Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reviewed: TomTom GO LIVE 1000
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviewed: TomTom GO LIVE 1000
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Dock Reply with quote

It makes sense that the cable is removable since if it broke or became faulty (which often happens) its much cheaper to replace a cable than a cable with dock. Sound decision

Poorly designed docks that are difficult to use do exist and make regular users (i put my sat nav in and out of the dock around 6-8 times a day) annoyed and frustrated. With almost universal agreement, the new TomTom dock is the best in the marketplace

And it had to be a custom-connector as no standard connector could achieve this

What they failed to do is provide an extra one for home use

As for Apple, surely TomTom setting their sights on being Apple of the Sat Nav world? Isn't that what Garmin did with the 3700 Series - package standard hardware in a well designed case and cover with a slick interface?
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Dock Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
It makes sense that the cable is removable since if it broke or became faulty (which often happens) its much cheaper to replace a cable than a cable with dock. Sound decision

Well, there's nothing to stop them using a standard USB cable to connect into the dock, which then has a suitable connector. That's what happens now with my 740. All that has changed is that the cable is now proprietary, and perhaps more prone to trouble due to the connector not being a physical part of the dock.
nocturnal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Dock Reply with quote

mine came with 2 connectors.1 for the car and 1 for the computer
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Dock Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
As for Apple, surely TomTom setting their sights on being Apple of the Sat Nav world? Isn't that what Garmin did with the 3700 Series - package standard hardware in a well designed case and cover with a slick interface?

I suspect you haven't used Garmin's 37xx's. The hardware is far from "standard" satnav issue, with the performance and display bearing that out.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the biggest drawBacks are the dropped support for the Bluetooth remote (I use that a lot as on my car the windscreen is very far out) and the loss of fingernail/glove operability due to the capacitive screen. But it looks like I am in the minority on that.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Dock Reply with quote

nocturnal wrote:
Quote:
mine came with 2 connectors.1 for the car and 1 for the computer

And as I have said, both in my review and my reply to your other comment on this issue, you were lucky, early models shipped with separate charger anc computer leads whereas they all now ship with a USB lead and USB charger dongle rather than two separate cables.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
For me the biggest drawBacks are the dropped support for the Bluetooth remote (I use that a lot as on my car the windscreen is very far out)

I can understand that, it would be an issue for many people carriers and other cars.
Quote:
and the loss of fingernail/glove operability due to the capacitive screen. But it looks like I am in the minority on that.

Not sure that is an issue that would bother me, rarely wear gloves in-car and the screen should be sensitive enough not to require a fingernail tap.

I wonder if a remote may appear at some future juncture?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
lbendlin wrote:
...and the loss of fingernail/glove operability due to the capacitive screen. But it looks like I am in the minority on that.

Not sure that is an issue that would bother me, rarely wear gloves in-car and the screen should be sensitive enough not to require a fingernail tap.

I never wear gloves, but over years of trying not to mistype on the TomTom keyboards, I've developed a definite fingertip/fingernail typing technique.

So, Lutz, there's at least two of us who can't make the capacitive screens work!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
So, Lutz, there's at least two of us who can't make the capacitive screens work!
That's still a minority I guess Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how many they've actually sold..... Twisted Evil
mjdj1689
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Weather/Speed Cams Reply with quote

Just wondering with the 1000 if anyone has seen any bad weather warnings yet, I have been to places in the uk where it has been snowing or there has been fog on the motorway, and there are no icons on the 1000 yet to warn drivers of this.

And another bad thing is while driving through the roadworks on the m6 around Junction 8 to 10 in the west midlands, a lot of the average speed cams have gone, but on Tom Toms database they are still there, due to no updates yet.

Ill be glad when I can get my Pgw database back, but if Tom Tom want a kind of I tunes store , how will this work when they use Road Angel against Pgw ?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Weather/Speed Cams Reply with quote

mjdj1689 wrote:
And another bad thing is while driving through the roadworks on the m6 around Junction 8 to 10 in the west midlands, a lot of the average speed cams have gone, but on Tom Toms database they are still there, due to no updates yet.

And given past experience, even when updates are available, they will be far from accurate.

iPhone app still misreporting SPECS on the M3 that have moved months back.
Quote:
Ill be glad when I can get my Pgw database back, but if Tom Tom want a kind of I tunes store , how will this work when they use Road Angel against Pgw ?

See our other post on the POI and other MyTomTom missing services here.
BowtNetterToDo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Go Live 1000 yesterday evening, im taking it back for a refund today !!.

The MyTomTom web page doesnt work on my home pc, on my old laptop MyTomTom works a little better but doesnt recognise that the device is connected.

No POI's is the deal breaker for me, i've got all my customers saved as POI's (over 500). I have managed to copy them from Garmin devices to my Go Live 950, to google maps, and to a few other devices owned by colleagues, but i cant copy them to the Go Live 1000, how backwards is that ?.

After returning to my live 950 and trying to use TomTom Home software im told that i cant have 2 devices registered to my account and that i cant switch back to the old device (live 950) for another 6 months. So one disfuntional device has incapacitated a perfectly working product that i already owned, good job TomTOm.

I regret not reading the review here before my purchase, from my limited time with the Live 1000 i would say the review here is more than fair. I would have scored the device much lower.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Weather/Speed Cams Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
mjdj1689 wrote:

And given past experience, even when updates are available, they will be far from accurate.

iPhone app still misreporting SPECS on the M3 that have moved months back.

...and the M62 between Leeds and Bradford. VERY annoying being told you're driving too fast in a 50 zone when it's a 70mph motorway and speed restrictions and cameras removed 3 months ago!

MaFt
BowtNetterToDo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update.....

I returned the Live 1000 and got a full refund. I switched back to using my trusty Go Live 950 but the live services were disabled due to it not being possible to register 2 devices on the same account. A short phone call to customer services was needed to reactivate the Live services subscription on my 950 device. Im a happy chappie again.

If/when tom tom can get the MyTomTom web page working, the facility to copy my existing customer POI's from my 950 to the 1000, and allow me to backup my device i may consider buying the Live 1000 again. Until then its
an incomplete product imho.

Very fair article, i only wish i had read it before my purchase and saved myself the hassle.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: