Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 750 live
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 750 live
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
modelman093
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Go 750 live Reply with quote

1. Home is saying that I should download new N Europe map and indicating that this will take over 3 hours! Is this correct/advisable?

2. Subscribed to live services 2 months ago have have yet to be able to use them! Long and involved emails have failed to resolve the issue and they seem to be intent on ignoring the message I get saying that my subscription has expired which I think may be a clue as to why I can't connect or is that too simple?
Angus
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 750 live too & this map update thing has confused the hell out of me!

When I bought it I had a map covering 45 countries, now they're trying to palm me off with a zonal map which clearly offers me less coverage, so needless to say I'm feeling ripped off. Evil or Very Mad

As for the live services I did one trip with the old navicore & it was working fine, I've updated it and I still had them, but they seem to be a bit hit & miss, so I'm considering looking elsewhere for a Sat-Nav, because it's cheesing me off!

The initial map download only took about 9' minutes, I did it at mid evening so internet traffic was lighter then.

Like I said I'm very unhappy about having a zonal map.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as I know you still have them ,you will just need to download the files you need before you go ....... have you been to all 45 countries in 1 journey yet
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the point of supplying a whole of EU map then?

As I see it absolutely none, you should be able to download & install all of the maps onto a MSD card.

The reason I bought this unit was it's selling point of seemless mapping, which you cannot do.

Because of this I'm considering selling a brand new TT750!

Who does the whole of EU without zoning? Garmin who I've had a ruck with over the camera POI debacle.

I don't want Navman, because it's difficult to install cameras on to.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One approach is to use a 4GB MicroSD card and install the full coverage European map to that but for some reason quite a few users of this site are reporting major problems with installing the map to a memory card on the x50 devices.

As to loading up the zonal area you need for any trip out of the UK, I don't agree with this at all, when the device was purchased new it had a single map installed, this so called "upgrade" is nothing short of a joke IMHO.

I have seen reports on other forums as well as this one where the threat of legal action against TomTom has resulted in a full refund following the return of the hardware, small claims court was the route used as I recall - Mike
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I have seen reports on other forums as well as this one where the threat of legal action against TomTom has resulted in a full refund following the return of the hardware, small claims court was the route used as I recall - Mike

I doubt this largesse would extend to owners of older 740 units with the same issue? I am furious about the "zoning" which at a stroke has wiped out the very reason I chose a 740 in the first place — for pan-European trip navigation.

Frankly, with this, plus the new navcore and LIVE services issues, I would be very keen to chuck the bloody thing back at them for a refund.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the X30, X40 & X50 you can buy an SD card for under £10 which will allow you to install the extended WE&C map. The map has grown in size through more detail and adding further countries and I would rather have the extra detail and and have to buy an SD card that have a reduced detail map. I decided to remove the NA Map as I am never likely to need to drive seemlesly through Europe and NA.

However TomTom should have given the option of having a reduced detail or not added newer countries, map for those who want to install it on the device as it was originally sold.

The new Navcore and Live Services failures are inexcusable.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could someone be really kind & explain to a thicko like me how to get all 4 zones onto a 4Gb MSD card, the thing is with me time is of the essence as I'm doing this using the LMG to update all of the EU maps.

Many Thanks. Smile
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically you copy the contents of your unit to the SD Card. Then connect to TT Home. Make sure it's looking at the SD Card and not the internal memory. When you go to download it should give you a fifth map option which is the complete map.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:
Could someone be really kind & explain to a thicko like me how to get all 4 zones onto a 4Gb MSD card,

You would not get 4 separate zones onto a 4GB card, you would just put the complete single map on it as there is a massive overlap with the 4 zones and these would end up using about 6-7GB.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's ok I've got an 8Gb card available. Very Happy Very Happy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
For the X30, X40 & X50 you can buy an SD card for under £10 which will allow you to install the extended WE&C map.

Wazza_G wrote:
Could someone be really kind & explain how to get all 4 zones onto a 4Gb MSD card

PaulB2005 wrote:
Basically you copy the contents of your unit to the SD Card. Then connect to TT Home.

MrT wrote:
You would not get 4 separate zones onto a 4GB card

I guess you all missed the point I mentioned earlier this morning:

mikealder wrote:
One approach is to use a 4GB MicroSD card and install the full coverage European map to that but for some reason quite a few users of this site are reporting major problems with installing the map to a memory card on the x50 devices.

The point is the system should accept and work with a memory card, it does for the x20, x30 and x40 but I have had trouble getting data and maps to load correctly on the 950 when using a memory card in the unit - As you have an 8GB capacity card I would be tempted to put everything from your device on to the 8GB card then try and use Home to update the map, remove everything from the device just have the memory card in the unit with everything on it.

Home SHOULD offer you a single all zones map rather than having to put all four silly zoned maps on the card, it did for my 940 when I updated it - Mike
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give that a whirl when I get back. Cheers Mike.
modelman093
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Go 750 live services problem. Reply with quote

In my ongoing "correspondence" with TT about being unable to get live services, Zoe V. tells me to to tap into the signal strength indicator screen in the bottom right of the map screen to view the version number - what signal strength screen? looked at the pic in the on line instructions and see the bar chart but my unit has never displayed one and tapping in that area only produces a red/brown screen saying "an error occurred on the TT server. Please try again.!
Also i get a message saying that my sub has expired but My services shows them as valid till June 2011.
All suggestions welcome!
Angus
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still offering me zones! Arrrgh!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: