Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Optical Lattice Clocks - Improved GPS Accuracy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Optical Lattice Clocks - Improved GPS Accuracy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Optical Lattice Clocks - Improved GPS Accuracy Reply with quote

Super Accurate Clock

Not sure that this would have a positional impact on satnavs for road navigation, as they are 'blunt instruments', but the possibility for improved height recognition might be useful for 'double-decker' roads.
Kia In-dash Tomtom

Last edited by Guivre46 on Sun May 15, 2011 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Optical Lattice Clocks - Improved GPS Accuracy Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
the possibility for improved height recognition might be useful for 'double-decker' roads.

Not to mention aircraft landing. Wink

Though International Atomic Time is 24 seconds adrift from the time we use, the article is not correct in saying that UTC and GMT differ.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Optical Lattice Clocks - Improved GPS Accuracy Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
[the article is not correct in saying that UTC and GMT differ.

Yes they do....(but only a bit Cool )

Quote:
An atomic clock is highly accurate, however atomic time is slightly faster than earth time. As a result, atomic time will gradually drift out of synchronisation with GMT. UTC thus uses atomic clocks to measure the rate of time and adjusts the absolute time when necessary to keep UTC within 0.9 seconds of GMT. This adjustment is known as a "leap second".
(http://www.horology-stuff.com/time/standards.html
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Optical Lattice Clocks - Improved GPS Accuracy Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Skippy wrote:
[the article is not correct in saying that UTC and GMT differ.

Yes they do....(but only a bit Cool )

Quote:
An atomic clock is highly accurate, however atomic time is slightly faster than earth time. As a result, atomic time will gradually drift out of synchronisation with GMT. UTC thus uses atomic clocks to measure the rate of time and adjusts the absolute time when necessary to keep UTC within 0.9 seconds of GMT. This adjustment is known as a "leap second".
(http://www.horology-stuff.com/time/standards.html

OK, this is geeky stuff Cool but:

UTC is based on the time kept by an atomic clock.
UT1 is based on the actual rotation of the earth (which varies from one year to the next) and leap seconds are added to UTC to keep it within 0.9 seconds of UT1.

That's all well and good, but here's the question:

Does GMT = UTC or does GMT = UT1?

I would argue that for all intents and purposes, when people speak of GMT they are talking about UTC, therefore GMT = UTC. A lot of sat navs re-enforce this confusion by reporting the time as GMT (perhaps with an offset for your current timezone) but they are actually reporting UTC. GMT has become ambiguous but effectively GMT is now exactly = to UTC.

To argue that GMT differs from UTC (even by less than a second), you would have to show me a timesource that reports GMT as UT1 and I don't think there are any... Certainly in the scientific community (where they would care are about the UT1 time) they wouldn't use the abbreviation GMT because it would cause confusion. They would say UT1 or UTC.

So is the < 0.9 seconds really important between friends? Absolutely! I have worked with a number of systems over the years where times needed to be synchronised within a few milliseconds of UTC though we still talked about the time in GMT (being right across the river from Greenwich where time was invented, old habits die hard!).

I guess the confusion arises because historically, GMT was indeed based on solar observations (as UT1 is) but today everyone who refers to GMT name is talking about UTC, not UT1. Indeed, I would be surprised if anyone beyond the scientific and astronomical communities even knows or cares what the current UT1 time is. Anyone here know what the current UT1 to UTC offset is, roughly? Wink

Or is all that just too geeky. I think I need a beer. Smile
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://tf.nist.gov/pubs/bulletin/leapsecond.htm

http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp50/NISTUTC.cfm

Not that any equipment I have needs anything like this accuracy. I line my scope up with a handheld compass.
Kia In-dash Tomtom

Last edited by Guivre46 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We Brits invented GMT so there. All you other UTC's UT1's Whatevers, go shove it. Very Happy You'll be trying to take the Grenwich Meridian off us next. Oops, you already have Shocked

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: