Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Differences between the free user group version and Orange's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Differences between the free user group version and Orange's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Telmap User Group
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guycopy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Differences between the free user group version and Orange's Reply with quote

Hi,

I would like to know what, if any, are the differences between the free user group version of Telmap and the Orange (Israel) version.

Orange charge a monthly fee for using their version of Telmap, while using the free version only requires some feedback. Is there a reason for that? Are there any features in the Orange version that are absent from the free one?

Also, will telmap remain free for the user group members when it is no longer beta?

Thanks,
Guy.
SyBorg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy,

The TUG version is beta. As such there may be any number of minor or major differences to one supplied through a comms provider. The TUG version is a v5 - is the Orange (Israel) one still v4.5?

For me the key thing to understand is that in exchange for getting a free, fully functioning satnav software I have to be aware that support is through this forum (or email) and that there may be parts of the application that are not working fully. There is also a chance that the application fails to work due to changes implemented in a minor update. There is also a request to feedback through this forum on the functionality, performance, enhancement requests etc.

If you can't live with the risk that your satnav software does not work then you should pay for the release version.

There are some areas that I've raised a few times about the change control process used when releasing beta versions of the software. There are now some high level release notes but we don't get advanced notice of when changes may come to our devices. It would also be useful to get more steer around areas the developers would like feedback on, as well as seeing where our input effects either the next version of the software or the future development roadmap.
guycopy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyBorg, thanks for your reply.

The Orange version and the downloadable version are very much the same. Both are v5, with a minor difference in the beta releases (b29 / b35 if I remember correctly). Nothing noticable.

It is a bit strange that Orange charge a monthly amount (of about $5) for a service one would get for free. Feedback is always a good idea and I will gladly supply it to make the application better, and regarding support - well, I'm sure that Orange's support will be confined to "Oh, it doesn't work? come here and we'll reinstall". There doesn't seem to be anything else they can do, technically.

Strange world.
TUGAdmin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guycopy,
Yes - the two versions will be very similar outside of the branding of the application. You may also see differences in the content available between different versions.

In the TUG we try to provide you with the latest versions available so in some cases you may see functionality there before it reaches our commercial versions.

Another thing to note is that usually with commercial version, the data you use in the application is included in your subscription. In the TUG it's up to you to ensure you have a data package.

Thanks
TUGAdmin

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Telmap User Group All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: