Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Rechargeable Batteries
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Rechargeable Batteries
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPSwalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used 3xAA rechargable batteries from the start when I got my Active10 about four years ago. I have used Energiser batteries but have not tried others. During my time with the GPS batteries have improved and in my case increased from 2300mHr to the ones I now use 2650.

My mains charger did a full recharge in about one hour with the first ones and takes about 1 hr 15 mins with the higher capacity ones.

I have always favoured the AA option because they charge so quickly when I am out on consecutive days walking and limited recharge time.

It is very quick and easy to change batteries in the field. Remember to have the hibernate mode setting on so a sat lock is only lost for a few seconds at power up.

Also, I carry a spare set of fully charged batteries. At under £10 for 4xAAs from Gurnsey ordered on internet, this is a cheap enough option.

I get more than a full days walk (15 miles) with power to spare. I know this depends on individuals' own settings and options of course.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPSwalker wrote:
..... Remember to have the hibernate mode setting on so a sat lock is only lost for a few seconds at power up....

Thanks for that. I've just checked my settings and Hibernate Time Out was already on but I have adjusted some of the other Power Control settings so I shall see how it differs.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that sat lock is retained if you have hibernate on and then remove the batteries and replace them. Hibernate only works when batteries are kept in the unit is my experience.

But I do agree that generally speaking a lock can be obtained much quicker when you turn off the unit and turn it back on with a new set of batteries than if does if you have had it turned off for a couple of days.

I also use 2900 AA batteries and find that setting the Automatic Screen Turn off to 30 seconds gives me the longest and full days use on a set of batteries.
My Blog Geocache Trails
GPSwalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbo10 wrote:
I don't think that sat lock is retained if you have hibernate on and then remove the batteries and replace them. Hibernate only works when batteries are kept in the unit is my experience.

Yes, I'm sure you are right on that Gibbo10. The faster lock speed must be due to other reasons.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
5v ~ 600mA is half the TTś rating so I shalln't be using the TT adapter.

Why ever not? The fact that the TT supply can deliver more current doesn't mean that it always will - it depends on the load connected to it.

If you plug a 60watt lamp - requiring a quarter of an amp - into a 13 amp socket, it doesn't get get 13 amps - equivalent to over 3 kW - forced through it, does it? Similararly, the A10 connected to a TT supply will only take the current it needs.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everybody who replied. However I have since read on the SatMap website that the PowerMonkey is only to used with the LiPol battery. This, combined with the absence of anybody reporting back that they have connect an external power source whilst using AA batteries, convinces me that I shan't take the risk.

@rkm_hm, Although you are correct it doesn't stop things somehow defying physics, getting broken and voiding the manufacturers warranty. My very first mp3 player was an iRiver, sourced from the Uk the charger had a three pin plug. My Spanish Nokia phone had the two pin charger. Both gadgets required 5v and one day when I needed to to recharge my mp3 player I couldn't be bothered to find the correct charger so I used the Noikia one instead. Result = BanG!, no music and an international battle between iRiver and myself with me as the loser.

Since then I've always been cautious.

EDIT, both chargers were "Tip Positive"
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
@rkm_hm, Although you are correct it doesn't stop things somehow defying physics, getting broken and voiding the manufacturers warranty. My very first mp3 player was an iRiver, sourced from the Uk the charger had a three pin plug. My Spanish Nokia phone had the two pin charger. Both gadgets required 5v and one day when I needed to to recharge my mp3 player I couldn't be bothered to find the correct charger so I used the Noikia one instead. Result = BanG!, no music and an international battle between iRiver and myself with me as the loser.

Ok, you have a point. I should probably have added a caveat to my remarks, along the lines of "provided it is a regulated supply". If it is regulated, you'll still get 5v even at light loads, and there's no danger of putting too much current through your device. On the other hand, if it is not regulated, it probably has a high open-circuit voltage, and relies on the load to bring the voltage down - in which case too light a load may result in too high a voltage. Hopefully the TT power supply is regulated, but I don't know for sure.

But it's all irrelevant if you can's ue an external power supply in conjunction with AA batteries!

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: