Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Western and Central Europe 2GB, Cannot use this map on this
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Western and Central Europe 2GB, Cannot use this map on this
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bernieeccles
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Western and Central Europe 2GB, Cannot use this map on this Reply with quote

I have a recently bought Go730, which as you may know has been back for repair. I was given another one.

I have put the above map which was on my computer onto a 4gb Sd card using Tomtom home, but when i try and switch maps, I get that message.

I boot it up with the card in, but it will only run the Europe west that is in the internal memory.

Any Ideas ?
compost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to copy all files that are on your 730 to the SD card and then copy or install the new map to the SD card in the appropriate folder. The 730 will then boot from the SD card instead of the internal memory.
bernieeccles
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried a different approach. I wiped everything off the SD card and then copied a total application backup which might have been from the original Go730 to the card via a card reader.

SD card via card reader then boots Tomtom home and lets me download a "fresh" western and Central 2 GB map after I have deleted the old one contained in the map folder in Tomtom home on my PC.

In home via the card reader, I can operate my Go and use all of the map and other features, but if I then put the card in my device, it will boot up and I get a choice of the 2 maps, the W&C 2GB europe map and the smaller zoned european map on the device.

If I select the big map from the card, I get the same message in that I cannot use the map on my device.

Very frustrating !
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why compost is suggesting that, as the Go730 is perfectly capable of running with a map on the SD card and everything else on the internal memory.

The thing we need to discover from you Bernieeccles, is where the map "on your computer" came from.
Was it from the old Go that you no longer have?
Is it a recent download intended for this unit?
Or...?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maps off your old Go will not work on your new Go as the map activation files are tied to the Go the map was activated on.
bernieeccles
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I copied my backup to the card and the card then booted up Home, the map was downloaded by Home to the PC as is normal and then on to the card.

My Go 730 was and is a Europe version and not a Uk version, so I presume that I am entitled to use the big map.
bernieeccles
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you saying that because the files on my card are from the "old" GO 730 and it is these files that downloaded the big map, it will not run on this device because they are tied to the old device.

If this is the case, how do I get the new device to download the big map without it saying I do not have enough room to do so, even when I have a enough space on my SD card.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still a bit confused between what's "old" and "new"

Ignoring everything from the "old" 730 for a minute,

1. Did the new one from TomTom come with a full Europe map?
2. Does that map still work?
3. If you move that map onto the 4GB SD card, does it still work?
4. With that map still on the SD card, does Home let you download the "full" new map? (it should do)

5. Probably most importantly... have you used a new email address as the user name for the new device? TomTom have always had a reputation for messing up the map "ownership" if you use the same email address for two devices.

If that's what has happened, you'll have to contact customer services to get them to sort it out (and do it by phone not email!)
bernieeccles
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid that I am confused now to the point that I don't know what is what.
On my computer, I have so many TomTom files because we have 2 Ones and my 730 . looking through my hard disk, I seem to have loads of tomtom folders apertaining to 3 different Go730's.

I know now that maps downloaded before won't work on a different Go730 because of the security.

Tomtom home tells me that I have an up to date Western and Central map but I must admit that I have mucked about so much with copying files and moving files that I haven't a clue where the "right" one is.

I am actually downloading on to my laptop a different zone and I intend to download all the zones separately, which I seem to be able to do.

All I want to acheive is to be able to have on an SD card maps of the UK,France,Belgium,Austria, Germany,Spain, Italy,Switzerland and Holland

When I log on, my latest 730 uses the correct email address but what I would like is to be able to re download the Big map, but it seems that once it has been downloaded once, there is not the option to do it again.

I have at present just got the west european bit on the internal memory.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck all the files from the device on to a decent quality class 6 SDHC card of at least 4GB in capacity. Wipe the device memory, boot the device with the SDHC card inserted then use Home to download the correct (full) Western Europe map to the card.
If Home stupidly installs it to the devices internal memory (which it probably will even if you tell it to use the SD card) you can either leave it there or copy it to the card as it will work from either location - Mike
bernieeccles
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, just done all that and booted from the SD card, booted Home and it updated mapshare for western europe but did not offer to download the full map as it says I already have it and I have the latest version.

Is home looking on my Pc or does home remember that I have downloaded it once and therefore it wont let me download it again ?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. As the FULL version of the latest map is too large to fit on the internal memory, it has to go on an SD card.

2. In order to get Home to offer you that full version of the map rather than the zoned ones, you MUST have the previous full map installed on an SD card before you try to update.

So if you want the new full map rather then the zones, I think you will have to go through all the possible ones you've backed up on your PC and find the one that is intended for that unit.

To do that, you can leave all the system files on the internal memory for now, remove any maps (to avoid confusion) and JUST add each map folder you find on the PC onto an SD card one after the other until you find the v855 map that works.

If you can't find one, you'll just have to live with putting all the separate zones you need on the card.

bernieeccles wrote:
does home remember that I have downloaded it once and therefore it wont let me download it again ?

That is also true... so if you have it already, you can either install it from the Add Maps menu or remove it to somewhere safe (eg a DVD disk) and get Home to download it again.
bernieeccles
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I have now wiped everything off both the internal memory and the card, switched off the Go, connected the usb to the computer and switched the Go on.

Home fired up and immediately offered to download the application files, voices and yippee, the full map !

I did have to select the empty card as obviously it would not fit on to the internal memory.

It is presently downloading the map which I think will take quite a while, so fingers crossed it works.

Thanks.
bernieeccles
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"2. In order to get Home to offer you that full version of the map rather than the zoned ones, you MUST have the previous full map installed on an SD card before you try to update. "

That sounds ominous, because I wiped EVERYTHING off both card and internal memory, so it is either not going to work or I have done this and found out something new ?

We shall see.
Confused
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For future reference:

Connect to Home. Move to Manage my Device, computer tab, maps. It will show what maps are stored on the computer and it'll also say (in red) what maps are not meant to work on this device. By process of elimination, you'll see what map stored on the computer is meant for that specific device.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: