Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Another tomtom 1000 update coming down
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Another tomtom 1000 update coming down
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhatter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Another tomtom 1000 update coming down Reply with quote

Just connected my 1000 again its downloading another update says 8 mins to go on screen.
madhatter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It installed but did not say what it had installed. Now got blue download arrow again. Icon now shows "Busy" please keep navigation device connected.
madhatter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok now finished. Don't know what it has done here are the versions from the status screen.

App 10.022.574650.29 (0) (3012, 13/9/2010)
gps 2.16.201 75147 , Boot 534808
Map :'Europe'v850.3018

Can someone check there version and see if its any different.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one thing's for sure - it's two maps behind the rest of us, so it wasn't updating map versions - maybe you got some MapShare corrections Joker

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Well, one thing's for sure - it's two maps behind the rest of us, so it wasn't updating map versions - maybe you got some MapShare corrections Joker

it doesn't do map share. it allows you to do corrections on your own device and even implies that you can share and receive other's corrections, but as it stands it doesn't!

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
DennisN wrote:

it doesn't do map share. it allows you to do corrections on your own device and even implies that you can share and receive other's corrections, but as it stands it doesn't!

MaFt

In the absence of anything who's to say it no longer stands there and maybe this update was to stand it in the corner so that it can do mapshare, or stand it on the naughty step or stand up and be counted or stand at ease - I am free to speculate as wildly as I wish and you can't contradict me, so there! One thing's for sure, it'll do magic stuff (like work) in the future - ask Xtraseller. Very Happy

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One thing's for sure, it'll do magic stuff (like work) in the future - ask Xtraseller.

It works very fine now thanks DennisN - including software updates via PC, it it only the Map Update feature that we are really waiting on, which should be soon. You ought to get one and find out for yourself, rather than rely on hear-say
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:

It works very fine now thanks DennisN - including software updates via PC, it it only the Map Update feature that we are really waiting on

I know you have your own agenda to promote the 1000 come-what-may, but that's just complete rubbish!

As far as I'm aware, we are still waiting on just about ALL the features that were missing at launch date.

Can you list all of the features you know for certain are now being downloaded by Home 3/My TomTom?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I find quite amusing is the FACT that nobody knows what the updates contain or what they are for, as the useless software informs you of nothing.

To claim software updates are working isn't quite true, the "update" could have been the device sending information to TomTom or even a new qGPS file for it to use - The qGPS file is another mute point, the receivers in all modern hardware including the Go1000 are that sensitive the qGPS file is redundant IMHO.

If/ when you can install the following to the device then its far from complete:

1/ Custom POI files AS WELL as the ogg audio files they work with.
2/ Itinerary files
3/ Phone book contents (phone connection so poor in terms of compatible devices this computer text file created phone book is required)
4/ Additional voices TTS
5/ Additional voices Human recorded
6/ Colour Schemes
7/ Additional maps
8/ Updates to maps
9/ Integrated Map Share (with other users)
10/ Custom Splash Screens

Thats ten items missing that spring to mind with not much thought, probably more if I could be bothered, without the above working I wouldn't call it complete, its miles away from anything like complete - Mike
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can you list all of the features you know for certain are now being downloaded by Home 3/My TomTom?

You need to read and understand the post - I did not claim to know what features were being downloaded, updated or otherwise. You clearly have your own agenda against TomTom at the moment, because if they don't offer custom POIs then PGPSW will loose a lot of future business. Simple as.

Quote:
To claim software updates are working isn't quite true, the "update" could have been the device sending information to TomTom or even a new qGPS file for it to use

And to claim it is not working isn't quite true either. You don't know and we do know that data was downloaded and transferred, so it is the second update to come through for my unit since launch

As for your list of ten, come on things like custom splash screens are a load of nonsense and you know it. As are most of the additional voice options TomTom offer on other units (and other manufactures). I accept a few choice (2-3) would be nice. Colour schemes - there are plenty there. Additional maps - for almost all of us, we buy the unit that comes with the appropriate map package, so again while it needs to be sorted for almost everyone not a deal-breaker

Same goes for itinerary - even though I need to do multi-stops through the day, I like many (but not all) prefer to do each leg separately. While perhaps this should be a feature in a top-end unit, but from what I read was never promised so isn't "missing"

Don't really use the bluetooth feature but my HTC Hero, iPhone4 and Palm Pre all connect no problem to the unit, and while if you are experiencing problems it is no excuse for it not working, but you shouldn't really be doing anything other than taking a quick incoming call with the unit when driving anyway

This forum is fast becoming a naggers corner for people who don't buy and try units (of ANY make), but just complain about features missing from units they were never really going to buy anyway. Come on guys, get a life and get back to the real topics on these forums
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no hidden agenda against TomTom, what I do take issue with is the release of a product that simply cannot be updated or add data to due to incomplete software. I also feel it rather important to mention the facts I posted above as we run in to Christmas in an attempt to warn users of the forum as to the true current state of any device dependent upon the rather pathetic capability of "MyTomTom"

It's not a PGPSW issue with TomTom as I speak as an individual, take some time to read the numerous other respected GPS related web sites from Mainland Europe to North America and message is the same as far as this device is concerned.

Having used a Go-1000 for around six months, yes that's six months not weeks I have a very good understanding of the products capability and in it's current state I could never recommend it or any other device dependent upon disfunctional computer based software - Mike
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you are missing the point Mike

For MOST people (not me or you) they never connect the unit to a computer anyway. For many more, it is very infrequent, and then only to get an automated software updates

There is around 20 sat nav users in my office - almost all us PCs and their Sat Navs daily - and I have to nag and drag them even to check their firmware is updated

So for the majority of people your advice would be wrong. The unit provides the best navigation a to b (with the inclusion of the superior HD Traffic and IQ Routes) of ANY sat nav out there, out of the box. Without question

If you wish to personalise it more in any way, then - for the moment - you have a point
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it offers better routing and traffic than an x40 or x50 live? I think that's where some longtime TomTom users have an issue. What about the 1000/1005 makes it a better navigation device than the older models I mention?
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Routing I presume is similar if not the same, HD Traffic is I understand at a faster refresh rate, the screen is sharper and brighter, the maps more detailed. The capacitive touch interface makes it a breeze to use, the slimmer, smarter build a nice product, the mag mount simplicity itself

Like I said for most of us, most of the time, this device wins handsdown. It may not be the one for you, so just don't buy it if that seems to be the case
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

You need to read and understand the post - I did not claim to know what features were being downloaded, updated or otherwise.

HaHa, that's wonderful. You assure people it IS being updated and then you admit you have no idea whether it is being updated or not.

All *I* can say is that none of the version number details on the system info screen have ever changed from any of these "updates".

xtraseller wrote:
You clearly have your own agenda against TomTom at the moment, because if they don't offer custom POIs then PGPSW will loose a lot of future business. Simple as.

Again.... laughable!
So I'm a moderator on this forum and I spend a bit of time checking the accuracy of people's submissions to for the speed camera database (in my own time and at my own expense). But I have absolutely no financial or business connection with PGPSW whatsoever, so your comments are ridiculous.

They are also perilously close to trolling now, so I think it's time I stopped rising to your bait, and let the reputation of the Go1000 and its update process speak for itself.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: