Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin nuLink 1695 "Live"
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin nuLink 1695 "Live"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Garmin nuLink 1695 "Live" Reply with quote

Glancing thru the Garmin forum, I was surprised to see little to no mention of the new 1695's. Quite a lot has changed from the previous 1690. Most obvious is the larger 5" display. Also the return of on-screen favorite names and the addition of map themes, a way for users to change the map and road colors to suit their tastes. But the most notable additions come with Garmin's nuRoute features. TrafficTrends is intended as the Garmin version of TT's IQR, while myTrends mimics one of Navigon's latest features in some ways (myRoutes). This is Garmin's second device series to include these features, with the 37xx's being the first a few months ago. As an aside, you'll soon be seeing 23xx/24xx nuvi models also offering nuRoutes.

So far I've found the 1695 to be a good all-around navigator. Map detail seems better than the previous 1xxx models, screen refresh is snappy. Even with trafficTrends enabled, route computations have been surprisingly quick with 2000 mile route requests handled in under a minute. Live services have been very reliable so far (fingers crossed) with no loss of signal nor delay in getting data. Traffic reporting here in North America looks more extensive than anything currently available to other Garmin's and on-screen data customization covers everything I need. In general, I like it. I'd prefer a capacitive touch screen of course. And I'm hoping the "browse map" function is an acquired taste since I don't like it at all so far. Ditto for the time necessary to recalculate following a missed turn. Disabling trafficTrends fixes that issue, but then you lose the benefit of their historical/predictive traffic. Garmin needs to make faster recalc's a priority.

Google Search is handled much better than TomTom's use of it. Otherwise there's many more connected services than offered by Tomtom's Live models. Things like parking space availability/prices, weather radar, flight status updates, Send to GPS (for on-line lookups), up-to-date currency converter, and navigation from White Page searches by name or phone number. In fact I've already found the White Page search quite useful, using it to locate a customer that had called needing to see me. Searching for his caller ID phone number took me right to his place of business. Thumbs Up

So while there's improvements to be made, specifically a capacitive touch-screen and more extensive trafficTrends data, so far I like the 1695 quite a lot. It gets this user's seal-of-approval.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meant to post a couple screen shots too.

First at the 1/2 mile zoom:

and at .3 miles

The same .3 mile view, but with a different map theme (pre-loaded). You can also create your own.

at 500ft zoom. Note that nearly every road is named.

and finally the driving view (default zoom), You have the option of showing the sidebar data fields or not. Each of those can also be customized to show other data according to user needs.

enterpryse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: 1695 LIVE NuLink Reply with quote

I have this unit and am very pleased with it after ditching my TT540 Live.

However I really want to have more control over the alerts for the cameras, the bong at the moment is far to polite for me so I want to replace it with something much more attention grabbing. Is this possible without having a degree in Garmin software systems??

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: