Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO 1000 Live - Reviewed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO 1000 Live - Reviewed
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: GO 1000 Live - Reviewed Reply with quote

Rather annoyingly, Pocket-Lint have posted a review of the pre-production GO 1000.

A number of us have the device but the NDA forbid us from reviewing until given the green light. Only after querying this review with TT were we told that we could now discuss!

So ahead of a full review, we'll summarise the unit and our impressions here to get the ball rolling.

The software is a not the revolution that was promised, the calculation speeds are better but not as lightning fast as claimed and the pre-production software is still flaky. As it's not the release version it is unfair to dwell too much on this.

But the loss of access to the file system is a huge disappointment. The 1000 does not appear as a disk drive on your desktop and so, currently at least, the install of custom POIs and of course our speed cam POIs is not possible.

Aside from the new design, new mount and updated software there is very little to mark this as a huge improvement on existing models.

The mag-mount cradle is great, works well, simplicity itself to attach GO and remove.

Dislikes:
No more desktop access to file system, the HOME client is now web based and as yet we have no method for installing custom POIs.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So unless things change its unlikely that any users of this Forum will purchase the device when its finally launched.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does the GO 1000 fit into the current line up?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Where does the GO 1000 fit into the current line up?

Below the Start/ Ease is my answer to this one, the screen is too reflective, no BT Audio output, No Memory Card Slot, No direct access to device from PC.

On the plus side is the mount, the way to attach/ remove the device from the cradle works very well indeed, although I would prefer to see a Brodit style mount due to my dislike of windscreen sucker mounts - Mike
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you're basically saying the (yet again) redesigned mount is an improvement and, er, that's it?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seamaster wrote:
So, you're basically saying the (yet again) redesigned mount is an improvement and, er, that's it?

That's about the sum of it yes. New device with less features and software that is new but does less than the versions in replaces! The only improvement worthy of remark is the mount.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: GO 1000 Live - Reviewed Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
The 1000 does not appear as a disk drive on your desktop and so, currently at least, the install of custom POIs and of course our speed cam POIs is not possible.

So you can't do Explorer backups either, and have to use the unpredictable HOME backup facility?
Samsung Galaxy S21
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assume it will be cheaper for TT to support, and easier for the mass market to understand?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with this now "reviewed" how about doing a review of the Garmin 37xx series?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:
So with this now "reviewed" how about doing a review of the Garmin 37xx series?

funny you should say that. i emailed garmin again for a review sample (that has been promised since back in May...)

we can only review stuff we have in our hands. otherwise we're just rehashing PR nonsense.

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
Assume it will be cheaper for TT to support, and easier for the mass market to understand?

That may be the thinking but so far, HOME3 (as the new on-line version is know) has been an abject disaster. Far from easier, its making life a whole lot more complicated for everyone who is using it.

It's not even OS independent as you still need a Windows or Mac client to allow a connected GO 1000 to talk to TomTom.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mooted benefits of this new architecture have yet to materialise. the ability for apps etc has been over hyped in my opinion, I've still seen nothing in writing that confirms this was ever intended.

For me, this seems to be a move to lock the system down and take full ownership of all the additional revenue opportunities. Wholly understandable of course and TomTom have every right to choose to do so.

BUT this is a marked change in the ethos of TomTom who started in this business as the most open and accommodating of manufacturers. They were always keen to develop and nurture relationships with community web-sites and stood out as offering the best support for custom POIs and other bolt-ons made by and supported by the community.

If this is no longer to be the case then TT will lose the one big USP that allowed them to stand out in a very competitive market.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have heard (not seen Smile ) it will be time for a Garmin when I next renew a satnav.

The lack of Custom POI support, the locking down of the device and the flakey HOME mean my current device will probably be my last TT.

They have really lost the plot!!
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TT750 is going to be sold, I've had enough of its abysmal mapping and the updating is absolutely dire.

Its taken me nearly 9hrs for me to get it usable again after doing an update via Home 2,7, never again and as for the map update palaver & the zoning of maps..... Twisted Evil

What amazes me is if I follow it properly, I'd need to be driving along two railway lines to be spot on! I've compared the maps to 18 months ago and they've not changed a thing, in fact they've got worse. Twisted Evil
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
EricWB wrote:
So unless things change its unlikely that any users of this Forum will purchase the device when its finally launched.

Until the matter of custom POIs, third party files etc is clarified and access provided, then I wouldn't consider it. The loss of such features is a massive retrograde step and very shortsighted.

I'am not worried about custom POI, third party files or any thing else. The only thing that would interest me is will I be able to drive from one part of Europe to the other without having to use a PC/Laptop to change zones for the life of the device.

XL Live IQ owner.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: