Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GMT, BST etc.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GMT, BST etc.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we stay with GMT and BST or change?
GMT all year
56%
 56%  [ 13 ]
Keep it as it is
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Permanent BST
26%
 26%  [ 6 ]
BST + 1 Winter and BST +2 Summer
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 23

Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: GMT, BST etc. Reply with quote

There has been talk in the Media about the possibility of having our our clocks have a double BST. How do you feel.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. My belief is that the data shows BST is safer all year round than Winter reversion to GMT. I am further under the impression that this would have happened years ago if Scottish farmers had not objected. The reason for objecting escapes me, as there is still the same amount of daylight whatever number you allocate to the start and finish.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BST all year round. The arguments against are largely baseless. Do we really need to have the entire country switching clocks twice a year because of Scottish farmers? No.

The other arguments about safety of kids walking to school are without base, few walk and evidence shows that drivers are most alert in the mornings and accidents lowest then anyway.

It's a nuisance and serves no useful purpose to keep changing the clocks as we do.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do we really need to have the entire country switching clocks twice a year because of Scottish farmers?

Of course not. 5 million or so Scots should not be able to dictate to the other 56 million in the rest of the UK, the majority of which I believe would prefer BST all year. Maybe a referendum would be in order.

If permanent BST is brought in all the Scots have to do is start and finish an hour later.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
If permanent BST is brought in all the Scots have to do is start and finish an hour later.

Or they can retain their own timezone.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the country of origin of Mr Greenwich, why should we not permanently keep Greenwich Mean Time? Don't give me the guff about communicating with Europe, just ring them an hour earlier or later or whatever matches up - might just as well go onto some US timezone (and it won't be long before there's a case for using Beijing time)! Is there some other reason why this website asks me to enter my timezone as GMT +/- something?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree, Dennis. We don't need to change the clocks, just the times people start and finish work, school etc.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? That's surely a helluva lot more difficult than just settling on BST!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: GMT, BST etc. Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
There has been talk in the Media about the possibility of having our our clocks have a double BST. How do you feel.

Erm, your poll doesn't have that as an option! Laughing

What's being suggested is:

BST in Winter and BST +1 in Summer
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
In the country of origin of Mr Greenwich, why should we not permanently keep Greenwich Mean Time? Don't give me the guff about communicating with Europe, just ring them an hour earlier or later or whatever matches up
Here Here. But doesn't Johnny Foreigner on the near continent use their own dorm of DST? So we never are in step anyway. How many peopel actually give a damn if Europe is one hour (or 2 hours) ahead of us anyway. The story about synchronising business times is a load of toss, as it's only a tiny minority of people who phone them anyway, and why should the vast majority of us Brits be screwed about trying to unsuccessfully keeping in step with Europe?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
DennisN wrote:
In the country of origin of Mr Greenwich, why should we not permanently keep Greenwich Mean Time? Don't give me the guff about communicating with Europe, just ring them an hour earlier or later or whatever matches up
Here Here. But doesn't Johnny Foreigner on the near continent use their own dorm of DST? So we never are in step anyway. How many peopel actually give a damn if Europe is one hour (or 2 hours) ahead of us anyway. The story about synchronising business times is a load of toss, as it's only a tiny minority of people who phone them anyway, and why should the vast majority of us Brits be screwed about trying to unsuccessfully keeping in step with Europe?

Yeah, I've heard that they even speak a different language over there too. Bah.

Europe switches to and from DST at the same time as us so they are always 1 hour ahead.

Really, the argument is about having more light in the evening and less in the morning, thus more time for recreation and less energy used.

Yeah, the British invented time along with Greenwich but that's moved on now. Even the "meridian line" that the tourists take millions of photos of is not actually 0 degrees latitude any more, it's off by about 70 meters....

Time to be pragmatic and move on folks...
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Really, the argument is about having more light in the evening and less in the morning, thus more time for recreation and less energy used....
Didn't take long for the Green Brigade to jump aboard Wink

Skippy wrote:
Yeah, the British invented time along with Greenwich but that's moved on now. Even the "meridian line" that the tourists take millions of photos of is not actually 0 degrees latitude any more, it's off by about 70 meters.....
Did we get it wrong, or has Johnny Foreigner decided to move it, just like he kidnapped our time standard?
PS It's not 0 deg lat, Greenwich is on 0 deg Longitude (Well nearly anyway Very Happy )
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
How many peopel actually give a damn if Europe is one hour (or 2 hours) ahead of us anyway?
Well, the other day I cared a bit - a friend in Corfu rang me at 8am - Athens time - I wasn't even in the flaming shower!! My mobile is never switched off, and at 6am, my 100% volume ringtone of Sugar Plum Fairy is rather less appealing than at 12 noon.

As for the Meridian line being 70 meters (not even metres, that's about 87 and a bit yards, innit?), it was exactly right when I saw it not many years ago - there was a sign saying "This is the Meridian line, take a photo of it". Now maybe that was a lie, but I believed it and have always ever since been happy to tell my grandchildren that I have stood on the Meridian line.

As for time keeping, isn't there something about "when it's dark, it's night and when it's light it's day". Many years ago, I used to tell my daughter to come home as soon as the first street light came on - she didn't have a watch and didn't need one for that.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Huh? That's surely a helluva lot more difficult than just settling on BST!

No, it gives flexibility and choice. Why should we all get up an hour earlier for a certain part of the year, just because some people want to and the government says we should?

Different sections of the community need to work at different times of day from others, and sunrise and sunset vary throughout the country so there'll never be agreement on what time the clocks should read. So leave them alone, and let everybody work & play according to the available light, as people have since time began.

Have you noticed that many of the people asking for a government decree on this are those who shout loudest about the nanny state and the government telling us what to do?
Samsung Galaxy S21
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the argument here is we should stop having to change the clocks twice a year. That doesn't affect businesses choosing to start/finish when they wish. It's simpler surely?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: