Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anybody here using an HTC Desire HD?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody here using an HTC Desire HD?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Anybody here using an HTC Desire HD? Reply with quote

Anybody here using an HTC Desire HD?

I understand that it has some form of built in mapping and navigation application which uses maps you can download via Wifi and save on your SD card. However on an Android forum I subscribe to I am getting conflicting and confusing advice (may just be me) about how it works and whether or not you pay for it. So I thought I would ask the real experts here.

How does it work? Do you have to pay to get real sat nav turn by turn instructions? What is it like? Can you download any maps you want or are you limited?

Many thanks in advance.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help, but would be interested in the responses.

However, it occurs to me that the software included with it, and any charges, may depend on which network provides the phone.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
I can't help, but would be interested in the responses.

However, it occurs to me that the software included with it, and any charges, may depend on which network provides the phone.

Not according to what I have read and been told. This is HTC's own software fitted to all Desire HD phones supposedly, according to their website.
Copilot for USA
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be only Google maps.

Features:

Web Browser
Office Document Viewer (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
PDF Viewer
Flash 10
DLNA Wireless Media Sharing
Digital Compass
Google Maps

Other comments:

Maps That Never Let You Down:
Can't get online? No problem. On-device maps are always ready to help you explore your world.

Maps That Never Keep You Waiting:
Experience zero-wait when zipping and zooming around your maps. Now that the maps are loaded right on your phone, you don't have to wait… and wait… and wait...

Maps Good. Maps Plus Compass… Better:
Never scratch your head wondering which way to turn! With Locations – the map integrates with the compass so it always points you in the direction you need to go – instant orientation.

Never Miss a Turn – Because of a Call:
Don't worry about missing the next turn when a call comes in. Your map stays on screen while a call bar gently slides its way into view.

Satisfy Your Urge to Peek Ahead:
Stopped at a red light? Now you can take a virtual helicopter tour of the rest of your trip while you wait for the light to change.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this helps but I am a new owner of an Android (2.1) Motorola Defy and I like using Open Street Maps.

From the Android Market I have downloaded and installed OsmAnd (see my signature) to my phone. I have not yet tried any kind of navigation with the device; I am still learning how to get the optimum settings for my usage but forums state how good navigation is, others of course, say how good it is NOT. When I am confident with my settings I shall start to use navigation.

I have downloaded all of UK, all of Andorra, all of Spain and half of France together with all relevant POI's and the En-Voice pack. I have downloaded map files for Driving and for Cycling to zoom level 19.

I download the App and Maps at home to my phone using Wi-Fi connected to my home Internet connection. All downloaded maps can be used at a later date without any network connections - only GPS needs to be enabled.

The OsmAnd app and it's data is currently occupying 750Mb on my 8Gb MicroSD card.

I like OSM and have been contributing to it for quite some time. The maps are very complete and usable. However, this is a community project and it is Work-In-Progress.

Whilst driving/cycling, I am able to spot a map error/omission where one exists and correct it, upload the data and then have a fully up-to date map in my next download.

All maps are free and reasonably up-to-date, most of the world is covered.
More users = More contributors = Better Maps.

Hope you find this of interest.

Sorry for the un-disguised plug for OSM.

EDIT - Some spelling.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to answer.

PocketGPS - the Desire HD definitely has its own mapping and nav app on board (called Locations). Google Nav does not provide on-device maps. With Locations you are supposed to be able to download maps and save them onto the SD card. I am trying to find out how far that extends and how much it costs. Android forums suggests that it is mostly free, but if you want to use turn by turn directions you have to pay to have it implemented.

AliOnHols - I am aware of OSM, but they are reported to not be up to date in many areas.

Again if anybody with a Desire HD could help me with this I would be grateful. I am trying to decide whether it should be my next phone in a couple of months time and need to know how good the system is, whether you pay for it and what maps you can download. Also whether the maps work with Google Nav
Copilot for USA
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No help yet but...

after much research I have decided to get one when my current contract is due an upgrade (April 8th) to replace my full of potential but very disappointing Nokia N97

I've been following your thread on Android Forums and like you I am still not 100% sure what you get for free

Hopefully when I get it I may be able to be of more assistance
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On this weeks BBC Click (scroll the video to 2:04) there was mention of two free alternatives for Android.

navmii and andnav

navmii is currently available on iPhone and andnav is an open source project.

Have not got my HD yet but will give them a look in the future.

Rick
guydavies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: HTC Desire HD Reply with quote

Hi,

I use an HTC Desire HD. The built-in "premium navigation" is based on Route66's navigation engine and TomTom's maps. The navigation engine is not as good as my experience with my old TTGO700. It makes some peculiar routing choices occasionally, but it's generally OK. Nor is the GUI as intuitive in my view.

The maps are free, as far as I can tell, but you have to pay to either subscribe for a month, annually or you can get a perpetual license for the app to use the maps for various regions ranging from a single country up to the whole of Europe, N America, etc.

I am mildly irritated by the fact that there is no single download for Europe or even W Europe. You have to go and find the maps and download them individually. Finding them is easy, but picking all the ones you want and downloading them is tedious. Route66 and HTC say there is no immediate plans to put them into single regional maps.

The prices are pretty reasonable (€49 for a perpetual license for W. Europe, €39 for USA, IIRC). I don't know if the maps are linked to a particular version of the app, so if you want to upgrade the free maps you have to upgrade your non-free app. That would be really sneaky and bad (but not unexpected :-( ).

One thing I did find was that when I rooted and flashed a new ROM onto my DHD, some ROMs didn't play nicely with the premium navigation causing the app to crash. I've now found one that I like, it's quick and it plays nicely with premium navigation, so I'm sticking with that for now Smile

Rgds,

Guy
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy - thank you for that comprehensive info - exactly what I was looking for.

I am afraid Route 66 has not enjoyed a good reputation on this forum (I have never used it myself). And the prices sound high when compared with, for example, copilot. In any event I already own Sygic for Europe and Copilot for the USA, so I will probably arrange for those to be moved to the new phone.

Based on your information I think I have concluded that when making comparisons of the models for my next phone I will ignore the "built in" mapping on the Desire HD.
Copilot for USA
guydavies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: HTC Desire HD Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

I looked into CoPilot and it looked to be almost twice the price for both Europe (€79) and USA (can't remember), compared to a perpetual Route66 license (note: I'm not related in any way to Route66 and I do have some "issues" with their software, as I described ;-).

[/Edit] I just checked again and it was Navigon that had very high prices. Copilot is very cheap for the US, strangely not so for Europe (about the same as a perpetual license for Route66/HTC's software).

One thing to note is that while you're in your home country, Google Maps makes a fair job of turn-by-turn instructions as long as you have a reasonably high data cap. The downside of GM is that there is no way to preload the maps so you must download new ones when you go to a new location (even if you configure an enormous cache for old ones).

I'll have to go hunting through the forum to look for reviews of Route66. I haven't been here in ages but my renewed interest in getting a reliable turn-by-turn navigation for my DHD and the regular newsletter arriving in my inbox triggered me to come back :-)

Rgds,

Guy
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy

I bought Copilot for North America for $30 last year (about £20 at the time). It is now available in the market for £3 for the USA or £12 for the whole of North America (cheap as chips). Copilot for the UK is £17 and Europe is £49. But, as I said, I already own Sygic and Copilot so will use those again on my new phone.

I quite like Google Nav, which is the turn by turn Google navigation app. But it has let me down too many times in areas where 3G signal is poor or non-existent. And once you leave your home country it starts costing a fortune in data roaming. And no custom POIs, so no speed cameras (unless you run Cameralert alongside it), is a pain.
Copilot for USA

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: