Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Screen seems to be stuck
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Screen seems to be stuck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wadste
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Screen seems to be stuck Reply with quote

I have a Tom Tom XL Live Routes unit. Today when starting it it goes to the owner information screen, but when I click 'Continue' nothing happens. The button turns blue to show that the key tap has been accepted but the screen just stays on the owner information page. Have been sitting here for 10 minutes and still no change.

Any ideas?

Steve
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obvious first question.... Have you tried a reset?

Press and hold the On/Off button until your XL restarts. This can take more than fifteen seconds.
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suffered from same problem after downloading V8.55 maps (Europe) on to my go950 live.

The 950 would start up ok, I could navigate around various menus, but if I selected Navigate To, or Prepare Route, the screen would Freeze.

Then after a matter of 1-2 minutes, 950 would reboot or I would reset the device by pressing on the on/off button - which did nothing to cure problem.

I run Clear Flash 3 times, but to no benefit.

My warnings for safty cameras are untouched, but my Map colour prefrences were reset to default colours.

I cured my problems it by connecting to Home, selected Operate my device. then browsed map and added a favourite.

Voila, device is back to normal operation, and I just needed to set my colours schemes to my preference
GO 920 Dead
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick_1959 wrote:

I cured my problems it by connecting to Home, selected Operate my device. then browsed map and added a favourite.

That sounds like the common issue with an incompatible or corrupted Mapsettings.cfg file.

Either try the fix that Mick suggests which usually works fine, or simply use Windows Explorer to look inside your region-named map folder and delete that file.

On the next start-up, the TomTom will create a fresh file, but you will have to set all your preferences again.

More work than the "Add a new Favourite in Home" method, but at least you can be absolutely sure you have a 100% compatible file.
shaun43uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I have the same problem as OP, I have XL (30-series) 330 that Im trying to fix for a workmate.

Map version is 825.2158
App Version 8.080.9662

I tried reseting many times, I tried the flash tool, I deleted the Mapsettings.cfg file and reset, I tried running it from Home and browsing map and adding favourite, sadly none of these worked.

I then followed the instructions on the TomTom site and formatted the drive and then did a clean install and again sadly it didnt work, I can only navigate the menu's from TT Home but when I restart the XL the touch screen just doesnt work it just changes colour as I touch but nothing happens, when I connect usb and get the do you want to connect to computer prompt, the yes button turns blue but nothing happens so I have to go thru the reset routine to get it to connect to my PC without any prompts.

I hope all the above makes sense.

Cheers
Shaun
shaun43uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive also tried cleaning round the rim of the touchscreen with a piece of card.

any suggestions please
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the clear flash tool found here:
http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6178/kw/clear%20flash/sno/1

Run it 3 times.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thnk the reason you haven't had any replies so far (certainly from me!) is that you seem to have already tried everything we would normally suggest!

When you say "XL (30-series) 330" that sounds like an American unit to me, but I can't think how that might be significant to your problem.

You must have done something similar when you installed from scratch, but have you tried removing all the loose files (those not in a folder, leaving the folders alone) and then connecting to Home to re-install the software.

Alternatively, you could try reverting to an earlier software version, but that would work only if your serial number DOESN'T begin with RM, RN, RO, RP or RV. If this is the case, report back and I'll try to find a direct download link for you.

Maybe it's simply a hardware fault that's beyond self-help from a forum?
shaun43uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Try the clear flash tool found here:
http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6178/kw/clear%20flash/sno/1

Run it 3 times.

thanks for the reply, I've tried the flash tool many times already which sadly didnt work.

the only good thing to come out of this so far is that when I connected my flatmates identical XL to home to check out the system info it gave him the latest map guarantee which was a good result considering he got his update last year so he now has the latest 855.5139 maps.

It would be nice to get my work collegues XL up and running as he's now bought a new sat nav and says I can keep his old one, which would be useful if case my 730 goes down.
shaun43uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy

Andy_P wrote:

When you say "XL (30-series) 330" that sounds like an American unit to me, but I can't think how that might be significant to your problem.

Maybe it's simply a hardware fault that's beyond self-help from a forum?

Thats the model number that came up when I put the 1st two letters of the serial number (RM) into a search on the tomtom UK website.

the only other thing I noticed which may be nothing is when I try a reset and the system info of the XL comes up it says TomTom ONE (TM) (c) TomTom 2003-2009 Build -N/A- and on my flatmates XL its the same accept for it says something like build 2000

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: