Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Cameras: Yes But, No But.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Cameras: Yes But, No But.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Speed Cameras: Yes But, No But. Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comWales Online has reported that nearly two thirds of speed cameras in Wales may be switched off at any given time

Figures released under the Freedom of Information Act revealed that on one particular day this month only 68 of the 198 fixed speed cameras were operative.

Also, reported over at Motorcycle News, the Association of Chief Police Officers has drawn up a plan, yet unpublished, to save the UK's speed cameras from government spending cuts.

They want police forces to reclaim the costs of running the cameras from the £100 a go speed awareness courses that are offered to around 30,000 speeders a year in place of prosecution.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a shame they can't reclaim the lot - £3M - towards their costs in the 'cut' season. Sad Whatever else I feel, I reckon we need the 'on the beat' police at reasonable strength.
pdfbt40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If by 'on the beat' you actually mean the 'on the road' police that might actually do some real policing concerning the appalling standard of driving rather than automated prosecutions, then I'd agree.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
What a shame they can't reclaim the lot - £3M - towards their costs in the 'cut' season. Sad Whatever else I feel, I reckon we need the 'on the beat' police at reasonable strength.

I agree that we need an adequate Police force and having them on the beat makes everyone happier and safer.

However, I feel very strongly that Police forces should NOT be allowed to use speed cameras to generating funding, rather they should have a proper budget set by the government.

It is perverse for the Police (or councils or any other government body for that matter) to be allowed to generate their own income by handing out fines (or training courses in lieu of fines or whatever the latest money making scheme is). Fines are supposed to be a deterrent, not a fund raiser for individual forces so the revenue should go to the exchequer to be distributed as the government sees fit.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what a surprise. I reported in a Newsletter back in September that the speed awareness courses are operated by number of organisations. The most vociferous supporters of speed cameras are all closely linked with either the provision of speed cameras or the running of speed awareness courses.

The AA provides DriveTech speed awareness courses and I'll bet the RAC have their fingers in the pie someplace as well.

Whenever you see news items bemoaning the removal of speed cameras or supporting their use, you'll see the same groups being mentioned. some are even partly funded by speed camera manufacturers.

Operating speed cameras in this way is wrong. Where will it end, will the Police begin to target only those crimes for which they can levy fines and cover their costs? No, because motorists are the only target for easy cash. and when they lose that cash, they have a tantrum and stop targeting them. If it was that big a problem then funding speed cameras would not be an issue would it?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: