Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 9.058 for x40 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

9.058 for x40 released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMC wrote:
matthewj wrote:
Key question here, is how long do other devices using this major navcore version take to show traffic? Is this just on the x40 devices, or on all the new navcore devices?

I have a 740, and I too have the long delay. Yesterday, travelling through derbyshire, I suspect I lost signal, and it hid the traffic info. V annoying, and manual prods said that it could not connect to Live services, but the network was connected. It is like it isn't triggering a reconnect to LIVE when the network returns.

My 540 much the same - traffic bar suddenly disappears, even in a normally good area. Automatic reconnection by no means guaranteed, and the unit has to be prompted by selecting Live then Traffic. Lo and behold, the spinning circle eventually reappears, followed by the traffic info. It's annoying when it drops out, as the system isn't then responding to any changes. Never had this problem under the previous navcore, but other than that it seems to be working well enough.

I had this drop out again yesterday - on the A50 heading to M6. Arrived on M6 to notice that the traffic had dropped out. Fortunately I had an opportunity to sort it as I had a 13 minute tailback to sit in. Which appeared a few minutes later when traffic sorted itself out. I do hope that TomTom haven't decided this is a finished build.

Also, while most of the long delays on the opposite carriageway were visible, there was one very long tailback that wasn't shown.
wygde3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wygde3 wrote:
Support got back to me with instructions. Involved going back to factory settings, rebooting, clearing flash memory. Still got error 1001. Support sending packaging for SIM card replacement.

Tried going back to NC8 ... HD Traffic bar appears on right hand side ... but can't connect to the server. Very surprised ... unless the SIM card did actually go faulty on Friday ...

Been silent for a while ... packaging arrived. Sent back to TT on 21 October. Confirmation email that it arrived on 22 Oct. Since then ... silence. Asked of TT support and they said takes 5-10 working days. 10th working day tomorrow ...

Have really missed it over the last couple of weeks ... need it back!
wygde3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan195 wrote:

My 740 was not in warranty. I expected a repair but they just sent a new one. I had to get support to reset my account from the old device to the new one. It should be no problem copying your POIs from a backup to a new device, which I did in 2 minutes.

I have now got a fully working TomTom with the latest software and Traffic working as well as it ever did.

(quote trimmed by mod.)

Really pleased for you that you got such fast service. I'm in the same position you were in and haven't had such a fast turnaround. Fingers crossed...
JohnMulholland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 740 Live running nearly perfectly on V8.371 software with V855 W&CE maps. I get a signal within a couple of minutes and Live Traffic shortly after.

Is it safe to update to V9.058 without losing Live Services and, most importantly, Live Traffic? If so, what are the real benefits?
Map: Europe v925.5413
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnMulholland wrote:
I have a 740 Live running nearly perfectly on V8.371 software with V855 W&CE maps. I get a signal within a couple of minutes and Live Traffic shortly after.

Is it safe to update to V9.058 without losing Live Services and, most importantly, Live Traffic? If so, what are the real benefits?

I think it is nicer and better overall, but the solution is to do it all "safely". Take the contents of your satnav and put them on a suitable SD card (and make a backup). Then upgrade it after selecting the SD card in Home (it asks on startup). Then see how you like it. If you find it is a problem, just pop out the SD card and reboot, and you are back to how you are now.
JohnMulholland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm already running off a 4GB card to avoid zoned maps; but I'll take a full back-up before doing anything. My real concern was the seemingly endless problems some people were having with losing their Live connection to HD Traffic.
Map: Europe v925.5413
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm one who's posted about loss of traffic. If you stay connected, it seems to be okay. Only if you cross some rural place with no signal do you lose it. It is frustrating when it happens, but I do like it overall. I just hope that TomTom are not thinking it is finished.
Trigger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: No Connection Reply with quote

Sunday

No Connection to Live what a game Status keeps showing not Connected Twisted Evil
elevonic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've tried the new version for the last couple of weeks, gave it a fair test, I've just reinstalled version 8! Version 9 was slowing my 540 down generally, route corrections took ages, traffic info was very slow to initially start and then would just disappear whilst driving, shame I quite liked the new layout but prefer function over form.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Response from TomTom regarding the slow traffic bar...

Quote:
This is xxxx with Tom Tom Customer Support. Our applications have reviewed the system information have confirmed the traffic bar is loading slower than it should. They have advised me that there will be a navcore update that should improve the loading time. Currently there is not a release date set so please update your device when the next application is released. As you are part the Live Services it is advised to connect to Tom Tom Home and update once a week. Thank you for you feedback regarding this matter.

This is dated mid October but i haven't logged into TomTom Support for some time until today...
MaFlump
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've given up with this update on my 940 as it is overall like a downgrade, I appreciate the constant improvement by Tomtom but this needs big fixing.

Will wait for the next variant and hope that works as fluidly (and reliably) as the Current (non v9) firmware...think its 8.371

Regards
G
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFlump wrote:
I appreciate the constant improvement by Tomtom
Eh Question
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see what MaFlump is saying....

If everything on v9 worked properly and as fast as it should do, then it would be a definite improvement; and that's obviously what TT tried to achieve.
The issue is how much EXTRA work they are prepared to put in to fix it when it doesn't work as well as expected.
(or 'fluidly' as MaFlump so accurately says!)
RavyGravyDavy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Error 1001 Reply with quote

Hello, thought I would chip in with my experience on this one on my Go 940, sorry for the long post in advance...

Hadn't upgraded for a while so on docking with TT Home, my device went from V8.371 to V9.058.

After upgrade I was experiencing the same problems as most - slow to aquire GPS, slow to get Live Traffic. On my journey I travel through some weak signal areas and the Live Traffic would drop out at the same point each day - I monitored the signal strength, and the Live Traffic drop outs were directly related to the point of loss of signal. The 'HD Traffic' logo would change to 'Traffic', and I would get the message 'Cannot connect to Tomtom services'. It would then take an age to re-aquire Live services, even whan regaining good signal strength.

After a week or so, the unit would not aquire traffic or live services at all and I started to get the Error 1001 - SIM card Error. On checking the SIM, I found it was inactive, ie no data and no signal via 'Status - Network'

Resorted to the forums, ie here, and spotted the obvious common trend here, ie there is a clear software problem with V9.XX that interferes with the SIM operation, and in some cases disables it.

Opted to revert to V8.371, and did this, however the SIM was still disabled and I could not connect to Live services. Tried to find out if the SIM could be reset somehow and found Cloedu's post earlier (and the knock back from CPN)...

CPN wrote:
Cloedu wrote:
You dont need to send the Unit to the Support. Just discharge the Battery (Turn On x-times...) and and leave the Unit over Night.....
Restart the Unit next day with Power plugged in.... Taddaaaa! Everything is ok (really no Joke!)

Claude
I have no idea why you think that this would work?! Anyway, I can confirm that it does NOT as I tried it on my GO 940 last night. No difference. Still get the "Error code: 1001" from the SIM card...

...so decided to give it a go.

I let my unit's battery go completely flat, then kept repeatedly turning it on until it would not turn on any more. I then held the power button down for a good few minutes to ensure the battery was completely flat. Left it for the day, then plugged it back in at the end of the day - voila it now works. I am now back to a fully functioning unit, with Live services working fine, albeit with V8.371 - I'm definitely staying with that version now.

As for resetting the SIM, I can confirm that Cloedu's post DOES work, I think the key is in ensuring the battery goes completely flat. I can only assume that the V9 software somehow gets in a loop in inhibiting the SIM, and can only be reset by completely powering down, rather than a simple reset.

I hope this is of some use to anyone suffering the same problem,

Dave

PS tried involving TT Support with all this but have had little useful response.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember that one of my mobile phones' instruction books recommended removing and replacing the battery to overcome some problems?
Kia In-dash Tomtom

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 15 of 21

Jump to: