Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - navigator 7 on mio 168
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

navigator 7 on mio 168
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g1euq
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: navigator 7 on mio 168 Reply with quote

hi there, does anyone know if tt nav7 will work on a mio 168 pda? i'm thinking of upgrading but dont want to buy and have the thing not work!!!! so if anyone can help me it would be greatly apreciated.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 168 isn't on the list of supported devices so I wouldn't bother if I were you, if you did purchase it and it didn't work TomTom wouldn't be in the slightest bit interested.
Have a look at Sygic which is similar in terms of functionality - Mike
g1euq
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mike, thats exactly what i thought, in could not access the compatible devices bit on tt to find out if the 168 was supported!!! guess i'll go have a look at sygic and see what it's all about. shame really cos i've been using tt for years now
g1euq
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no luck with sygic, the 168 isnt on the list of supported devices either!!! i guess the pda is too old now Sad
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iGO8 works fine on the 168. LOOK HERE
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTN7 does run on the Mio168 reasonably well, unfortunately it is not supported by TomTom so it is classed as a pirate copy despite it was sold by TomTom quite legally so unfotunatley it is not open for discussion on the forum.
g1euq
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmmmm, the navngo igo8 looks good and it has the 168 on it's approved list so may well be a good substitute. what has confused me though is that if ttn7 will work ok on the168 why class it as a pirate copy? and which forum are we talking about here, this one or tt? please excuse me if i am causing a problem, satnavs are not new to me but these forums are!!!!! Confused Embarassed
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g1euq wrote:
mmmmmmm, the navngo igo8 looks good and it has the 168 on it's approved list so may well be a good substitute.
Some would argue that iGO8 is much better than TT. It's much more customisable, loads of skins are available that makes it not only look different, but can make it do things that it doesn't do 'out of the box'. iGO8 works fine on my 168 Very Happy
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, iGO8 is locked to the SD Card so should you change your device just pop the Card in and it will work. If you do go down the iGO route make sure you make a backup to your hard drive so you can copy back to the original card if you mess up anywhere. Copies on other than original will not work.

PGPSW Safety Cams can easily be copied and pasted over to the speedcam folder, and they're directional (so you don't get warnings for cameras the other side of the road), extra POI's can be put the the userdata/poi folder and there are many Schemes (basically map colours) as well as the Skins M8TJT mentioned.

iGO usually give free map updates if newer ones than those on the card have become available.

A friend, with a 168, had iGO Amigo on his but found, although it worked reasonably well, was a bit 'power hungry' so he bought another device. So I'd stick with iGO8 if I were you.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you consider going down this route, bear in mind that the 168 can not read SDHC cards Sad , so you must get it on a 2G SD card not the 4G SDHC card
g1euq
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i think you have all given me some food for thought, and i have to say that igo8 seems to fit the bill nicely but the other prob i now have is the cost because for the price they are asking for igo8 with european maps i can go and get a brand new garmin complete system albeit a dedicated device and not a pda, so i really don't know which way i will jump now!!! guess i will have to sit on it for a while before leaping
many, many thanks to everyone who has replied to my post and i shall keep looking back here to see if anybody has any other ideas
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first choice is do you want a PDA or a Satnav, If you do not need a PDA with its extra facilities then your assumption is correct to go for a new satnav, from my experience and and being an avid PDA user and having just bought my grandaughter a Nuvi 205w(with 60 day free latest map updates) is that in my local area the Navteq (Nuvi) maps are far more uptodate than Teleatlas (Tomtom) maps,
My limited (very) experience of Igo was that it was more complicated to use than TomTom but this perhaps down to peronal choice, If you go on the 168/ttn7 route then you need a high speed card 2gb max (at least x 150) not SDHC as previously said and secondly you will need to update the Mio to 2003se if not already updated, one of the things this does is put rotate in the operating system wereas previously it was in TTN5, personally I would only use this as an interim period until your MIO dies a death like mine is begiining to groan being more truble tahn worth. including having to reinstall TTN evrytime i get out the draw because the battery is flat. hope this helps.
g1euq
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i happen to have 2 168's, one is the navman version and the other mitac, both in gwo but i have no idea if they are running 2003se (2004 and 2005 07 man. dates). the sd cards are 2gb standard and 4gb sdhc.
i have found that replacing the battery is not a major problem on these devices and they are readily available on ebay for about a tenner.
i am quite happy with ttn6 as it does most of what i want, my only reason for updating is that the maps are 3 years old now and really needs turning into a new up to date one, but as we all know ttn7 maps wont work on ttn6!!!!!?????
do you get the feeling that you should never have started this thread?
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start>Settings>Syste>about will show if you have 2003 se(second edition)
My comments are only from my experience, although I have changed my battery, unfortunately one of the buttons is now sticking and it comes out very much second best to the Asus with wifi and bluetooth. If you are using 6.75 Map as far as I can remember i dont think there was a noticable difference in map data in TTN7, One oddity is that the earlier WE Navteq map tomtom used was more up to date than the later teleatlas maps.
In my local area the current tomtom Maps do not even show major changes done on early 2003.
g1euq
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a look where you said but nowt saying 2003se on there, ive got pocket pc version 4.20.0 ( build 14053 ) is that info any use? and how do you upgrade to se?, i am under the impression that these embeded os's were not upgradeable Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: