Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Forced Home & Navcore updates. Is 9.058 safe?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Forced Home & Navcore updates. Is 9.058 safe?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildcard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Forced Home & Navcore updates. Is 9.058 safe? Reply with quote

I see from the other threads - the latest Home update is a forced upgrade and once done it then prevents an opt out of the Navcore update . I currently run a 940 with 8.371 and have avoided 9.058 until now due to all the problems reported here.
Should I go ahead with the Home and Navcore upgrades or wait and hope TT back off this dictatorial policy. I use the Live traffic service and do not want to lose this - could probably live without Google and the rest.
Regards
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I read the problems with x40s and 9.058 depend on which version of the internal SIM card you have in your device. There is a thread on here somewhere that refers to this.

There's this: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=84557&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=sim&start=0

But I thought I'd read some references to actual SIM serial numbers.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Forced Home & Navcore updates. Is 9.058 safe? Reply with quote

wildcard wrote:
I see from the other threads - the latest Home update is a forced upgrade and once done it then prevents an opt out of the Navcore update . I currently run a 940 with 8.371 and have avoided 9.058 until now due to all the problems reported here.
Should I go ahead with the Home and Navcore upgrades or wait and hope TT back off this dictatorial policy. I use the Live traffic service and do not want to lose this - could probably live without Google and the rest.
Regards

Yes, go for it. Very, very few (if any) have found fault with it.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few x50 owners had problems. Many x40 owners did though.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also a number of bugs 9.058 which have been well discussed here.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I think the upgrade is worth it overall. Yes, there are some bugs (and it was good to hear of a beta for an update!), but it is a nicer system as-is, and I stick with it. That said, I do have it on an SD card so that if it all goes horribly wrong I can pull the card and I'm on the old firmware. But I've never felt I needed that yet.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per my signature I stuck with it but I suspect most of that I down to the fact I hardly use it anymore. If I had use it on a day to day basis the bugs would cause me to revert back to the NavCore 8.

Either I missed franb's sarcasm or franb missed the dozens of pages on here discussing the faults. Oh and the poll......
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Either I missed franb's sarcasm or franb missed the dozens of pages on here discussing the faults. Oh and the poll......

No sarcasm whatsoever.
Just my own observations on a dozen or so x40's & x50's using 9.058 compared with any previous versions.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

franb wrote:
PaulB2005 wrote:

No sarcasm whatsoever.
Just my own observations on a dozen or so x40's & x50's using 9.058 compared with any previous versions.

So none of them suffer the following issues?

1) Automatic 3D/2D switch does not work as described. If you set the unit to use 3D when following a route, it doesn't. You have to manually switch it yourself.

2) Route doesn't clear when you reach your destination.

3) If you switch the unit off with a route still set the battery runs down a lot quicker than if you don't.

4) Traffic Bar doesn't appear for 3-5 minutes after switching on. Now this only seems to apply to the x40s but it is a real issue.

TomTom have admitted this issues affect quite a few customers and they are working on a new NavCore (9.012) at the minute. Coupled with the threads here surrounding these problems I find your assertion that "Very, very few (if any) have found fault with it" to be laughable at best. I would suspect the truth is "some have issues, some don't" which is far from your claim.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact I'll see your dozen units without issues and raise you 21 that do - here

Out of the 40 that responded 21 had issues on both x40 and x50 models.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, on that note, have any x40 owners actually been brave enough to try out the 9.120 software?

I have it on my 950 and have had no issues. A couple of minor cosmetic changes as mentioned in the thread.

I wonder if this new navcore fixes some of the issues that current x40 users face?

Steven

iPhone 12
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
Paul, on that note, have any x40 owners actually been brave enough to try out the 9.120 software?

I have it on my 950 and have had no issues. A couple of minor cosmetic changes as mentioned in the thread.

I wonder if this new navcore fixes some of the issues that current x40 users face?

Steven

Yes, i did. It fixed many of the problems but i couldn't get the LIVE Services to work. here

Also the definative list of faults with 9.058 is there too (on the previous page)...

Quote:
1. Screen Changes to 2D Mode From 3D Mode When A Route is Cleared and Does Not Change Back to 3D Mode When A New Route Is Selected.

2. Battery Runs Down Quickly When The Unit Is Powered Down Unless Clear Route Is Used Before The Unit is Turned Off.

3. Route is Not Cleared Automatically When "You Have Reached Your Destination" is Announced

4. Announcemement of Arrival At A Way Point and/or Verbal Count Down of Distance to Arrival At A Way Point (eg Petrol Station) does not work

5. No Verbal Announcement That Traffic On Your Route Has Changed, Even Though Options Are Set For The Unit To Do This. In Navcore 8.371 This "Traffic Has Changed" Announcement Was Read Out When There Was New Traffic Info On Route.

6. Petrol Prices - Still Many Dead Stations in Database or Stations With No Price Update For Many Weeks or Months.

7. Google Live Search Does Not Work Properly For Many Destinations and the POI is Often up to a Mile Out Compared to the Actual Place on the Ground.

8. Basic Road and Place Address Details Are Not Shown Against A Petrol Station POI WIthout Using Show Info and This is Greyed Out Nearly All The Time For Petrol Stations.

9. Heavy Screen Pressure Required For Input To Be Recognised on 940 Unit Compared to Screen Pressure Required Under Navcore 8.371 on my 940 or Pressure Required for X50 Unit With Navcore 9.058

10. Volume Sometimes Impossible To Increase From Low Level Setting in 3D View When On The Move. Have to Change to 2D View To Change It.

Not sure about all of them though i thought 5 was still working but.... Confused
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:

Also the definative list of faults with 9.058 is there too (on the previous page)...

WHO's "definitive list"???? (oh, it's the banned Wacky Races....)

It's a very odd list... a combination of bugs, misconceptions and his personal "wishlist" as far as I can see!

Quote:
1. Screen Changes to 2D Mode From 3D Mode When A Route is Cleared and Does Not Change Back to 3D Mode When A New Route Is Selected.

My 940 does this OK.
I have it in 3D mode with a route planned. I can go to Clear Route in the menu. The display stays in 3d.

Quote:
2. Battery Runs Down Quickly When The Unit Is Powered Down Unless Clear Route Is Used Before The Unit is Turned Off.

Never noticed. I use it on the charger in the car, but spend a lot of time playing with it in front of the PC.
When it runs low, I stick a USB cable in. Simples.

Quote:
3. Route is Not Cleared Automatically When "You Have Reached Your Destination" is Announced

Can't remember.. not going out now to check! But I think it does, or it doesn't bother me if it doesn't!

Quote:
4. Announcemement of Arrival At A Way Point and/or Verbal Count Down of Distance to Arrival At A Way Point (eg Petrol Station) does not work

Has anyone ever said this is a feature? I don't think I've ever heard of it. Yes, it would be nice to have it, but it's certainly not a bug if it simply isn't there.

Quote:
5. No Verbal Announcement That Traffic On Your Route Has Changed, Even Though Options Are Set For The Unit To Do This. In Navcore 8.371 This "Traffic Has Changed" Announcement Was Read Out When There Was New Traffic Info On Route.

On mine, if Traffic changes and there is a faster route available, it DOES read that out. I can choose whether to accept the new route and if I wish I can use voice recognition to do so by

Quote:
6. Petrol Prices - Still Many Dead Stations in Database or Stations With No Price Update For Many Weeks or Months.

True, but absolutely nothing to do with v9.058 or any other software version for that matter. Simply an issue with the Petrol Prices database and it's useless provider.

Quote:
7. Google Live Search Does Not Work Properly For Many Destinations and the POI is Often up to a Mile Out Compared to the Actual Place on the Ground.

That's GOOGLE. Try it on your PC!

Quote:
8. Basic Road and Place Address Details Are Not Shown Against A Petrol Station POI WIthout Using Show Info and This is Greyed Out Nearly All The Time For Petrol Stations.

Again, is this a bug? Is it any different in earlier software?

Quote:
9. Heavy Screen Pressure Required For Input To Be Recognised on 940 Unit Compared to Screen Pressure Required Under Navcore 8.371 on my 940 or Pressure Required for X50 Unit With Navcore 9.058

Not on my machines... I have a 940 and a 950 in front of me and I cannot feel any significant difference in touch response between them.

Quote:
10. Volume Sometimes Impossible To Increase From Low Level Setting in 3D View When On The Move. Have to Change to 2D View To Change It.

Never seen this!

----------------

I tried to get Wacky Races to start new topics about each of these individual issues so we could try to get to the bottom of why he was seeing so many things I wasn't. But he was far to keen to just rant at length about everything all at the same time, so I gave up.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant it was a list of problems mentioned by users. It wasn't supposed to be an authoritative list.

The 3D bug definitely happens on mine - as I've already said the problems happen on some and don't on others, but the situation is far from the claimed "very few had issues" I also said I wasnt sure about all of them.

The route not clearing definitely does happen with mine too as does the battery drain whilst switched off. This means that when I arrive at a destination if I forget to Clear Route when I later need to do something like search for location or plan a route the battery doesnt last long. At that point the only option is to go to the car and plug in. Not always so "simples". In the past I would have had a fully charged battery to use. No more.

Whilst I appreciate that some have trouble free units ive waited six months for TomTom to fix the problems that do exist for some users. To date nothing has materialised other than a Beta for the x50 range which doesnt bode well for the x40 users who seem to be affected by the bugs to a greater extent. Esp the Traffic Bar bug.
haiderijaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So guys, after all the problems what do you suggest should i go for updating my navcore on 740 or not? Please i need serious advice

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: