Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPod Touch and Tom Tom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPod Touch and Tom Tom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
semrots
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: iPod Touch and Tom Tom Reply with quote

My son has an iPod Touch and has bought the Tom Tom App and Holder, but we're getting nowhere fast.

I think the issue is around the connection between the Ipod and the holder. It doesn't seem easy to locate the iPod on the plug in the holder base, and when clipped in it isn't held rigidly but can move a little, in fact it doesn't seem that secure in there.

The iPod shows it's charging, and you can get music into the radio via the aux socket and a lead to the Tom Tom holder. However, move the iPod slightly and the connections fail for both, and it needs moving side to side to 'reconnect' when its in the 'right' position

However, as regards GPS, the App loads OK but searches for Sats without success. The Car Kit App says its not connected. So I'm thinking the holder may be finding sats, but the issue seems to be around the Touch actually being able to connect to the Holder correctly. I'm assuming it should connect via the multisicket in the holder? I did spot a bluetooth logo on the instruction book, but no mention of pairing it, and there doesn't seem to be any bluetooth signal either iPod or other phones can detect from the Tom Tom.

Anyone using one got any ideas or thoughts on the matter please?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What model of iPOD Touch are you using? - Mike
semrots
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its an 8Gb 2nd Generation, newly purchased - Rod
semrots
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction Mike having examined the thing myself I beleive its the new 4g (son told me 2nd gen - but then thats17 yr old sons!!).

Been searching around and I think there is some sort of cradle/ipod compatability issue as the 4 G is apparently thinner, and possibly not as tall?. It certainly does not sit on the connector very well.

If anyone can add anything please let me know and in the meantime I will do some fiddling around and see what happens

Rod
semrots
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right having done some playing around this seems to be a size issue Rolling Eyes

This is a 4G ipod and so is thinner, and not as tall as the 2G and 3G, so does not fit well in the cradle, and can move about, not sitting well on the multisockt. Move it about and the charging can stop etc.

The multisocket actually rocks back as you secure the iPod in the holder, and this apparently switches on the actual GPS detector. This may not happen with a 4G due to it being thinner. The 'bodge' is to place some card between the back of the iPod and the black bar at the back of the multisocket. This seems to give the extra clearance to make it work, but it can also be hit and miss. We ended up with 3 x a normal business card thickness (2 times started working but then compressed!)

Also note that if using the Car kit app it will tell you if its docked and sats detected. As the card got compressed it was reporting as docked, but no sats detected.

Seems a good sat nav when working (I use a TT920), but my view would be wait and see if they bring out a proper holder for the 4G - do you really want bits of card making a brand new reasonalbly costly piece of kit work?

we'll see about sending the Holder back and see if a properly fitting one is due in future.

Rod
JohnF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been through the same issue with TT. TT told me the Touch 4G is not compatible with the Car Kit and this is NOT just a thickness/switch issue.
When I packed the switch out with some card I got a 'Not Compatible Message' from the Touch. If you read the literature carefully only the Touch 2G & 3G are supported. It is most confusing but the Touch is not just a Phone without the Phone bit. One normaly expects the 4G to be better than the 2G but this does not seem to be the case.

I am looking to see if there is a jailbreak solution.

Regards John

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: