Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Less Traffic Information Available on GPRS compared to LAN.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Less Traffic Information Available on GPRS compared to LAN.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Less Traffic Information Available on GPRS compared to LAN. Reply with quote

I have seen this mentioned in other threads and I feel it deserves on of its own:

Just been out on a nightmare drive from the M1 to the A10 on the M25. According to TT traffic there are no problems, there certainly are and Traffic-I and Trafficmaster know about it.

I try it again on GPRS at home and TT downloads 34 sites, no problems on the M25. Try again over wireless LAN and 183 incidents are downloaded, M25 problems included. Back to GPRS and 36 incidents are downloaded. M25 reported as clear again. Re-try wireless LAN and 192 incidents are reported. Something is seriously wrong here.

Does TomTom only support a certain time window to donwload incidents and on the slower GPRS, it can only download around 35 incidents in this window?

Whatever the cause of the problem, this makes TT Traffic useless.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just checked with a different mobile handset and provider and the problem is identical. Never can get more than 41 incidents via GPRS.
paulwilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't definately say this because my 2210 is knackered at the moment, but using my 6230 Nokia, i swore i was getting 100 + reports during rush hour.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't yet been able to reproduce your findings, MrT - I have seen it take some time to get all 200 odd points over GPRS, but I've always seem it run through to completion when I'm watching.

Maybe the issue is that the NAT gateways on the GPRS networks you were using were timing out the socket too quickly. Those that use NAT routers to share an Internet connection may have seen this happen - if a particular connection, which, in more technical terms, means a particular TCP/IP socket, isn't used for some time, the router may time out the entry in its NAT table and stop address translating traffic for that socket.

For reference, I'm using an iPAQ 3970 (4.00.08 Pocket PC 2003 ROM) with a Bluetooth connection to my Nokia 6310i (5.50 firmware) on Vodafone contract.

If I can reproduce the problem, I'll report back here. Meanwhile - which networks have you tried?

David
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using 02 contract and the phones are a Nokia 6310 and a Sony T610. I have also tried using a friends T-Mobile contract SIM on my Sony T610.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add my Nokia firmware is 5.51 as in another thread that is seen to make a difference.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken out an Orange PAYG and it definitely improves on the O2 when used with TomTom Traffic. I am currently getting in the high 70s number of incidents on Orange and just over 40 on 02. LAN is around the high 70s mark as well.

Maybe it is an O2 thing, but to try and get 02 to talk with TomTom to resolve the issue will be fruitless.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After this mornings rush hour, it seems that the problem is not just with 02. With around 160 incidents via a LAN, 02 GPRS was averaging about 42 per download with Orange GPRS around 84.

Whilst initially the Orange seemed to cure the problems of the 02 over the relatively quiet weekend, once the Monday rush hour started, neither could cope without dropping information.

I also get on GPRS "Cannot Connect to TomTom" problems (other programs can still access the internet) which never occurs on LAN access. (I am using a hosts entry).
drummer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same problem:
Over the weekend, traffic updates worked fine over Orange GPRS. This morning seemed OK up until about 7:30am when the "cannot connect to TOMTOM" message appeared again.

I now only get 2-3 updates before the error shows and incidents appear and dissapear with consecutive updates.

I am still able to browse the internet so GPRS is connected.
paulwilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per Davidw, i am using Vodafone, so maybe it is a network provider issue.

How do you check through a LAN ??
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just connect via ActiveSynch to a PC on the LAN or directly via a Wireless LAN.
xda_gps_man
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is safe to say the problem is with tomtom traffic software, a work collegue using traffic-i is consistantly getting many more incidents than i get with ttn3+traffic both using orange contract....

... maybe there are bugs in the s/w thats why we all got 3 months free while they iron out the problem !!!!
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

, too am getting the problem over 2 or three downloads.. then nothing..Cannot connect although I can get my meial while GPRS is connected (I do not read the meail while on the move!).

Orange Contract with 3 Mb GPRS every month. Nokia 6600 and IPAQ have to be turned off to egt it working all again. no mean feat at 69 mph!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have received an update from TomTom:

"The TomTom Plug-In always downloads all incidents for the map loaded in TomTom Navigator so this should never happen. TomTom is investigating the root cause but first analyses show that some GPRS networks cache information that they are not supposed to. This would mean the update request is not forwarded to the TomTom Traffic server but ends up at the GPRS proxy."
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me like TomTom only tested with Vodafone!

DavidW sees around 200 points being downloaded, I have never seen more than 41 on T-Mobile, and others here have problems with O2 and Orange. It is as if the GPRS connection to the TomTom server gets broken very readily when more than a certain amount of data is transmitted (may be as low as 2K), so for small maps or at times when there is little road trouble it'll work (for a time) as there is a small enough amount of data to send.

The message I got from TT support indicates they are aware of a problem, at least with T-Mobile. It looks plain untested, and we are testing it for them!

As an aside, if you've got international roaming on your phone, does GPRS roam too? Will I be able to use Traffic in France (should it ever become usable) when I buy the European maps?

Neil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: