Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom to Add 3rd Party POI Support by End of January 2011
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom to Add 3rd Party POI Support by End of January 2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

juliaosborne wrote:
and sounds?

Ah that bits still work in progress

.... whether this ever changes is down to TomTom

Shouldn't be long now.... Wink
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If I buy a new TomTom device I can load the PGPSW Camera Database, but not the OGG files, so what audio warning can you use??

Thanks in advance,

SDM197.
lyskamm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the (full or short) spken warnings (it will read the name of the POI and give you the distance) or type your own warning.

All those will work with the TTS (computer) voice you choose and they can be set when you activate the alarms.

BTW with the last software version you can now load your own ogg files Wink
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lyskamm wrote:

Correct... Between me saying "shouldn't be long now" on the 22nd May and sdm197's post earlier today, there has been a software update and more importantly an update to the "MyTomTom" web interface (strangely, these are not yet available in the USA)

It now allows you to add multiple POI files at once (including the .ogg audio files) and you can also now add voices, map colour schemes, car cursors, startup and shutdown images, provinding you already have them or can source them from somewhere.

What you CAN'T do is download these items from the TomTom servers, like you could with TT Home.
GenghisKhan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
lyskamm wrote:

Correct... Between me saying "shouldn't be long now" on the 22nd May and sdm197's post earlier today, there has been a software update and more importantly an update to the "MyTomTom" web interface (strangely, these are not yet available in the USA)

It now allows you to add multiple POI files at once (including the .ogg audio files) and you can also now add voices, map colour schemes, car cursors, startup and shutdown images, provinding you already have them or can source them from somewhere.

What you CAN'T do is download these items from the TomTom servers, like you could with TT Home.

Hi All

Just joined. Tomorrow I'm heading out to buy my first portable SatNav. I'll then be immediately subscribing to the PGPS database and deselecting the TomTom speed camera option.

Having read the forum (including the detail above) it looks like TomTom have sorted out the problems with the TomTom Live 1005 that will allow me to easily install the speed camera database, the alternate speedcam icons plus the speedcam voice alerts. I want to get the 1005 for the larger screen and also feel the traffic function will be invaluable given that I am now going to cover a lot of miles per year.

Could somebody help me out with the installation process for the optional icons/voice alerts?

To get the database and alternate speedcam icons on I think I simply follow here http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras-tomtom-nav3.php but after Step 3 I would overwrite the standard icons with the alternates on my PC folder. Is that correct?

Given this system uses NAV3 which icons should I use? I think it should be the 24x24 icons Speed Zoned (mph) (but not the set for V8.3)?

How then do I get the speedcam voice alerts on?

I understand from the note above that with the 1005 you can now install multiple POI's at once. I'll therefore be installing the more advanced "speed zoned" database as if I understand correctly installation shouldn't take to much longer.

Thanks in advance
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenghisKhan wrote:
How then do I get the speedcam voice alerts on?

I understand from the note above that with the 1005 you can now install multiple POI's at once. I'll therefore be installing the more advanced "speed zoned" database as if I understand correctly installation shouldn't take to much longer.

Thanks in advance

Put all the .ogg, .ov2, .bmp, _X@.bmp files into the same folder. Run My TomTom and then for the Points of Interest section upload ALL these files there (don't make my mistake by adding the audio to the audio alert section...!)

Then follow the usual guides for settings up alerts and distances.

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
(don't make my mistake by adding the audio to the audio alert section...!)

That's not a mistake... just the "other" way to do it.

It's the same as "Method 2" in the Home instructions, where you get to select the warnings from the sound effects page. rather then the system automatically assigning them by the file name.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the "MyTomTom interface" let you add audio files to the correct folder so "Method 2" could be used on a Nav3 device? - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does.

It's how I've always done my speed camera warnings (as my audio files have never been named the same as the camera ov2 files).

The current Navcore software doesn't show the files on screen alphabetically though, which is pretty crap..
GenghisKhan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys you've lost me right at the end. So I upload all the files in one go.

Then is it as simple as:
Settings - Manage POI's - Select POI Category - Enter yards - Click "Sound effect" for each file? When I pick "sound effect" do I then get an option to pick the matching audio file or are they already linked in some way?

Thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to confuse.... We drifted off onto a parallel conversation.

On all TomToms there are two ways to add sound files to POIs.

EITHER:

1. You give them the same name as the data file:
So you have:
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ov2 (the camera data file)
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.bmp (the icon)
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ogg (the sound file)

(etc etc. for all the other camera types)

and you upload them ALL using the "Add POI" section of My TomTom (this is the equivalent to putting them all in the map folder on an old model)

The only disadvantage of that method is that when you do the "Warn when near setup" it automatically assigns the sound file to the POI and doesn't ask you it just says "Is this the sound you want to use" when it hasn't shown or played you anything. You just have to answer "Yes" and cary on each time.
Some people find that confusing.

OR....

2. You add the sound files using the "Add warning sounds" section of MyTomTom
(this is the equivalent to putting the audio files in the 'sounds' folder on an old model).

If you do it that way, the setup process is more logical (to me!) as you select the warning voices just like you would select any other sound effect on the normal menu page. You can also use sound files with shorter, more descriptive names.

TT would seem to prefer the second method, but both work.

It's entirely up to you which method you use.
GenghisKhan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy_P that seems very logical and I think all is clear now. Now off to buy the TT Live 1005!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
MaFt wrote:
(don't make my mistake by adding the audio to the audio alert section...!)

That's not a mistake... just the "other" way to do it.

It's the same as "Method 2" in the Home instructions, where you get to select the warnings from the sound effects page. rather then the system automatically assigning them by the file name.

it is, sort of... cos it's impossible to use using them as 'alerts' as they file names are shortened to 5 or 6 characters and they're not in alphabetical order so ridiculously hard to find what you want!

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
it's impossible to use using them as 'alerts' as they file names are shortened to 5 or 6 characters and they're not in alphabetical order so ridiculously hard to find what you want!

MaFt

Depends if you use your filenames in the first place! Very Happy

Mine re the Simon Voice but they are named "Fix_30", "Mob_40" etc. so easy to find.

...and actually it's 10 characters the file names are shortened to on that menu screen (if they are longer than 11 in total) , but I agree the random order is a pain!
GenghisKhan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Sorry to confuse.... We drifted off onto a parallel conversation.

On all TomToms there are two ways to add sound files to POIs.

EITHER:

1. You give them the same name as the data file:
So you have:
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ov2 (the camera data file)
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.bmp (the icon)
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ogg (the sound file)

(etc etc. for all the other camera types)

and you upload them ALL using the "Add POI" section of My TomTom (this is the equivalent to putting them all in the map folder on an old model)

The only disadvantage of that method is that when you do the "Warn when near setup" it automatically assigns the sound file to the POI and doesn't ask you it just says "Is this the sound you want to use" when it hasn't shown or played you anything. You just have to answer "Yes" and cary on each time.
Some people find that confusing.

OR....

2. You add the sound files using the "Add warning sounds" section of MyTomTom
(this is the equivalent to putting the audio files in the 'sounds' folder on an old model).

If you do it that way, the setup process is more logical (to me!) as you select the warning voices just like you would select any other sound effect on the normal menu page. You can also use sound files with shorter, more descriptive names.

TT would seem to prefer the second method, but both work.

It's entirely up to you which method you use.

Hi Guys

OK I've downloaded the speed zoned database plus the optional speed zoned icons (normal and _X2) and voices. I've just looked at the long file list and I seem to have an OV2, OGG, BMP and _X2.BMP for everything except:
- I only have the 2 BMP for _mobile_var and no OV2 or OGG. Same situation for _pmobile_var and _specs_var. Does this mean you are no longer warning about variable speeds on the M25 etc?
- I have no OGG files for any _pmobile_. Same situation for _temp. Do you just have to use a normal chime for this?

Thanks in advance

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: