Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Replacing my GO 500
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacing my GO 500
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
young-goat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Replacing my GO 500 Reply with quote

My Go 500 seems to be nearing the end of it's life ! The battery won't hold a charge, it has wear marks on the screen on the frequently used areas and yesterday it fell off the windscreen and broke the mounting shoe.

The features I must have on a new one are bluetooth capability and traffic information. Which model do you suggest I replace it with ?

(and which ones should I avoid !)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A refurbished 530 or an XL

As you haven't mentioned POI capability, you could also take a look at the 1000 as there are many things to like about the hardware, such as the extremely bright (if rather reflective) screen and excellent audio quality. But as we know, it is currently let down by poor software implementation and missing features.
young-goat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally I don't want to lose any of the functions I already have on the Go500

I use POI's quite a lot in my job (London Taxi driver) both the Tom Tom ones as well as third party ones, so perhaps I should avoid the 1000 ?

I also use mapshare quite a lot to correct errors and avoid long term road works

Which type of traffic information system is reckoned to be best, is IQ routes a good thing ?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD Traffic (on the LIVE Services) is far superior to the RDS-TMC version.

IQ Routes is a good thing!

Go530 it is.
young-goat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice, I've ordered a refurbished one from TT Very Happy

BTW do you know if it will run with Navcore 7 instead of Navcore 8 ?
Otherwise I will not be able to use Tripmaster audible warnings with the Navcore 8 on the GO530
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not? As far as I know, Tripmaster works fine with all versions of Navcore 8.
In fact someone replied in one of the forums only last week to say it was working fine for him on v9 as well.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All three of my TT devices, with latest map version 855 directed me to turn right off Regent Street into A40 Oxford Street today (oops, yesterday) - you can't! And then several more were wrong too. I don't know hopw you can rely on TT as a London cabbier. And it's not easy being a country boy in London.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
young-goat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Why not? As far as I know, Tripmaster works fine with all versions of Navcore 8.
In fact someone replied in one of the forums only last week to say it was working fine for him on v9 as well.

From Tripmaster website........
"Tripmaster v3.1 works on Tomtom v8.x or v9.x navcore, but it has no more the sound speed alarm functionality as these navcore versions do not provide a sound functionality to third party applications."
young-goat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
All three of my TT devices, with latest map version 855 directed me to turn right off Regent Street into A40 Oxford Street today (oops, yesterday) - you can't! And then several more were wrong too. I don't know hopw you can rely on TT as a London cabbier. And it's not easy being a country boy in London.

The thing is I DON'T rely on it ! If it suddenly loses the gps signal or crashes or for some reason its unavailable I can manage without it

The, TT maps have a lot of errors with regard to prohibited turns !
However, the satnav is my slave not my master. Whatever route it comes up with I only regard it as a suggestion and I 'overlay it' with my own knowlege and by looking out for prohibited turns.

Usually I will ask it for the quickest route first, look at that on the screen and see how direct that is. If I don't like that route I will ask it for the shortest route, and maybe take that or I will mentally combine the two.............. or maybe just ignore it completely and go my own way !! Laughing

In other words, I use the satnav to suggest a line of route but I don't necessarily follow the turn-by-turn instructions.

Also I use it to locate streets and POI's that I can't remember, like using the index in the map book but it's much quicker.
Someone timed me once looking up a street, and from the 'home' screen on the TT to getting the details and a route up. It took 15 seconds !!
I doubt I could even get the map out of the door pocket and open the index in that time !

Furthermore the additional features like traffic information, speed camera and speed limit warnings invaluable.

Last edited by young-goat on Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young-goat wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
Why not?

From Tripmaster website........

Ah sorry, I missed the significance of needing the audio alert bit specifically.

Navcore 7 should work on the 530. Both my 720 and my son's 520 came with v7 software when new, and I believe the x30 models have identical hardware to the x20 models.
young-goat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume that I will lose IQ routes (and some other features) by using navcore 7

But maybe that's not such a bad trade-off as I'd rather avoid being flashed by a camera, because Tripmaster has given me an audible warning, than save a few minutes traffic time.
young-goat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Navcore 7 should work on the 530. Both my 720 and my son's 520 came with v7 software when new, and I believe the x30 models have identical hardware to the x20 models.

Do you still have a backup of it ? If so, I might just need a copy if you don't mind Very Happy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x30 units initially went on sale with Navcore 8 installed and a map that contained IQ Routes data so I very much doubt a Navcore 7 install would work correctly given the map contains IQ Routes - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or would it just ignore it?

I don't have an x30 model to try the experiment on unfortunately.
young-goat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It arrived today and I spent a couple of hours setting it up (PGPS camears POI's, Favorites, and downloading latest maps etc)
Something I don't like already is the audible warning "New arrival time xxxx, you are still on the fastest route"
How do I disable it ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: