Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Changing type and moving existing poi to correct location
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing type and moving existing poi to correct location

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Changing type and moving existing poi to correct location Reply with quote

A service station I pass from time to time has changed from BP to Shell, also the correct location is about 200 yards up the road from where it is showing. I tried to simply change the type and alter the location slightly, In the end I got confused and found the easiest way to do this was to submit a brand new poi in the correct location, and request the removal of the old one. Surely there is an easier way to do this?

Tomtom One
App 8.010 (9369/080529) OS:190943
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
United Kingdom and Replublic of Ireland v885.4058
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well "Change existing POI" would seem to be the obvious and easiest way. How or where did you get confused?

Just above the Submission map are some links to instructions for each action like "Change existing entry".

But in my own words:
1. find it on the map and click on it
2. Click on the ID number that appears at the top of the map. That automatically fills in all the current details in the boxes on the form.
3. Change whatever you want to change on the form - BP to Shell etc. (don't forget to select "Change existing POI" as the action too) and add any comments - I think they like comments!
4. Then to move the location, drag the map to centre it on the correct position and click "Update coordinates" -which automatically alters the Latitude and Longitude boxes on the form to your new position.
5. Click on "Submit Entry" to send the report.

Works for me! Smile
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And change existing poi is exactly what I tried first!! When I clicked on it the first time the id came up but it wouldnt let me click on it! (I have done this umpteen times previously and it fills in the info) I had to start again from scratch, forming a new one and then deleting the old one!

Tomtom One
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so it wasn't you getting confused at all! Smile
Probably just a website or browser glitch.
I seem to remember that at one point clicking on the ID number only worked with Firefox, but before I posted I tried it in IE too and it was working.
crazyhazy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile The reason I was confused was I have done it many times before but normally its one or the other ie changing type or altering location, not both, after changing type I then tried to alter the location - it was then it started playing up and not letting me click on it to insert the data - I have tried it since and it works fine. Sometimes (not all of the time) I cannot get the list of poi up for love nor money, no matter how many times I refresh - must just be another glitch.

Tomtom One
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5011
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this may happen if there is an outstanding change submission already in place.

E.g. if you have a look at the BP station at 53.45678,-2.33681. At the moment, I can see the number 241757, but I can't click on it. I submitted a change to this POI this morning. Is everyone locked out?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
I think that this may happen if there is an outstanding change submission already in place.

E.g. if you have a look at the BP station at 53.45678,-2.33681. At the moment, I can see the number 241757, but I can't click on it. I submitted a change to this POI this morning. Is everyone locked out?

Correct - and if you look at the confirmation email you got when you submitted your change, you will see that the original POI ID was not 241757, it was something much lower.

So, you should be able to guess from the rough range of the POI ID whether it may have a change pending.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyhazy wrote:
Sometimes (not all of the time) I cannot get the list of poi up for love nor money, no matter how many times I refresh - must just be another glitch.

Same here.... A long-standing "funny" that one. Sad
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyhazy wrote:
Sometimes (not all of the time) I cannot get the list of poi up for love nor money, no matter how many times I refresh - must just be another glitch.

Same here.... A long-standing "funny" that one. Sad

Also, whenever I visit the forum, I get the little orange markers next to topics to say there are new posts in them, but 95% of the time when I click on the first one it just throws up a message saying "No new posts since your last visit" (which is patently not true). We've never got to the bottom of that one either.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: