Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Built in Sat Nav but I still need camera database - help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Built in Sat Nav but I still need camera database - help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Staffsman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Built in Sat Nav but I still need camera database - help Reply with quote

I have just ordered a new car for delivery end September. it will come with Sat Nav. built in. I currently use a Tom Tom unit with PGPSW databases. As I understand it I will not be able to download the database to the new Land Rover unit but I still need the camera information.
I know I could keep using the TT but I really don't want to. I don't often need the sat nav but I need to know where the camera are.
Is there a usable alternative? Something that can give me camera warnings without the maps? It will have to be reliable of course and to be able to download the same databases as I do now would be ideal

I should add that I don't have any type of phone capable of GPS or the like. I would need a stand alone unit

Any ideas anyone?

Ray
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would need a stand alone unit

So why not just use the TomTom?

Oh and LandRover is supported but i can't be sure of the unit you'll recieve. See here
Staffsman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
I would need a stand alone unit

So why not just use the TomTom?

Oh and LandRover is supported but i can't be sure of the unit you'll recieve. See here

All the hassle of putting it in and taking it out, carrying it my pocket/wifes handbag...............If I was happy with the TomTom I could have bought a lower spec car and saved 3k

r
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All the hassle of putting it in and taking it out, carrying it my pocket/wifes handbag...............

Surely you would have the same with a stand alone speed camera device?

Quote:
If I was happy with the TomTom I could have bought a lower spec car and saved 3k

Fair enough you are not happy with the TomTom as a sat nav but is it not good enough a device just to load the PGPSW database and just use it for that?
Staffsman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
All the hassle of putting it in and taking it out, carrying it my pocket/wifes handbag...............

Surely you would have the same with a stand alone speed camera device?

That would depend on their size. Until I am pointed in the right direction I don't know and anyway I am kinda hoping there is a device I can bolt to the car which couldn't be easily stolen.

Quote:
If I was happy with the TomTom I could have bought a lower spec car and saved 3k

Fair enough you are not happy with the TomTom as a sat nav but is it not good enough a device just to load the PGPSW database and just use it for that?

In truth I'm not so unhappy with the TomTom as a sat nav but I am unhappy that there are low life out there that are waiting for me to leave my sat nav on view. I don't even mind if does gets nicked, it's the damage to the car.
Horatio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I'll answer the original question.

Yes, there are devices such as 'Snooper', but many suffer from the same problem as TomTom - i.e. they cost 3 figures to buy, so you'd be an idiot to leave them on show on your dashboard. I believe some of the cleverer ones can be remotely locked out if stolen, but is that going to stop some feral teen from putting your window through and grabbing the expensive looking device in the first place?

Maplin occasionally do cheaper, more basic GPS camera warning units. I bought a couple a while ago on offer at around £25 a pop. They looked that cheap and nasty too, and while that's no guarantee that nobody will nick them, I was always happy to leave them on the dashboards of both our cars. They were better than nothing, but the database was very poor compared to the PGPSW one. It knew nothing of mobile or roadworks cameras, and wasn't even aware of some permanent SPECs installations (e.g. on the 50mph stretch of the M60 near Stockport.)

And now a rant Smile

3K for a factory system? Why are these things getting more expensive rather than cheaper? The CD sat-nav was a £1,500 option on my 2002 Laguna, the DVD navigation was free on my 2005 one, and a £1,000 option on my 2010 one for the same system that was in the 2005.

Fortunately, on the current car, the DVD navigation is an upgrade, and you get TomTom as standard if you're not prepared to pay the extra. I really can't comprehend why more car manufacturers haven't stumbled across this bit of genius: Build a TomTom (or other PND) derived system into the car properly, so that the only way a thief can practically steal it is to take the whole car. It's cheap and cheerful compared with most CD/DVD based systems, to the point where it's a few hundred quid as an option rather than a few thousand. The map upgrades don't cost three figures either. It's an all-round win situation (except possibly for the people who develop OEM sat-nav systems.)
Staffsman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, and do feel free to rant, I love a good rant. The 3k is for the 'better' model and includes leather, heated and powered seats, front parking sensors and a cold climate pack which gives me a heated windscreen etc. I didn't buy this model for the sat nav it just happens to be there. So.....to look on it in a positive way I get the leather, elec. seats, climate pack and they throw in a free sat nav!

I do agree with you that built in sat navs are far, far too expensive and I have no idea why, but at least it will be less likely to be nicked. I have now come across a couple of camera only units which are relatively small and more portable than the TT but the costs of renewing the databases are prohibitive.
So I still don't know what I shall do.

Ray
Horatio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staffsman wrote:
Thanks for your reply, and do feel free to rant, I love a good rant. The 3k is for the 'better' model and includes leather, heated and powered seats, front parking sensors and a cold climate pack which gives me a heated windscreen etc. I didn't buy this model for the sat nav it just happens to be there. So.....to look on it in a positive way I get the leather, elec. seats, climate pack and they throw in a free sat nav!

I do agree with you that built in sat navs are far, far too expensive and I have no idea why, but at least it will be less likely to be nicked. I have now come across a couple of camera only units which are relatively small and more portable than the TT but the costs of renewing the databases are prohibitive.
So I still don't know what I shall do.

Ray

3K for the full package actually sounds very reasonable. You'll often pay £1,500 just for the leather and motorised seats.

If I happened to be going for a GPS warning device right now, I think this one might be top of my list: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=341017 . 60 quid one-off purchase, and you get free updates for life (or as long as the manufacturer continues to trade.) Unfortunately, you won't know how good the database is until you buy it and try it. You can bet that as there's 'software' involved, it'll be exempt from any refund options if you're not happy.

The ones I bought were cheaper, but had a £10 per year database subscription. Interestingly (thought slightly naughtily) I was able to activate one subscription and download the database to both units, saving the remaining subscription for the following year. As I mentioned earlier, the databases weren't up to much. Still better than nothing though.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still running a TalexLite alongside my built in Honda/Alpine SatNav.

I've got it situated in a position that I can just drop a duster across it and it looks like the duster is just sitting on the dash as I have the power lead concealed and the Talex is quite thin.

If you get the Novus equivalent then the updates are free. The downside is that the database is not as accurate as here.

If I'm doing a journey outside of my local area I still get my old original TT1 out and update it's database from here, just to be doubly sure.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Staffsman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken a quick look at the Maplin site but the unit apparently doesn't cover mobiles and they are the ones that can catch one out, particularly if in an area I don't know.

Ray
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staffsman, the Inforad is cheap, portable and supports the PgpsW database. Earlier models got good reviews but received a bit of criticism for sound levels. I think later models may have addressed this problem.

Search this web-site forum and you shall find lots of comments.

Hope this helps.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Staffsman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
Staffsman, the Inforad is cheap, portable and supports the PgpsW database. Earlier models got good reviews but received a bit of criticism for sound levels. I think later models may have addressed this problem.

Search this web-site forum and you shall find lots of comments.

Hope this helps.

Taken a quick look and this could be be about right. I will look into it a little deeper. I'd like to see one in the flesh so to speak.

Thanks for the info

Ray
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staffsman wrote:
.... I'd like to see one in the flesh so to speak. Thanks for the info. Ray

Halfords stock them I believe.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: