Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - live 1005
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

live 1005

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: live 1005 Reply with quote

Hi all I have the 940, but thinking on the live 1005. Anyone can persuade me either way? I did see Traffic is handled in sections which I think is a good thing on this unit, also updates are every 2 mins, opposed to every 3 on the 940? any pointers to persuade, or dissuade me?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you have a long read of information about the 1000/ 1005 devices and write down a list of the capabilities you get with a 940 vs the 100x range.

For example the 940 has both European and North American mapping on the device with a memory card slot for further expansion if/ when required. The 100x doesn't have the built in capacity for both maps and has no memory card slot, currently there is no way to remove/ replace/ install different maps to the 100x range, this missing capability should be released at some future point.

Do you use custom POI files on your 940 or the FM Tx or the mp3 player or find the Enhanced Positioning Technology handy? if so get ready to lose them with the proposed new purchase, custom POI support should be added at some future point but no guesses as to when.

A few plus points, the 100x mount is very good as is the speaker but I don't like much else about it due to the reduced functionality and the above is based on over three months of use - Mike
playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I don't use the FM transmitter and sadly after a pc format lost my American maps. I do use the speed cams from this site though, but as you said they will enable this function on an update
playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike do you find the HD traffic better given what I said in my OP ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest no I didn't find it any better, my unit of choice is now a device from a different manufacturer supplied with an RDS-TMC receiver as I have come to the conclusion no traffic system is ever going to work fully and don't want the associated running costs of a connected service.

The HD Traffic is good when it works but does have its short falls, having fallen foul of server outages at times when the data would have possibly been of use (typically Friday afternoons in my experiance) I gave up on it, the reliability simply isn't there to warrant paying for it even if you get 12 months thrown in for "free" if it doesn't work when needed its no good.

I used to have Live Traffic on my iPhone app but haven't bothered with it for some considerable time, even today with a 350 mile round trip I didn't need Traffic data to know where the hot spots were going to be - Mike
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: HD Traffic Reply with quote

The 1000 is a great unit and the problems people try to tell you exist, don't

But you cannot currently add Custom POIs - its a work in progress on this one

As far as traffic is concerned it is simply best of breed, without question

The Garmin 3790t does not compare with its RDS system which is the main areas I work and live simply doesn't pick up data, let alone useful data

The TomTom HD Traffic works flawlessly

Come on everyone, we know RDS Traffic Data has never worked around the country and updates levels are too infrequent. Anyone recommending one over GPRS data makes me wonder their motives
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main point re the RDS vs HD Traffic is one of cost, the HD Live is good but isn't worth the monthly cost the subscription charges, I got fed up with server outage, poor connection, long log in times, when HD works it outperforms any RDS system but I expect something reliable if paying for it - Mike
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: RDS Traffic Reply with quote

Fair comment, but I have paid for years in effect with RDS systems included within the units I have purchased and have picked up less than 10 traffic incidents with them since 2002 - I now pick up nearly that many a day!
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: HD Traffic Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
But you cannot currently add Custom POIs - its a work in progress on this one
How do we know? Why did not TT keep it in rather than removing it? It shouldn't take but 5 mins to re-instate it, so why haven't they? Do you believe everything they are quoted as saying? Joker Surprised
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: live 1005 Reply with quote

playswell wrote:
Hi all I have the 940, but thinking on the live 1005. Anyone can persuade me either way? I did see Traffic is handled in sections which I think is a good thing on this unit, also updates are every 2 mins, opposed to every 3 on the 940? any pointers to persuade, or dissuade me?

See my review of the GO LIVE 1000 here.

It is functionally identical save for the larger screen of the 1005 so the same comments apply.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who likes the latest gadgets I have not found a reason yet to upgrade from the 940 to the 100x. So far what I have read is:

Benefits.
Bigger Screen
Faster Calculation
Better mount - I have no issues with my mount
Better speaker - Mine is fine

Disadvantages:
No custom POIs yet.
No map updates yet.
No FM.
HD traffic only takes local issues into account - pointless such as where the M25 is part of the route with the major widening schemes for the next few years which are not taken into account in IQ routes.
No EPT - very useful for Hatfield, Holmesdale, Bell Common and Dartford Tunnels on the A1 & M25.
No memory card slot.
No windows backup or file access.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: HD Traffic Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
How do we know? Why did not TT keep it in rather than removing it?

If you knew the system or software you would appreciate it is not a case of "keeping it in" - it has been re-written using webkit, so everything is from scratch

"How do we know?" - TomTom have stated so. I understand not everyone keeps to their word, and things do change over time, but we take PGPSW's claim that they will update the database every week for 12 months when we pay our subscription, we trust the GPS units in the box willl work when we take them out or we would never buy them. If custom POIs are important to you they either trust TomTom to do as they say, or shop elsewhere - don't complain about something you don't own and haven't paid for
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom sold the X30 range stating it was HD Traffic ready and would achieve this through the HD traffic adaptor with a built in SIM. They never fulfilled this promise in the UK.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: