Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom - Double Direction Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom - Double Direction Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do TomTom navigation instructions irritate you ?
YES
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
NO
90%
 90%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 11

Millmaag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: TomTom - Double Direction Problem Reply with quote

Many moons ago, my TT software used to give simple, clear navigation directions such as "in 100 yards, turn left". Having turned left, it would then give the next direction. I loved it back then - and recommended TomTom to everyone.

Now, my TomTom XL IQ Routes device confuses and irritates me with double directions such as "in 100 yards, turn left, then turn right" even if the second turn is several hundred yards away from the first one. The situation gets even worse as you approach the left turn because the direction is repeated followed immediately by with the "turn now" warning thus : "in 30 yards turn left, then turn right, turn left" which I think is extremely confusing and sometimes dangerous. I want to concentrate on driving safely, so the simpler the navigation instructions given, the better.

Things have got so irritating that I have downloaded and installed the "silent voice" onto my device, to shut the stupid SatNag up. I now rely on the screen alone for directions, whilst still having the audible speed camera warnings active. Surely things shouldn't be like this !

Am I the only person to be irritated and frustrated by the way the current TomTom navigation warnings are delivered? Has anyone found a way to adjust the settings to give just ONE navigation direction at a time?

Andrew
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, no...
I find it useful (especially when it says things like "Turn left then take the 3rd right").

In fact, one of the most annoying things I find about the latest models/software is how they have STOPPED giving an early mention of a second instruction as you leave motorways and go up a slip road onto a roundabout.

My Go740 says "Take the exit, then go right at the roundabout, 3rd exit" so you have a chance to get yourself in the correct lane on the slip road.

But my Go1000 Just says "Take the exit" and waits until you are almost on the roundabout before giving any advice where to go next. This seems a real backward step and has often got me into difficulties.

(Having said that... on normal roundabouts, there often seems to be one more repeat of the instruction than I need or want. But I can live with that).

-------------------------

Are you saying it is only a software update that has done this or that you bought a new model?

Quote:
Many moons ago, my TT software used to give simple, clear navigation directions.....

Now, my TomTom XL IQ Routes device confuses and irritates me

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: