Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Break the Speed Limit by 10mph?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Break the Speed Limit by 10mph?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Break the Speed Limit by 10mph? Reply with quote

Reported in the Daily Mail today, cop an expensive course instead of a fine - or so they say.
Have pasted the link below - hope it works.

Cheers Bob

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1342156/Drivers-able-break-speed-limits-10mph-receive-points-licence.html
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheer lunacy, as that just makes a mockery of the actual speed limit and the stupid argument that speed cameras are there as a safety device - Mike
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Break the Speed Limit by 10mph? Reply with quote

253 wrote:
Reported in the Daily Mail today, cop an expensive course instead of a fine
A bargain for those with 9 points already I would say (or don't they get the option?), or those who don't want any points (clean licence for £40? another bargain Very Happy ). The discussion about 'Safety' v 'Speed' is irrelevant. The cams are here to stay Sad
Duddy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but what's news about this except the cost has risen.

Here, in Greater Manchester, this system has been running for about 18 months at a cost of about £60 + a ½ lost day at work.

As a matter of interest nearly 3 years ago I was asked to attend one of the preliminary courses in order to assess the quality of the course and write a report on same. The instructors on the course, I attended, were all driving instructors and members of the Institute of advanced motorists !!! It was also intended to be a full day with the afternoon taken up with a driving instruction/test in the instructors car.
I completed my report ending it with I thought a better use of the time might be showing the alleged offenders (they are alleged offenders until convicted by a court of law) photographs/ videos of accident scenes, including the mangled bodies, and I offered some examples but my suggestion was not taken up.
Reading glasses getting thicker as is my waist
Retired but want to go back to work for a rest.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Sheer lunacy, as that just makes a mockery of the actual speed limit and the stupid argument that speed cameras are there as a safety device - Mike

It's a brilliant wheeze! Now they can no longer make money out of fines, they dial the cameras up to nick people at 2 MPH over the limit then offer these "courses" which by happy co-incidence bring in big profits for the scamera partnership. No one gets points so people are more likely to grumble and pay up.

Kerching, camera financing problem solved. We are back to where they started from milking the cash cow.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duddy wrote:
I thought a better use of the time might be showing the alleged offenders (they are alleged offenders until convicted by a court of law) photographs/ videos of accident scenes, including the mangled bodies, and I offered some examples but my suggestion was not taken up.

I've been on a course where they did that. They were all serious accidents, many fatalities. Adults and young people but no children, perhaps they drew the line at that. Graphic videos of people dead, dying and seriously injured in the wreckage etc all apparently filmed by a policeman on duty.

I can see how it would upset many people (certainly I found it disturbing at the time) but it didn't have any thing beyond a short term effect on me. I think it's distasteful and I'm glad that they don't go down that route in this country - there are much better ways to target enforcement and education...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: