Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reviewed: TomTom GO LIVE 1000
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviewed: TomTom GO LIVE 1000
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Love the tomtom Go 1000 But....... Reply with quote

My god the MyTomTom application and website is a joke the software on my PC constantly saying "connecting....." but also says "there are new updates" when i get to the site there is absolutely no information about any updates and even on the site is constantly says connecting ... I have no idea if my tomtom has been updated .. This application ad website is a complete joke

JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the best advice, I bought myself a GO 1005. I wanted HD traffic, and can live without POIs for a month or two.

First impressions:

I don't really like the new mount, it is more fiddly to use than my previous Brodit on the 730, maybe I will get used to it.

The touch screen is not as nice to use as expected, not as responsive as an iphone4, and does not zoom as nicely.

Build quality is a bit shoddy, the FCC ID label is peeling off at one corner and there is (out of the box) a small scratch on the edge of the metal back panel.

HD traffic appears to be working OK, but it is disconcerting that incidents on route 50 miles away are shown but not taken into account in journey times.

On calculating an alternate route, there is no option to recalculate the original, which I used to use quite often for comparison.

I am puzzled by eco routes. I planned a route into London, and the fastest route is 48 miles and 1:12 hours, the eco route is 61 miles and 1:16 hours, with maybe 20 extra miles of motorway, how is that expected to save fuel?

This review seems to have ended up a bit more negative than I expected, but I will post an update in a few days.
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a few more days use, and a 500 mile trip down into France yesterday, some further comments:

JaguarV12e wrote:

I don't really like the new mount, it is more fiddly to use than my previous Brodit on the 730, maybe I will get used to it.

The new mount is good, if you don't need to take the cable off to take inside to connect to a PC. Fortunately I should only need to do that once ;-)
JaguarV12e wrote:

The touch screen is not as nice to use as expected, not as responsive as an iphone4, and does not zoom as nicely.

The visual quality is good, but I still find it misses taps
JaguarV12e wrote:
HD traffic appears to be working OK, but it is disconcerting that incidents on route 50 miles away are shown but not taken into account in journey times.

Driving through france it its prediction of no traffic delays was uncannily accurate, until it decided to throw in an 8 minute delay at some roadworks 30 km ahead. The delay disappeared about 10 km later, and reaching the road works they were nothing more than cones on the hard-shoulder and the road was almost deserted, so I can't beleive that there was ever an 8 minute delay.

The rebooting issue last week was another black mark against the device.

I would prefer the unit to give some audible or visible feedback when it has recognised that it has been swithed off. The button gives a tactile click, but if you release it immediately, the unit does not switch off, you have to hold it another second or so, but then it does not bring up the switch off display ofr about another 4 seconds after you have released the button.

In France it seems to have some delay connecting to live services, it often seems to take a minute or so, but it has not failed completely.
live1005
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ve had TT`s from the first 700 units and found them the best on the market, i`ve recently upgraded to the 1005 i think the unit itself looks fantastic the conection cable is a bit naff (what was wrong with the mini usb?) the magnetic mount works fine though. I went through the set up of the myTT.com account and then onto the TT home account all seemed ok and my new device was updated but when tried to link my TT with my computer it couldnt find it, theres no sign of it on my computer even in the external drives bit. This is a bit odd seeing as it had already done a complete update, now i`m a bit miffed as i cant load all my POI worksites that ive stored from my other units and i cant load a personal car icon as there is no device detected!
It looks to me that the latest devices have been rushed onto the market and the software hasnt been tested very well.
I`m waiting for TT to get back to me, i really dont want to return it as the device looks very good and you cant beat the HD traffic from TT.
By the looks of it on this forum there are a few ppl having problems with the new 1000 series.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new 1005 device cannot be seen by the computer as an external device, nor does the user have access to the file system. So, no external backups are possible.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

live1005 wrote:
all seemed ok and my new device was updated but when tried to link my TT with my computer it couldnt find it, theres no sign of it on my computer even in the external drives bit. This is a bit odd seeing as it had already done a complete update, now i`m a bit miffed as i cant load all my POI worksites that ive stored from my other units and i cant load a personal car icon as there is no device detected!

Expanding on dhn's reply.

As we have been at pains to point out, the new devices use a wholly new system and do not mount as devices, ALL access is done through MyTomTom.

And as explained, MyTomTom is far from complete. There are no backups, no user POI support, no custom car icons, the list goes on.

TomTom have promised third party POI support via MyTomTom by end of January so they have a little over 24hrs to go if they are not to miss that.

But there is nothing 'wrong' with your device, it is performing as designed.
live1005
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that dhn and your info Darren, this is really suprising, how are you meant to transfer any information over to the new device then? I have been collecting my work sites for nearly 7 years and have transfered them accross 5 TTs. I suppose i could manually input the data but i have nearly 400 seperate sites and it will take ages Crying or Very sad I better get a plaster for my soon to be very sore digit.
This has got to be a major step backwards for TT and I have to say i feel a bit let down and although i`m not very happy I will probably keep it as it does look pretty cool.
Thanks for putting me right on this, enjoy the rest of your weekend, I`m off to try and do some data transfering.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

live1005 wrote:
Thanks for that dhn and your info Darren, this is really suprising, how are you meant to transfer any information over to the new device then?

Well quite, which is why we went to such lengths to warn people that, as they are currently, they lack these features.

Hopefully, they will add support for POIs soon.
live1005
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if only i had had a look about first eh, TT have always been easy to use in the past, i`ve been caught out this time.
I`ve just found out that with both TTs fired up and next to each other the only way i can name each work site is to go there first and add it as my location. I cant find a way of indevidually nameing a poi location unless i`m actually there. I will now be running both TTs, one to find the place and then the other one to record the location and store it on my work sites poi.
I am really gratefull for your help on this one and will pass this info on to my mates who also prefere TTs, they might want to think again before they buy.

"edit" I can enter the poi and name them from the comfort of my living room and wont have to drive around with 2 TTs, so far i have done 10, only 390 to go, boy this is painfull.
invisible
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: a disaster Reply with quote

The TomTOm1000 LIVE promises so much but fails to deliver:

1. You need to realise that the only LIVE updates of speed cameras are from Road Angel's mobile camera database, not fixed cameras.
2. I have a Mac. It is impossible to connect. Worse still, MyTomTom tells you that everything is up to date but the unit itself says "Your maps are 7 months old and you need to update them for $9.95". I only bought the unit a week ago! MyTomTom alwasys thinks I am in the USa, and always says "Connecting".

After numerous emails, this is the last response I got:

"The fact that a replacement device has not rectified this issue indicates that this is currently part of our known issue with Macs and the 1000 series at the moment. Unfortunately, I cannot offer you an immediate solution for this challenge. Please be assured that we are currently working on a fix for this. I apologise profusely for the inconvenience.

If you have any further issues or questions please feel free to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you.

With kind regards and have a wonderful day,"

I did however manage to get an email from them authorising a replacement unit. I will now be using that same email to get a full refund and getting a Garmin 1690. If only there was a Navigon to get that was better than both!

Dave
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: a disaster Reply with quote

More TomTom CS badness
invisible wrote:
2. I have a Mac. It is impossible to connect.

I have a Mac, it connects fine.
Quote:
MyTomTom alwasys thinks I am in the USa

Mine too, a known issue
Quote:
and always says "Connecting".

Some have this, others don't, as I say, works fine on mine, check your security settings.
Quote:
[b]"The fact that a replacement device has not rectified this issue indicates that this is currently part of our known issue with Macs and the 1000 series at the moment.

Rolling Eyes Mac has no issues that I'm aware of. MyTomTom has sacks full of problems and features 'not yet available' but they are not OS related.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A user in a NA forum offered up a tip that apparently worked for him. No guarantees.........

Quote:
I think I have found the solution to this problem. For some reason, when you first connect your TomTom to your Mac, the Mac thinks it is a network card and adds it as a network interface in the Networks Preferences Panel.

Pull down the Apple Menu to System Preference.
Click on the Network preference spanel.

If you see the TomTom showing up in the left hand pane, highlight it and hit the minus (-) symbol at the bottom left to delete it. Save and close.

MyTomTom should now connect to the internet and allow you to register and download updates.

Also, try emptying the cache in the notification pop up screen.
thefella
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have removed the tomtom from the networks on the left screen but when I reconnect the tomtom it shows up again Crying or Very sad it opens a tomtom window and says my device is up to date, when I know it isn't Evil or Very Mad
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thefella wrote:
....and says my device is up to date, when I know it isn't Evil or Very Mad

That depends on your definition of "up to date" though...

Home3/MyTomTom's definition is "Are there are any updates currently available for the unit via this interface" - to which the answer is "No", so it IS "up to date" by their narrow definition.

Of course, everyone else's definition would be "Are there any maps or camera databases (or anything else) which are newer than the ones on this unit?to which the answer is obviously "Yes", so it ISN'T up to date.
rallyman72
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 1000 Live - couple of points to note:

1. I use a Mac and connection is no problem
2. Connected today and found a new os for the device was available
3. Custom POI's can now be loaded.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: