Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The Term 'Pratnav' - Heard it Before?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The Term 'Pratnav' - Heard it Before?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
voyager
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: The Term 'Pratnav' - Heard it Before? Reply with quote

Anyone heard that term before?

We are currently on a Spanish camp site where I came across the March 2009 issue of Truck & Driver magazine.

In the 'news' section was a small article titled, Cracking down on the 'pratnav' problem.

The article basically relates to the growing number of incidents involving trucks and large vehicles getting stuck, causing chaos in their wake having been directed down unsuitable roads or routes by their Sat Nav.

The Welsh Assembly are trying to address this problem by installing blue and white signs depicting a satellite beneath which is a lorry with red bar diagonally across it and beneath the lorry is a white arrow pointing to the left.

This is a 12 month trial which will become permanent if successful.

What I'm wondering is do the authorities pass on these known locations to the Sat Nav companies, but to which one would they report, or is there a central body who co-ordinate such information and send it out to ALL Sat Nav manufacturers?

Mick
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *do* like the term "pratnav". I hope it catches on. Smile

As for the signs, I think I've seen a picture of something similar on this forum before, so the idea is already up and running.
voyager
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, I've been away from the forum for some time.........long story so shall try and find the thread you mention, in the mean time folks keep em comming. Very Happy

Mick
greggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mick, the term ( pratnav ) as been used by truckers for a couple of years now.
the reason because unfortunatly some truck drivers are so thick and stupid they just follow the satnav device as gospel.
i have used a tom tom since god was a boy, 1st the original go then.

the 300,700,910, and now the 550 live

it has never let me down because after i input my next delivery i always check with my truckers atlas. but the inportant thing is ,,, if a road looks dodgy i do not use it. end of.just remember the sat nav is designed for cars and small vans. not 44 ton artics. although such as snooper/tom tom to name a few who have got hgv/pcv compatible pratnavs. they still have a long way to go to make them 99% foolproof.

untill that day comes then i strongly suggest when using a sat nav with an hgv/pcv be very carefull and double check with a truckers atlas with bridge heights.

oh and my tom tom 550 has all the bridge heights too.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: