Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CamerAlert Comes To Android
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CamerAlert Comes To Android
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fredbloggs123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Database not on sdcard Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
fredbloggs123 wrote:
Don't understand why the database has to be on the phone. The cameras I download for co-pilot reside on the sdcard why not these?

Never say never though, if and when we can run the app effectively with both app and data on SD, we will support that.

What device do you have?

HTC Desire
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 576MB RAM? You can't spare 2MB for the app?
fredbloggs123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: No room for Cameralert Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
With 576MB RAM? You can't spare 2MB for the app?
576Mb RAM is the spec on the box however in reality it's actually about 140Mb that you get to play with. Android and stuff (tech term) use about 430Mb and Google maps, Goggle mail etc help themselves to more as well. Hard reset a Desire and you have about 140Mb left with no apps installed at all. I've been through and deleted unwanted data and cache from apps but as soon as I use them that will reappear. I have to keep at least 17Mb spare as otherwise I get a warning that I'm out of memory and things start to slow or stop working properly. I've been backing up then uninstalling and reinstalling apps when I need them since about a week after I got the phone. I know it's cr@p and I don't know why they give us so little RAM. Although HTC/Android will say that's why we let you move stuff to the SDcard now!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - thanks. I don't have an Android handset currently (lost my Hero!) but I hadn't realised that.

Having discussed this, there are other reasons aside from pure speed, why we cannot consider moving the database to SD.
fredbloggs123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Update not working ? Reply with quote

I thought I'd give it another go but every time I start it I get a warning that I don't have the latest database. I've linked my account and downloaded the same database about 5 times but still get the warning whenever I start it? It's running on a HTC desire.
fredbloggs123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Update not working ? Reply with quote

fredbloggs123 wrote:
I thought I'd give it another go but every time I start it I get a warning that I don't have the latest database. I've linked my account and downloaded the same database about 5 times but still get the warning whenever I start it? It's running on a HTC desire.

I reread the previous posts and it seems that once you have installed the database you need to go to the application manager and force stop the app instead of exiting the normal way. After this it seems OK! Slight bug maybe? To early for me to say what will happen when a genuine update arrives.
burtonian
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Update not working ? Reply with quote

fredbloggs123 wrote:

Have you fully closed the app since downloading the database? Try force closing the app then restarting - worked for me on a Wildfire.

edit: I see you got there eventually!
Juniper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has been working perfectly for me on the bargain Orange San Francisco (using the MoDaCo Froyo ROM MCR R11). Just a little local driving on roads free of cameras, but I could see them on the map view. No force closes etc.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juniper wrote:
mrfrank wrote:
lbendlin wrote:
Nice one. Request duly noted. HOWEVER! Now you also need to come up with a good name for that feature. "good" meaning usable in UI terms.

What about under miscellaneous in the advanced settings, with wording "Launch app automatically" with short description and a tick box on the right side. Once you tick the box, it opens a new window where it shows the list of apps available taken from the main app grid? You can choose the app and that's it. You can then replace the short description with the name of the chosen app or similar.

Does it sound feasible? Or do you have a better idea?

Interesting discussion. This sounds like a good solution, and in keeping with the way Android settings usually work.

I would put forward the option as: "Auto-launch Other App" as this is a bit more clearer for AOL users!

MaFt
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs to be shorter and without abbreviations...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nav Launch?
SolidTechie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about

Foreground App
SolidTechie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of memory requirements, and SD card, please consider this a vote for that feature.

I have a Milestone - and really, I have no room left - I'm hoping that the imminent update to FroYo will alleviate some of the problems, but the more (on SD) the merrier. Currently, I do have 2MB free - but that would leave absolutely no margin for error - and as soon as someone adds a few bytes in the next update - I'm screwed.

Would it not be possible to even parse the camera file, since I'm not going to be passing cameras that are located more than say 10miles form my current location anytime soon? If that is feasible, then possibly some saving there.

Regards,

Ian
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SolidTechie wrote:
Would it not be possible to even parse the camera file, since I'm not going to be passing cameras that are located more than say 10miles form my current location anytime soon? If that is feasible, then possibly some saving there.

That's not an option - we download a SQL database of locations.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On newer Android devices you can move applications to SD card (including ours). Go to Manage Applications and then one by one move them to SD card. (some older apps won't have the option). See if that frees up enough memory.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: