Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Some bugs I have noticed.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Some bugs I have noticed.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robodan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Some bugs I have noticed. Reply with quote

Hi, been using your app for a couple of weeks now, but have only just got round to subscribing to the database and posting on the forums.

Some things I have noticed while using your app are....

All issues are on an iPhone 4, running iOS 4.1 with TomTom 1.5 iPhone is docked to a Parrot MKi 9000 with the dock cable.

1. With Cameralert in the foreground, if I adjust volume for my music (On the parrot remote) after a short while the display backlight goes out. (CoPilot had a similar issue ages ago with their app)

2. With music playing sometimes the cameralert voice stutters. I cannot pin this down though to advise any more

3. If I have both apps running and music playing through the iPhone dock, when cameralert tries to send audio it is like it sends it over bluetooth only and as such cuts off my music altogether and turns my radio back on!! then after the time it would take to play the cameralert audio, my music resumes through the dock connector. I have to then decide if I want to be warned of speed camera's or have music, and I usually choose the Music Sad

Thats all for now, great app, I love it
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Some bugs I have noticed. Reply with quote

robodan wrote:
1. With Cameralert in the foreground, if I adjust volume for my music (On the parrot remote) after a short while the display backlight goes out. (CoPilot had a similar issue ages ago with their app)

That is symptomatic of a charger that is unable to provide sufficient charge. It seems that, with GPS running, any extra task such as music is enough to cause the issue. Solution is either a better charger, 2.1A versions work well or to disable the Auto_Lock setting.

For the audio, do you have alerts configured to come through dock or iPhone speaker out of interest?

Some of the other issues you describe are difficult for us to diagnose without access to every variation of dock setup, I have no such issues with my iPhone 4 hooked up to the vehicle's Aux-In via a Kensington Liquid-Aux.
robodan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it is down to an under powered charger as until I adjust the volume it stays illuminated just fine. How do you disable the Auto_Lock setting? Not sure ive seen that in the app.

For the audio, how do you configure it to come out of dock or speaker?, it never plays gthrough the iphone speaker, but it does come through bluetooth to my car head unit, via the parrot.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robodan wrote:
Not sure if it is down to an under powered charger as until I adjust the volume it stays illuminated just fine. How do you disable the Auto_Lock setting? Not sure ive seen that in the app.

Settings | General | Auto-Lock
Quote:
For the audio, how do you configure it to come out of dock or speaker?, it never plays gthrough the iphone speaker, but it does come through bluetooth to my car head unit, via the parrot.

Select the music icon and then tap the icon at far right of the volume slider. That cycles between alerts out of iPhone Speaker and Dock. Useful if you have iPhone docked but are tuned to radio etc
robodan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh right, I had it set on the music icon so i guess that would be the iphone speaker??

I have now changed it to the icon that has music waves coming from the bottom so is that the dock output??

Never knew that was there!!

Autolock, ah i thought you meant a setting within the app..
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robodan wrote:
Oh right, I had it set on the music icon so i guess that would be the iphone speaker??

I have now changed it to the icon that has music waves coming from the bottom so is that the dock output??

Actually it's the opposite Embarassed

Waves out of bottom is iPhone Speaker.

Re. screen dimming, try it with another GPS app running and iTunes, see if it happens then? I can replicate it with a lower spec charger.
robodan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I may have figured out the odd sound problem, I had cameralert set to pause music, changed it to fade and it seems to have sorted it.

Re the screen dimming, tried this morning with no GPS app runing other then the cameralert and all is fine untill i alter the volume. Problem only happens if it is docked to my parrot kit, which provides charge also. I have no idea what the outout rating of the charger is but it looks like you may be right with the diagnosis. I presume this can be fixed though as when I used to use copilot on the iphone I had the same problem, and it only occured after I had changed the volume.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can only be fixed by an uprated charger if it is the same issue I've seen. They really need a 2A charger if you wish to use GPS and iTunes.

Manufacturers are catching up on this issue slowly.
robodan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I see accept your point, if it could be fixed by copilot, and TomTom does not have the issue, then surely cameralert could be free from the issue also?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This must be a different issue then as I can trigger it with any GPS app and iTunes when using a low output charger?

I'll discuss with the team and see if anyone has any useful input on this issue.
robodan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for looking into it, It is a pleasure to work with you guys in making the app better for all.

Just to clarify, I do not have the issue whilst using TomTom
RavingDave
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also got the problem with the screen dimming when using the music controls. I'm sure this is not related to the charger, because I can replicate it on a consistent basis while running on battery power.
1. Start music playing on ipod, and click control button to background it
2. Start CamerAlert (with 'prevent standby' set to on)
3. All works as expected: music playing, map updating, alerts coming through, and no screen dimming.
4. Bring up music control and press change track. Music control then auto hides after a few seconds.
5. 45 seconds later the screen dims (I have auto lock set to 1 min)
6. Touch screen to cancel dimming, but 45 seconds later it dims again.
7. Only way to resolve this dimming is to terminate CamerAlert and start it again.

A similar effect can also be seen using the iPhones own built in music controls in the active task list.
1. Start music playing
2. Start CameraAlert
3. Again all works as expected with no dimming
4. Double click control button to bring up active taks bar and swipe right to show the ipod controls.
5. Click next or previous track, but leave iPod controls displayed
6. After 45 seconds the screen dims
7. Close the active task bar by pressing the control button, and normal service is resumed with no auto dimming.

From this analysis it seems to me that whenever the iPod controls are invoked by the software, then the iPod auto standby is over-riding the alway active switch in CamerAlert. In the case of the built in task bar controls, then control is being passed correctly back to the CamerAlert app when the task bar is closed. However, when the ipod controls are closed from with the App then it seems the prevent standby switch is being overridden and remains logically 'off', even though it is set to 'on' in the App.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavingDave wrote:
I have also got the problem with the screen dimming when using the music controls. I'm sure this is not related to the charger, because I can replicate it on a consistent basis while running on battery power.

Thanks for this, we will investigate!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the screen dimming issue is a bug with the OS. The idletimerdisabled setting is being ignored if you use iTunes within an app.

If TomTom is not affected then they must be using a work-around. Now we know the root cause we have found a large number of posts from developers complaining about this.

I'm running the latest Beta OS now so will test and see if they have corrected it in 4.2.

Will post back after testing.

edited to correct spelling!

Last edited by Darren on Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Some bugs I have noticed. Reply with quote

robodan wrote:

Happy to report that we have found a (surprisingly simple) workaround for that well known iOS bug. The fix will be in the next build.

By the way the bug also shows when you bring up the iPod control in CamerAlert, and interact with the iPod in some way, like changing tracks etc.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: