Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Vodafone's "Unlimited" Internet
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Vodafone's "Unlimited" Internet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Vodafone's "Unlimited" Internet Reply with quote

split from TomTom 1000 POI Thread

tedkay wrote:
...so with a genuine 'Unlimited' internet with my Vodafone account it doesn't cost me a penny...

i would certainly recommend you query with vodafone just how 'unlimited' your unlimited internet is: read this!

my oldest brother has just managed to get his contract cancelled (with no charge) as he was signed up to unlimited data which has been drastically reduced to his detriment (i.e. vodafone have broken / changed the contract without his permission).

at risk of going off topic, if you want to reply it would be better to start a new thread in the 'off topic' forum.

MaFt

Last edited by MaFt on Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt

Actually I was very much 'on-topic' with my original message ....

I am aware that there have been 'unlimited' internet access issues with various mobile operators - that is why when I renewed my contract I sought and received assurance that I would not be charged extra for internet access. As I said previously, my itemised bills show hundreds of internet accesses and none of them are charged for ......

But anyway my (on-topic) point was that in view of TTs' removal of support for 3rd party POI's on their new devices; the inconsistent LIVE service; the intractible manner in which TT provide their charged-for map updates; - mobile phone satnav is looking more appealing .....

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tedkay wrote:
MaFt

Actually I was very much 'on-topic' with my original message ....

i was referring to me going off topic by discussing vodafone's so-called 'unlimited' data. my suggestion about a new topic was in relation to if you were going to reply SOLELY to my post on the internet stuff rather than your other stuff (which is ON topic, as you rightly say).

tedkay wrote:
I am aware that there have been 'unlimited' internet access issues with various mobile operators - that is why when I renewed my contract I sought and received assurance that I would not be charged extra for internet access. As I said previously, my itemised bills show hundreds of internet accesses and none of them are charged for ......

the 'unlimited' issue does not affect the other operators in the same way as it does with vodafone customers. the other operators simply say that if you start a new contract with them then the definition of 'unlimited' changes - i.e. new contract, new rules. however, vodafone have forced the change, retrospectively, on ALL customers regardless of what you were told when you renewed. like i said, i would suggest you have a read through the post i linked to as well as the comments after it.

MaFt
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

the 'unlimited' issue does not affect the other operators in the same way as it does with vodafone customers. the other operators simply say that if you start a new contract with them then the definition of 'unlimited' changes - i.e. new contract, new rules. however, vodafone have forced the change, retrospectively, on ALL customers regardless of what you were told when you renewed. like i said, i would suggest you have a read through the post i linked to as well as the comments after it.

MaFt

All I can say is that I haven't been charged a penny for a hell of a lot of internet access and Vodafone haven't forced anything on me. My deal is £30 per month for everything. The proof of the pudding is in my bill on which there are NO extra charges for internet access.

...amd how the hell can they redefine - 'unlimited' - the word means 'with no limit' and that cannot be changed !

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The use of the term 'Unlimited' has been covered on many occasions in the press. It is not unlimited in the normally understood sense and all services will refer to a Fair Use Policy.

The fact that you have not been charged is great, but that does not mean that you can exceed the Fair Use limits they have in place. Were you to do so then depending on contract you could be warned, have your access throttled or curtailed completely.

If we wish to discuss this further, and it is an interesting subject, let us do so in a new thread in the off-topic area.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tedkay wrote:
All I can say is that I haven't been charged a penny for a hell of a lot of internet access and Vodafone haven't forced anything on me. My deal is £30 per month for everything. The proof of the pudding is in my bill on which there are NO extra charges for internet access.

Well, reading on the subject and my brother's experience, all I can say is 'give it time'...

MaFt
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or let's stay stay absolutely on topic ...

I have been travelling every day throughout September and I have used Google Maps on my mobile throughout this time, including directions, search etc. I have also used the mobile internet for many other things like Weather, Googlemail, Facebook, and general internet use. I haven't been charged extra for it. So if Vodafones' 'unlimited' internet does in fact have a limit I have not reached it with quite heavy internet use, and that surely is what matters for the purpose of this particular discussion.

So, compared to TomToms' map service which is subscription based and only updates the maps 4 times a year, Google Maps which is updated constantly for free is a better option, especially considering that it also includes a reliable and contemporaneous search facility which is infinitely better than TTs' 'here one minute gone the next' LIVE service which, even when one is lucky enough to be able to access it, provides what I have often found to be extremely inaccurate information.
Blimey Google Maps even gives you a photo of your destination !

pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tedkay wrote:
...Google Maps which is updated constantly for free ...
Is Google maps updated constantly? A new road which replaces the A1073 between Spalding and Peterborough has now been included on two versions of TomTom maps but is still not shown on Google maps. Google did update very frequently up until a few months ago but I have not noticed any changes in the last four months.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
tedkay wrote:
...Google Maps which is updated constantly for free ...
Is Google maps updated constantly?

No it isn't. And Google still use Tele Atlas aka TomTom for European map data.
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

No it isn't. And Google still use Tele Atlas aka TomTom for European map data.

Yes, and TeleAtlas update the maps constantly. Those updates are implemented in Google Maps contemporaneously and available to all their users for free as opposed to TomTom who offer the updates to their satnav users every three months and charge for them...
But surely this information just emphasises my point i.e. that it is a no-brainer to use Google Maps mobile satnav for free (especially since you will be using the same maps as those provided for a TT satnav!)

It is only a matter of time before Google Maps ditches TeleAtlas in Europe in favour of its' own data as it has already done in the US & Canada

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeleAtlas do not provide Google with continuous map updates. They feed Google updates every quarter.

You can also be darned sure they charge Google for using the map data. The fact that Google chooses not to charge you to access it is another matter.

And as for Google's own map data, take a look at the US map forums, there are thousands of complaints about Google's US roads data and the US road network is a darn sight easier to map than ours which has evolved over many hundreds of years unlike the US.

I don't think using Google is a no-brainer, personally I find it useful for quick address lookups but as a serious navigation tool I'd only ever consider it IF it was the only one available to me.
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

You can also be darned sure they charge Google for using the map data. The fact that Google chooses not to charge you to access it is another matter.

I don't think using Google is a no-brainer, personally I find it useful for quick address lookups but as a serious navigation tool I'd only ever consider it IF it was the only one available to me.

So you're saying that paying for the same maps is better than having them for free ?!

As far as reported map errors in Google Maps for the US are concerned I think you will find that there is a plethora of errors reported in TeleAtlas maps for European countries.

I find the Google Maps driving directions extremely useable.
Bringing us neatly back on-topic I should add that the Google Maps POI information is infintely better than the famously poor equivalent provided by TT which will be the only POI info available in the new range of TT PND's

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tedkay wrote:
So you're saying that paying for the same maps is better than having them for free ?!

it's not the cost of the maps that's important, it the functionality of the app that uses them that's more important to me.

tedkay wrote:
Bringing us neatly back on-topic

erm, actually this is the thread that i split off that was meant for discussing vodafone's data charges...

tedkay wrote:
I should add that the Google Maps POI information is infintely better than the famously poor equivalent provided by TT which will be the only POI info available in the new range of TT PND's

i was about to say i disagree but then when i went to look at my locality it appears all the glaring errors have been fixed! humble pie time Very Happy

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I still have concerns about things such as this that are free.

There is ALWAYS a cost, be it hidden or delayed. Google will be itching to make some return on the nav apps and I'll wager that ads will soon be polluting the app.

Personally I still see the value in paying for some things. Much as I expect you wouldn't wish to work for free, most companies have to make a profit. Google turns a very healthy one and offers free maps because it is a sideline to their primary cash generating business.

But yes, Google's POI data is better, and those LIVE equipped new models can look up data from Google using Local Search.
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

it's not the cost of the maps that's important, it the functionality of the app that uses them that's more important to me.

Exactly. Google Maps app functionality is really good - far better than TomToms' and it can't be ignored that TT are reducing that functionality with each new device. TT themselves acknowledge that free satnav on mobile phones is having a huge impact on sales of their devices (50% drop in TT share price over last 12 months..) - so I am not the only one who finds Google Maps a good alternative. But anyway it just highlights the insanity of TT dropping a valuable feature on their new devices at a time when their sales are already plumetting ...

MaFt wrote:
erm, actually this is the thread that i split off that was meant for discussing vodafone's data charges...

It didn't really warrant splitting off to another thread because the relative cost between TT and Google Maps was relevant to the original topic as in discussing alternatives to TT following their dropping support for 3rd party POI's

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: