Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Vodafone's "Unlimited" Internet
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Vodafone's "Unlimited" Internet
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Personally I still have concerns about things such as this that are free.

There is ALWAYS a cost, be it hidden or delayed. Google will be itching to make some return on the nav apps and I'll wager that ads will soon be polluting the app.

Polluting ? Do you consider the ads on your own website to be pollution then ? Are POI's in any application not a form of advertising ?

Darren wrote:
Personally I still see the value in paying for some things. Much as I expect you wouldn't wish to work for free, most companies have to make a profit. Google turns a very healthy one and offers free maps because it is a sideline to their primary cash generating business.

So the fact that Google make fortunes from their core business and are able to provide their Maps service to us for free is somehow a bad thing then ?

Darren wrote:
But yes, Google's POI data is better, and those LIVE equipped new models can look up data from Google using Local Search.

Hmmm - but you have to pay TT for access to Google search when it is free in Google Maps and much better implemented.
The TT LIVE service is utterly unreliable which is why it has been hugely undersubscribed and existing customers are deserting it in droves ....

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tedkay wrote:

So you're saying that paying for the same maps is better than having them for free ?!
They are not the same maps. The TomTom maps are more up-to-date than the ones on Google. Google are at least two Teleatlas releases behind TomTom at the present time.
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
tedkay wrote:

So you're saying that paying for the same maps is better than having them for free ?!
They are not the same maps. The TomTom maps are more up-to-date than the ones on Google. Google are at least two Teleatlas releases behind TomTom at the present time.

...on what authority do you make that statement ?

pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here. The new A1073 to the North East of Cowbit has been shown correctly on the last two versions of the TomTom maps but is still not shown here on the Google map.
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
Have a look here. The new A1073 to the North East of Cowbit has been shown correctly on the last two versions of the TomTom maps but is still not shown here on the Google map.

That's interesting, thanks ...

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tedkay wrote:
Polluting ? Do you consider the ads on your own website to be pollution then ? Are POI's in any application not a form of advertising ?

And how is that in any way relevant? Our site is free for you to use and the ads go a tiny way to paying for the running of it. In an ideal world we'd love not to have them but this site, it's hosting and other admin has a financial cost.

Ads on a navigation device are something entirely different. POIs as we know them currently are not adverts. The ads that I suspect will be coming are in your face ones that pop up with links to McDonalds or whatever as you approach them or where a search for a particular POI type will have those companies who pay the most being prioritised in the list.

I'm delighted you are happy with Google Nav, but there is always a cost to pay someplace, Google ain't no charity.
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

I'm delighted you are happy with Google Nav, but there is always a cost to pay someplace, Google ain't no charity.

... and neither is TomTom, but as things stand at the moment TT charges for its' satnav services and Google doesn't. In fact I have never paid a penny for use of any Google services. Just like your website Google derives income from its' advertisers, but it seems that is OK for you but not OK for them (even though you run ads by the wicked Google !).

Your vehement defense of TomTom (and clear bias against Google) strikes me as a little odd, considering that I got here following a thread set up by your own website asking users whether they would continue to use TT products now they have less functionality Exclamation

tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Ads on a navigation device are something entirely different. POIs as we know them currently are not adverts. The ads that I suspect will be coming are in your face ones that pop up with links to McDonalds or whatever as you approach them or where a search for a particular POI type will have those companies who pay the most being prioritised in the list.

You have no reason whatsoever to suppose that Google will start putting pop-up ads on their satnav service - they have a massive income from their core business. But anyway it would be completely impractical to have pop-up ads on a mobile phone driving directions screen - to be large enough to be readable it would blot out most of the map, rendering the entire sytem useless. I also suspect that the distraction they would present to drivers would be completely unacceptable.
But it is quite acceptable to have POI's (including MacDonalds for the less culinary sophisticated amongst us) on a map which do not impinge on the functionality of the guidance and are extremely useful to the traveller - your website provides thousands of them for that very purpose, including MacDonalds ! - and no-one implements POI's better than Google Maps... I am sure that the many Companies that provide POI information do so in the hope that customers will use their services or buy their goods and that is, despite what you say, a form of advertising.

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tedkay wrote:
But it is quite acceptable to have POI's (including MacDonalds for the less culinary sophisticated amongst us)

ahem, i take offence at that remark!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
tedkay wrote:
But it is quite acceptable to have POI's (including MacDonalds for the less culinary sophisticated amongst us)

Then sue Rolling Eyes
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
MaFt wrote:
tedkay wrote:

Then sue Rolling Eyes

sue for what? it's hardly a deformation of my character!!! Laughing
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

Have you been deformed or defamed?? Wink
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
MaFt wrote:

It'd be deformed if you visited MacDonalds too often - maybe that's why TT are dropping POI support, they're very kindly responding to obesity concerns ! Wink

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
MaFt wrote:

He was never famous in the first place and from studying his avatar self-portrait you could be excused for wondering if he was ever formed too. Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all down to clever marketing...

I allegedly have "unlimited" web access of 1GB per month Jumping With Joy

Hidden in the small print of the contract is a 'fair use policy' cap of 25MB per day Mad

So, with my schoolboy maths I can simply calculate that, if I reach my daily cap of 25MB every day for a month, my "unlimited" web access is actually only 750MB (30 x 25 = 750), not 1GB Stop it!

It's all a big con and, just like politicians, will promise one thing but deliver something different Evil or Very Mad

Despite complaints to my provider and the so-called regulator, I am unable to get myself released from the contract because they claim to be delivering, yet I can only hope to achieve a maximum of 75% of my allowance without being penalised for breaching their 'fair use policy' cap - GRRR

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: