Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Truck and Caravan add ons
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Truck and Caravan add ons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Truck and Caravan add ons Reply with quote

I am considering purchasing one of the 70 series units. I am a HGV driver and am looking for a unit for work and am looking at getting the truck add on.

Has anyone tried this and if so does it work?
inthe128
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the truck map add on, although I have a TomTom with truck installed and as that seems to do the job very well, so I use that.

I have yet to use it in the UK, but mainland Europe, east, west and central for me has caused oddness. It certainly routes different to a car, but the routes are a bit to whacky for me, an example would be driving to Poland towards Wrocław on the E40 and it telling me to turn off at Dresden and follow the E55, then A roads to Cottbus, crossing into Poland at Forst, thats a long detour around and for no reason as the E40 has no restrictions. It tries to re-route until it joins A18 which is the road down from Forst.

A few other examples of whacky routing lead me not to trust it and it does seem happy to put you under a low bridge without warning, so i do feel the truck data is not advanced, cannot speak of the UK.

Setting the truck stuff is easy, got all the weight, total, axel, widths and so on, but after using TomTom Truck this is not as good by a long way, also borrowed ProNav and CoPilot truck and I would say they are better.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark why not try the renault or copilot apps for iphone as they the renault one is basicly copilot might be a cheeper option

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
inthe128
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta agree with Alex regards Copilot, it does seem very good, if you are looking the smart phone option.

Trusting the data, mapping, routing is a bit like giving a paper map to someone sat in the passenger seat, I know I will want to stop and take a look myself, so if something I have learnt in the years of having these things is not to trust them to the ends of the earth.

I would check a route given to me and adjust as I am the one reading the map and not the device, I view it as an electronic map, so I do like the TomTom as its easy to view the map, move around it, check stuff, drop POI in, so I would also suggest looking how units feel, if you want to input an address they can all do that, but I would worry that being the end of it driving anything bigger than a car, so for me its important that the device can be used as a map.

The Navigon I have is not very easy to use as a map, the TT scores well as i can browse a the map, use find and zoom in and out and move around, look at a map, the Navigon is much harder to do that, I have a Garmin and its the same problem, great Sat Nav, but if I want to look at a route, its not easy. The TT is a great electronic map and all the POI can be visible, I am disappointed that in truck mode you cannot see what you are avoiding though. I get around that by downloading separate bridge heights for example.

I am liking Copilot, got it on my iPhone, the menu system is useful for setting up routing and it manages most of the TT tricks and a few others I would put that on your list, but as i want an electronic truckers atlas I still like the my old TomTom 720 with the truck map and some POI.

Having used the Navigon in truck mode, I cannot recommend it at this time.
geordieboy64
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Navigon truck Reply with quote

Hi all i do own a navigon 70 truck and found it an excellent product while it was working sadley it has now died and i'm awaiting a replacement unit the only thing that really Narked me with it was. You can add custom poi but you cannot update them on the unit itself without editing the file it's stored in or storing it as a favourite.i travel a lot miles and found the static camera very good but i have added the PGW specs and mobile cameras to the My poi file you can see them but don't get any warnings which is a bit of a shame. the routing i found a whole lot better than tt truck as it gives you options for different routes to look at on the screen before you pick one ( and trust me tt Truck has given me a few silly routes over my time with it.). the lane guidance feature is very good. All in all i would say navigon have got a winner just needs a few simple bug's ironed out.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: