge box for the current printer - you know, where they say which printer it fits and lists all of them. Your printer is fairly old in New Tech terms, so I'd say it's odds on that the cartridges are for older printers which you won't be able to buy now. I once had an A4 and an A3 printer (HP) which used the same colour inks, but different blacks.

It would be simple I suppose for HP to have all printers using the same toners, but it might slightly limit the size and shape of new machine development. But worst of all, you'd be able to use your old toners in your new printer! Like any wise virgin, I presume you always have spare cartridges in the house/office so that there will be a set left over when the printer packs up! Let's face it, the profit isn't in the price of the printer, it's in the toner/ink they sell you - new printers supplied with only "starter" ink/toner quantities - maybe half full. I paid less than £200 for my color laser printer, four cartridges each £60+ and the drum (limited life) £80+. It's a racket! Have you ever considered why printer cartridges are not transparent to let you see how much ink/toner is left in there? Fortunately (for HP et al) they give you a chip in the cartridge which the printer program can read to tell you to replace a cartridge before it's empty!!

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
they give you a chip in the cartridge which the printer program can read to tell you to replace a cartridge before it's empty!!
I'd much rather change the toner when it was empty Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
DennisN wrote:
they give you a chip in the cartridge which the printer program can read to tell you to replace a cartridge before it's empty!!

I MUST stop doing subtle
I MUST stop doing subtle
I MUST stop doing subtle
I MUST stop doing subtle
I MUST stop doing subtle
I MUST stop doing subtle
I MUST stop doing subtle
I MUST stop doing subtle
I MUST stop doing subtle
I MUST stop doing subtle
I MUST stop doing subtle
I MUST stop doing subtle
I MUST stop doing subtle
I MUST stop doing subtle
I MUST stop doing subtle
I MUST stop doing subtle......

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was only 16. I thought I told you to do 50 Shocked Twisted Evil
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis,

DennisN wrote:
Like any wise virgin, I presume you always have spare cartridges in the house/office so that there will be a set left over when the printer packs up.

You are absolutely correct to presume that I have spare cartridges in the home ready to replace as and when the chip decides that toner cartridge is empty, even though the toner cartridge still has plenty of toner left in it! Rolling Eyes

Fortunately, I wait until the display on the printer reads just less than half, before I order new toner and at the moment I have no spare toners left at all! Very Happy

As I've only put about four sets of genuine HP toner through my HP 2605dn laser printer, in three years, before it went wrong, I'm very tempted to used refill non-HP toners. Evil or Very Mad

I know that non-HP toners are supposed to be bad for a printer but as toners are the most expensive part of the printer and if you have to replace the printer every 3 years or every 4 sets of toners then HP are making a big statement that as their own products are of such poor quality then using third party replacements won't make too much of a difference! Twisted Evil

Also, are there not toner chip resetting devices that "fool" the toner cartridge into thinking that it's full again to allow use of all of the toner? Instead of throwing out a perfectly good toner cartridge with still 20% to 30% toner left?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first laser printer was black and white and pre-dated the chips. So I was told about low toner simply by the print quality. When it got bad, I took out the cartridge, shook it up briskly and got quite a lot more copies out of it!

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
DennisN wrote:

Drifting off-topic a bit.
I've got an Epson inkjet which uses 6 separate ink cartridges, all of which have the dreaded Epson "replace when half-full" chip.

For about £7 I bought a chip resetter tool and the savings have been immense. I reckon I can reset each cartridge twice before it's REALLY empty, so by that reckoning it must still be at least half to two-thirds full when Epson expect me to change it! Evil or Very Mad
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
For about £7 I bought a chip resetter tool and the savings have been immense. I reckon I can reset each cartridge twice before it's REALLY empty
I've done the same for my Canon. Now buy chipless carts from Inkredible, swap the chip, reset it, orft I jolly well go Very Happy . Tried refilling but it's too messy Sad
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I've done the same for my Canon. Now buy chipless carts from Inkredible, swap the chip, reset it, orft I jolly well go Very Happy . Tried refilling but it's too messy Sad

My Canon will still print after telling me that the ink has run out without resetting chips or anything. I just ignore the message. Confused
Samsung Galaxy S21
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does mine, but by resetting the chip, you get an idea of how much ink yoy have left like the original. Anybody know if the print head of an inkjet is damaged if you print with a (realy) empty ink cartridge, or is it just an urban myth?
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. I thought you meant you had to reset it before it would print.

I assume it just shows it as full again, not how much ink is actually left?
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: