Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Should I buy a new TomTom?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I buy a new TomTom?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Should I buy a new TomTom? Reply with quote

I have used TTs quite successfully over the last 5 years or so ranging from a One thru the 520 and more recently a 540. The feature I value most on the 540 is the LIVE traffic which I believe to have improved over time and whilst not perfect still seems to outperform anything else. Very close behind is the PGPSW speed camera database which has saved my skin more than once Very Happy

I now have a chance to sell my 540 and am considering my options. However reading the reviews of the Via and 1000 series models it seems as if I could be buying into a whole heap of problems, many of which don't seem to have been sorted or have they? Reading the most recent posts some people seem to be happy, others don't.

I don't require FM / Bluetooth capability - just a decent Satnav with good traffic warnings and the ability to embed the speed camera database. I also want European maps this time.

I am considering the Via 120 Live or the TT 1000.

However, are there any Garmins or Navigons I should also consider, they seem to have some nice features but I am concerned about their traffic management capabilities.

My budget is £200 plus or minus £20 or so

Your comments would be welcomed, thanks.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you want European maps, there is probably little reason to move from the 540 (assuming it still works OK) until something that does more, does it better and does it reliably comes along. At the moment I am not sure that such a device exists.

Likewise I would like something better to replace the 940, but at the moment the only benefit I would get would be a bigger screen and faster calculations, then there are the drawbacks, well discussed on these forums.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same camp as MrT, I'd love a bigger screen with better graphics & faster calculations & if TomTom had released a finished product with the 1000, without all the problems & draw backs I'd have one gracing my dashboard now. As it is, my 550 will continue to do most of the things I want while I wait for the next TomTom model which is probably waiting in the wings somewhere and will hopefully address some of the shortcomings of the latest 1000 range, although I'm not holding my breath for that!!
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a TT man, this hurts, but Garmin are getting good reviews at the moment. Darren & MaFt have favourably reviewed both the Nuvi 2360 & 3760 (its a 3790 without Voice Command) in these forums. Amazon.uk have them (and the 3790) for sale at your price range. They may be a bit over specd for you needs, but hey!

Pop over to the Garmin Forums to get a "feel" for these units.

Although I do not know him, forum member M8TJT strikes me as a sensible person and he raves about iGO, maybe worth a consideration? but I find their website sparse to say the least.

But I agree with MrT & IanS100, if your 540 is working Ok, hang on to it for a bit longer.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Last edited by AliOnHols on Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
Although I do not know him, forum member M8TJT strikes me as a sensible person and he raves about iGO.
Why, thank you kind Sir Very Happy
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
iGO, maybe worth a consideration? but I find their website sparse to say the least.

they're more a white-label (OEM) company really - providing software for various companies. motorola use them in eastern europe as bundled smartphone navigation software. they have also provided the software for mio, myguide, binatone and panasonic among others.

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In TomTom's favour:
TT's IQ routing does seem to knock spots off the competition, and the speed of the routing calculation on the Go1000/5 and Via models is astounding, compared to the older models.

IF ONLY TomTom would produce a genuinely full-featured model with the Go1000 engine inside (basically a Go940 on steroids!) it would be a world beater.

Last edited by Andy_P on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy with my GO 1000.

OK, it still has a few functions missing such as mapshare, but as a satnav it's been very reliable with no rebooting issues that previous models suffer from.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the various feedback. I do need the European maps so eventually invested in a Via 125 Live from Halfords. At a price of £199 plus £20 cash back it seemed a pretty good deal. As much as I liked the 1000 range I couldn't personally justify the extra £70

Now all I need to do is get the PGPS World cameras loaded. That should be fun Laughing
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did they manage to release the 1000 with so many problems? I mean - no mapshare??? What are they on?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is money problems.....
They needed to get SOMETHING new out on the streets, and the bean-counters overruled the engineers who said it wasn't ready.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so an update on the first 24 hours.......

Looks to be a nice piece of kit, not sure why they had to go and design the USB connection in the way they did since it seems there are not yet any chargers on the market that will fit into the recess..... not the end of the world.

Usual issues on connecting - required an OS update which then hung half way through with stern comments not to disconnect the unit from the PC. Cue a 30 minute call to TomTom who talked me through the necessary steps to reinstall so that now I do have an option to Add Shared POIs....

Now it seems that I require a map update but it's not loading either through my PC or another PC in the household so the call is outstanding. Have to say though that the TT rep was very helpful, pleasant etc. and more than a little frustrated himself.

Will leave trying to install the PGPSW camera d/base until the new map issue is resolved.

All in all, a fairly typical first 24 hrs with a new TT Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perussell wrote:
All in all, a fairly typical first 24 hrs with a new TT Wink

What a sad reflection, the statement of the century! By contrast, my first TT was a GO300 in 2005. My first 24 hours doesn't count, because I'm the sort who plugs it in, struggles and then somebody says RTFM - I don't, but I pick up enough to do something properly!

My second 24 hours was 100% successful. I later looked at one of my zillions of A-Z maps to see how I would have gone "there" to compare with how the TT got me there and discovered I would have truly floundered using the paper map. I haven't used my paper maps since that second day in 2005, although I carried them in the back of the van for years, "just in case" (not long ago I posted a list of maps worth over £230 still sitting in a box in my shed).

So it's a tremendous shame to hear latest users find themselves saying things like this. TomTom haven't had as good a device since the 300/500700 series (I've bought most of them, with high hopes, only to be disappointed) and it could have been so much different. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must cost them a fortune employing all the technical support staff to talk people through set-ups.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
TomTom haven't had as good a device since the 300/500700 series

I disagree. Evil or Very Mad

In my opinion the GO 1000 has been the best TomTom so far.

Yes, it has been a slow start, but everything that should 'currently' work does work without any problems. Very Happy

I have bought TV's and PVR's that needed to wait for firmware updates to enable all functions. It's just the way companies do business these days that you need to get used to. Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: