Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO730 won't start up.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO730 won't start up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edmo117
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: GO730 won't start up. Reply with quote

I have a Go730 and if started to freeze recently. Pushing the reset and starting again would recover the situation for a short time but it would freeze again.

Last night it worked fine and I could turn it on and off without any problem but this morning it will not come on at all. I have reset it and charged it etc but nothing brings it back to life.

Removing it from the case and checking for voltages etc it is clear that pushing the on/off button does turn on the power and I have both 1.8v and 3.6v at various points on the main PCB. These only turn off when reset is pushed, you cannot turn them off with the on/off button. Because of this, I wonder if the main processor has somehow lost its programme code or operating system.

Does anyone have any ideas what I could try next please?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my limited knowledge the on-off button does not fully turn the unit off, it only puts it to sleep. The reset button on the base will fully turn it off when it is asleep.

Mine was behaving a bit like this before my replacing the battery. After the battery replacement it would not start beyond the splash screen as it was looking for the now non-existant bluetooth. However it would boot when connected to the PC USB and I could get into it to delete the configuration file which then allowed it to boot.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running from the SD Card, or the Internal Memory? Have you tried both?

Can you connect it to a PC, and is it recognised? Can you explore the files that are on the unit?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Edmo117
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Are you running from the SD Card, or the Internal Memory? Have you tried both?

Can you connect it to a PC, and is it recognised? Can you explore the files that are on the unit?

I am running on the internal memory, no SD card fitted - never has been.

I cannot get it to connect to the PC because it will not even put up the start screen so no joy.

Thanks for the interest
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the internal memory could have failed (not uncommon on the Gox20 and x30 models by now).

If you have a good backup, try installing it all onto an SD card and running the device from that. I have a Go720 that has been working like this for over a year or more.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the old 520 actually worked better from a fast SD card
Edmo117
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Sounds like the internal memory could have failed (not uncommon on the Gox20 and x30 models by now).

If you have a good backup, try installing it all onto an SD card and running the device from that. I have a Go720 that has been working like this for over a year or more.

It actually belongs to my nephew so I will e-mail and ask about a backup. I have read about this on other web sites - copy files from it using explorer - not TThome and then re-format the internal mamory before re-installing all the files to SD or internal memory.

Thanks for the reminder
young-goat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem.

My GO530 was connected to my computer a few days ago and the computer shutdown unexpectedly, and I was unable to use 'Safely Remove Hardware'
The GO wouldn't start after that but it would connect to my computer, so I restored a backup, but used the existing map folder. It seemed to work all right after that but took ages to start after a pin reset. Today, in an attempt to fix that problem. I did the backup all over again, but, it seems that by mistake, I did it onto the SD card I had in it, which had all my mp3's and pictures on ( no great loss, they can all be recovered from my computer)
Now the unit will not start unless I have the SD card in it.

In ' My Computer', If I click on Removable Disk J: it it says "Please insert a disk into Drive J: (so I cant format it and start again)
If I click on TT Go ( I: ) it shows the whole system ( root ?) that was previously on the internal memory.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: