Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help needed to test our CamerAlert application on Android
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help needed to test our CamerAlert application on Android
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acefreecell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still crashes in map mode for me, not sure it would be a memory issue, as its a brand new phone with a handful of apps installed. The app itself is working fine, if used with the no map option and pops up in Google maps, but not the Google Navigation option (which is not bad for a free app, but can not select a short or fast route etc).

At the moment, I tend to use the CamerAlert app with the cameras on screen, or in the background mode. Tends to make me think about where the camera is.

One question, I have been down the same road 10 times now, the app shows a mobile camera location but no warning? Is this normal?

Motorola Defy with CamerAlert, NDrive 11, Co-Pilot Live and Google Maps

formally Garmin i3, Nuvi 200 and Origin BlueI
(Origin for sale)
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acefreecell wrote:
Still crashes in map mode for me, not sure it would be a memory issue, as its a brand new phone with a handful of apps installed.

can you send in the logs still though?

acefreecell wrote:
One question, I have been down the same road 10 times now, the app shows a mobile camera location but no warning? Is this normal?

do you travel both directions on the road? maybe it is not a reversible camera? or, unlikely but doesn't hurt to check, it has the wrong heading value? if you go to the main site submission map and locate the camera then hover over it it will overlay blue arrow(s) showing the direction the camera targets.

MaFt
acefreecell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
acefreecell wrote:
Still crashes in map mode for me, not sure it would be a memory issue, as its a brand new phone with a handful of apps installed.

can you send in the logs still though?

acefreecell wrote:

do you travel both directions on the road? maybe it is not a reversible camera? or, unlikely but doesn't hurt to check, it has the wrong heading value? if you go to the main site submission map and locate the camera then hover over it it will overlay blue arrow(s) showing the direction the camera targets.

MaFt

Thanks for the reply MaFt, will send logs to Lutz.

It is shown as a mobile camera and I did try both ways. But will check the ID etc and see what I can find out. I will check out the web as well.

(Origin for sale)
acefreecell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MaFt, location is:

53.00313, -1.44328

Shows no id and single direction, which is my direction of travel on the way home.

(Origin for sale)
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acefreecell wrote:
Shows no id
It's 45015. Wink

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acefreecell wrote:
It is shown as a mobile camera and I did try both ways. But will check the ID etc and see what I can find out. I will check out the web as well.

Looking on the map (see Oldboy's ID) it looks like it is the Z-bend that's messing things up. I.E. you are driving roughly south-west but the camera, after the bend, targets south-east... as silly as it sounds I have adjusted the heading value for the camera now so it is more towards south-west as this will give the required warning as you travel towards it, albeit around the corner!

thing is, you may then get the all clear shortly after turning the corner before reaching the site...

trust you to pick an awkward camera!! Laughing Out Loud

the only other option is to completely remove the heading data which will then alert from any direction (not ideal)

anyway, can you redownload the database now I've updated it and then try again when you get chance?

MaFt
wile
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
acefreecell wrote:

Looking on the map (see Oldboy's ID) it looks like it is the Z-bend that's messing things up. I.E. you are driving roughly south-west but the camera, after the bend, targets south-east... as silly as it sounds I have adjusted the heading value for the camera now so it is more towards south-west as this will give the required warning as you travel towards it, albeit around the corner!

thing is, you may then get the all clear shortly after turning the corner before reaching the site...

trust you to pick an awkward camera!! Laughing Out Loud

the only other option is to completely remove the heading data which will then alert from any direction (not ideal)

anyway, can you redownload the database now I've updated it and then try again when you get chance?

MaFt

Just a quick thought, or actually two: put 2 cameras in the same place, one facing south west and one facing south east. Or allow cameras facing 2 directions for awkward spot situations.

If you ask me I would rather get a false positive than get "all clear" when in fact it's not.
acefreecell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, will download new database and try again tomorrow.

The app is great, and saves having to have the SatNav on all the time.

I love this forum Laughing Laughing Laughing

(Origin for sale)
fxgopher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Linking to Ihpone & Android Reply with quote

I've got both and am a subscriber. How do I link my account to both versions of cameralert.

I've got tomtom on the iphone & co-pilot on my Tab

Cheers
Frank
acefreecell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update to my previous post about the camera detection. Just got back from work and the camera is detected fine now, just before the bend and round it as well, so getting an early warning and the all clear is after the camera. Great work MaFt.

(Origin for sale)
AntonM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for continuing the beta trial -- am using v1.0.0.333 on an HTC Desire running Android 2.2.

I'm still getting a "you're not using the latest database" intro message, even though I updated it a couple of hours ago (or could it have been updated again??).

Minor issue: When uninstalling the previous beta to install this new one, my phone reset itself and rebooted (yano -- the kachingkaching "quietly brilliant" screen). Not a major problem at the time, but just wondered if it's a wee bugette that could cause problems later, as it may unknowingly be transferred from one version to the next?

Request: Can we have a night-colours option, please. The screen's awful bright at night, even with Android's auto-dim enabled.

Suggestion: A "ting" when you pass the actual location of the camera, so that you can keep your eyes on the road rather than following the camera location on the android screen.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonM wrote:
Request: Can we have a night-colours option, please. The screen's awful bright at night, even with Android's auto-dim enabled.

do you mean the map? if so then no, we can't change them. you can, however, use the sattelite view which will generally be darker.

AntonM wrote:
Suggestion: A "ting" when you pass the actual location of the camera, so that you can keep your eyes on the road rather than following the camera location on the android screen.

in the settings you could change the all clear sound to a 'ding' instead of the default 'female voice' (which says 'all clear')

MaFt
AntonM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, MaFt.

I googled "google maps night mode" and found I'm not the only one who has a problem with the brightness setting! But I note that Google Maps Navigation does have a night mode, which activates automatically when Google believes it's night at my location. So perhaps Google will soon release the how-to for developers?

Your suggestion to use the "all clear" message is a good one, but I can't find a setting that lets me choose how close to (or far from) the camera the "all clear" is activated. Do the camera-ahead warning and the all-clear share the same distance setting? If they do, could they be given different settings? -- or have I missed something?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Linking to Ihpone & Android Reply with quote

fxgopher wrote:
I've got both and am a subscriber. How do I link my account to both versions of cameralert.

I've got tomtom on the iphone & co-pilot on my Tab

You can't. Currently you're limited to one or the other. This is under review though.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonM wrote:
But I note that Google Maps Navigation does have a night mode, which activates automatically when Google believes it's night at my location. So perhaps Google will soon release the how-to for developers?

Google's Navigation App is not Google Maps though. It's a separate app. There is no night mode for Google Maps currently.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: