Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SatNav Directly Responsible For Man's Death
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SatNav Directly Responsible For Man's Death
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
The worst experience I ever had was coming over a rise in the M6 and seeing three lanes of stationary traffic 200 yards ahead of me. I was driving the first car I had owned which had ABS - I think it saved me from serious injury or worse.

Hmmm? How low was that car to give no more than 200 yards view over a "rise" on a motorway? Highway Code quotes typical stopping distance at 70mph as 100 metres. Best not to go driving at 120mph near a reservoir!!

I think one of my worst experiences was to pop over a hump backed bridge on the Somerset levels in fog in pitch darkness at 4am, to find myself surrounded by a herd of cows which had decided to go somewhere rather than stay in their field. Fortunately, I drive within the limits of my view range. Not quite like the deer which jumped over the central barrier of the motorway to head-butt my radiator at 60mph!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're likely right and I was safer than I thought. It just looked bad, disbelief probably added a bit to the thinking time.

If I was on a country road at 4am, I'm likely to have been thinking I had it to myself. Fray Bentos would probably have cleared up the mess.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
mike_d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Stalybridge there is a road called Trinity Street. The chunk between Rose Terrace and Back Grosvenor Street does not exist, it disapeared when they reconstructed the canal. It opened in 2001, I believe.

I have used mapshare to report the error (as a road closed in both directions) and the TomTom website. It has not been corrected.

Despite barriers etc I know someone will end up in the canal.

I've also reported the lack of the by-pass around Ashton-under-Lyne but nothing has happened in some 3 years of repeated reporting.

Someone at TeleAtlas needs to wake up.

Mike
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
I can't criticise the driver for doing what I do myself. I tend to drive assuming the road ahead is clear,
so did the driver in the OP. Turned out to be a very bad assumption Rolling Eyes
Guivre46 wrote:
especially at night on country roads, because to drive according to the conditions would take a very long time.
But at least you would arrive at your destination alive, rather than drowning Very Happy .
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Guivre46 wrote:
especially at night on country roads, because to drive according to the conditions would take a very long time.
But at least you would arrive at your destination alive, rather than drowning Very Happy .

Or possibly wishing you had a cow catcher installed. Very Happy

Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pheasant is very nice, but it is an expensive way to catch them.

And I do know I'm impatient on the road, but when it kicks in I forget I have a problem..
Kia In-dash Tomtom

Last edited by Guivre46 on Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike_d wrote:
In Stalybridge there is a road called Trinity Street. The chunk between Rose Terrace and Back Grosvenor Street does not exist, it disapeared when they reconstructed the canal. It opened in 2001, I believe.

Google Maps overhead view shows the diversion around the canal construction and Streetview from the southern end shows a line of nice blue bollards to stop you driving north into the 'oggin (that's assuming you have ignored the "No Vehicles" sign Very Happy ). The roadmap version does still show Trinity Street unbroken, so would presumably navigate you through it.

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
[Or possibly wishing you had a cow catcher installed. Very Happy
He He Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
Pheasant is very nice, but it is an expensive way to catch them.

My 60mph pheasant cost me £150 to renew the grill and the bird turned out to be totally inedible due to being an inseparable mix of meat, feathers and bits of grill.

OrangeJuiceMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
telegraph

I guess the blame accually lies in little or no mapping of local roads, poor signage, and inappropriate warnings of hazzards. That combined with driver blindly following satnav. As with most desasters, multiple small failures resulting in one catastrophic failure.

You can't blame the mappers .. there's no telling how old his map was .. or maybe it was a recent TomTom map - they still send you down French roads that have been closed since the 1980's. On the other hand, he could've just simply missed the tunnel entrance in the dark...

Shocked Shocked Shocked
TTS - ASR - ALG - IQR etc
PGPSW Cameras with Voice Warnings
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OrangeJuiceMan wrote:
You can't blame the mappers ..

Please read the rest of the thread as we have found that the current tele atlas maps are very out of date for this region. The same maps used by google and tom-tom. But I haven't just placed the blame on the maps but suggested that they did contribute to the incident. If his device had routed him the right way in the first place he wouldn't have been on that road. The rest is down to driver error and possibly poor signage etc. But those are pure speculation at this time as we don't know for sure.

As for possibly missing 'the tunnel' or bridge as I think it is, you could be right but we just don't know, not enough info to go on.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Let's blame everyone except the unfortunate driver, who was obviously driving too fast for the prevailling conditions if he could not stop in time Confused

Most likely what happened was that the driver didn't realise that there was water there until it was too late. It was a fairly gentle slope and quite possibly, it caused some sort of optical illusion or loss of spatial awareness on the dark night.

If the road had a big boulder in the middle of it, the driver would have probably stopped easily, but perhaps it looked like a flat, featureless terrain with no obstructions when it was actually water.

You have to wonder if they had any sort of "road closed" sign or some such thing though.
pdfbt40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bjalf wrote:
DennisN wrote:
And they say speed doesn't kill!

Well, it doesn't. It's usually the sudden stop, or as in this case, being submerged in water.

But seriously, it's a newspaper article, designed to bring in the money. The satnav only gets the blame on account of being the newest "magical device" involved in the tragedy. 10 years ago, a mobile phone would be blamed, and 100 years ago, the car itself would be blamed.

As usual, it's driver error. As long as "switch on the doohickey" is synonymous with "switch off the brain" then stuff like this will continue to make headlines.

Ditto.

Isn't it strange how 'driver'aids get blamed for incompetent drivers. However, as we know, prescriptive regulation (speeding) is far easier to enforce than 'competence' regulation at staged or regular intervals rather than after such an accident.

That's unless its a minority group like Bikers or Pensioners or Spectacle wearers or ......

Martin
culzean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they should have had a barrier or signs up - they have had a long time to do it. Even if it is still used as a boat launching ramp it should have some kind of barrier to stop this happening. This would never happen in UK.

Just one more thought, were there plenty of signs and the Senegalise driver didn't understand them?
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

culzean wrote:
Looks like they should have had a barrier or signs up - they have had a long time to do it. Even if it is still used as a boat launching ramp it should have some kind of barrier to stop this happening. This would never happen in UK.

It does - and has.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/7362254.stm

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: