Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Apple Mac and Parallels
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Mac and Parallels
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Apple Mac and Parallels Reply with quote

I have just joined the Mac fraternity by buying an iMac last Tuesday. After 25 years with PCs (even before Windows!) it is not easy for me to get going. I've bought Apple's One to One service, so I can go in to my local shop for proper training. In the meantime I need to get off the ground with Parallels.

This is because although I've decided that Mac is better by several degrees of magnitude, my accounts are on Lotus123 which is not available for Mac. There are solutions to that - Mac iWorks, Excel for Mac, but I've played with both and they are not for me, so the choice is to keep my old PC for Windows and Lotus123, or what I've done, namely get Parallels.

So I'd like advice on how to set up Parallels, please.

Looking at the box, it seems I have to decide what size partition to create and that's what I can't decide.

I have a 1TB drive, which seems to have a 200GB iDisk (is this some sort of backup Mac does?) and 775GB Mac HD. Parallels info indicates a partition of 30GB, but that doesn't seem much (but what do I know?) if I'm going to add Lotus SmartSuite and all my Lotus data. Having said which, a quick look shows a year's business accounts taking up maybe 300MB, so perhaps 30GB partition might be OK.

I really want to get this set up as soon as possible (like today!!) before I start getting Mac training - I need to migrate my business accounts so that I can have a bit of desk space using only one computer.

So, can somebody offer me advice on what size partition to set up for Parallels and any other advice to stop me making a pig's ear of it, please.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i run XP in Paralells and only gave it 30GB. as it's only for a small number of programs and files 30GB is plenty of space. in fact, IIRC, an XP install will usually only take about 1GB at the very most!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to buy a Mac then emulate a Windows machine on it? From what Dennis indicates, he has a super duper, hot snot Wimdows machine to start with. Shocked
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Why would you want to buy a Mac then emulate a Windows machine on it? From what Dennis indicates, he has a super duper, hot snot Wimdows machine to start with. Shocked

Well, the answer to that in my case is..... The super duper, hot snot Windows machine turned to rubbish since I "upgraded" to Windows 7 and AVG Pro 2011, getting worse and worse so that it was crashing after half an hour. So, pending reinstalling everything cleanly, I switched to using my laptop. Which eventually started going the same way as the desktop. So I've had enough of that and went and got a Mac (on which I've had a small amount of experience, just enough to demonstrate the difference in reliability and stability).
DennisN wrote:
After 25 years with PCs (even before Windows!) it is not easy for me to get going.

DennisN wrote:
my accounts are on Lotus123 which is not available for Mac. There are solutions to that - Mac iWorks, Excel for Mac, but I've played with both and they are not for me, so the choice is to keep my old PC for Windows and Lotus123, or what I've done, namely get Parallels.

DennisN wrote:
I need to migrate my business accounts so that I can have a bit of desk space using only one computer.

PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I "upgraded" to Windows 7

Clean upgrade or "in place" upgrade? First one is better - it what i did on 5 year old hardware and no issues. Second not so. Especially over Vista.

" and AVG Pro 2011"

Ah, there's your problem.....
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In place upgrade
Over Vista
64-Bit

And after several weeks of to and fro, AVG support simply stopped replying. Of course, that didn't stop them sending dozens of emails reminding me that my annual subscription would, was about to, had now, expired!

Edit to add.... Sometimes I think I'm clever. Sadly, I regularly discover that I'm fooling myself, such as now!

lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you already fork over the guinees for Parallels? Have you considered Bootcamp instead?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly in place upgrades are not as stable in the long run as clean installs.

Have tried ininstalling AVG at all? Just try running the system without it to see what, if any, difference it makes. AVG is no longer the program it once was.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Did you already fork over the guinees for Parallels? Have you considered Bootcamp instead?
Yes I considered Bootcamp, especially as it is included free in my Mac OS. But on consideration I decided I'd prefer not to be rebooting.
PaulB2005 wrote:
Have tried ininstalling AVG at all? Just try running the system without it to see what, if any, difference it makes. AVG is no longer the program it once was.
Have you tried uninstalling AVG? It's as easy as uninstalling HP printer stuff, in other words, well nigh impossible to get rid of everything.

Anyway, old PC has now gone to grandson after a complete reinstall of Vista and gave him the Win 7 upgrade package with advice not to do it! I didn't know it, but his computer had died and he was begging parents for a new one which they simply could not afford. He's rather impressed with the gaming case, blue lights and so many fans it looks like a wind tunnel, together with the 22" flat screen. And the 5:1 speakers and woofter give him great joy too.

lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

Edit to add.... Sometimes I think I'm clever. Sadly, I regularly discover that I'm fooling myself, such as now!

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, Lutz! I was just beginning to get settled into my nice new iMac and thinking how well it's going. Confused

john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snap !!
Dennis I have also changed to a imac I just got fed up of all the virus and firewall software just slowing everything down I seemed to spend most of the time doing updates and scanning and everyone I spoke to just recommended mac so much .
Myself rather than run windows on a mac I thought I would just buy a cheap laptop with windows 7 on it .
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:
Snap !!
Dennis I have also changed to a imac I just got fed up of all the virus and firewall software just slowing everything down I seemed to spend most of the time doing updates and scanning and everyone I spoke to just recommended mac so much .
Myself rather than run windows on a mac I thought I would just buy a cheap laptop with windows 7 on it.

See an earlier post of mine, John. I too switched to a laptop which had worked fine until I started using it really regularly, then that too went the same way as the desktop - took less than six months. Evil or Very Mad I wish you well, but I don't hold out much hope for you.

john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dennis I would be interested on what web browser you are using on your Mac I stayed with FireFox ! what do other Mac owners use I know it is really down to personal choice

As Paul 2005 has said Avg is not what it was MSE seems to be regarded and seems to work quite well
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:
Hello Dennis I would be interested on what web browser you are using on your Mac I stayed with FireFox ! what do other Mac owners use I know it is really down to personal choice

I use Firefox for the simple reason I needed to transfer all my bookmarks and history, add-ons etc when I moved to Mac. It was as simple as copying a folder from Windows to the Mac and telling firefox to use that for the profile. Ditto for Thunderbird for email.

It's personal preference and mine is FF and Tb over Safari and Mail.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: