Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Esso Petrol Stations on Tom Tom 530
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Esso Petrol Stations on Tom Tom 530

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bongsman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Esso Petrol Stations on Tom Tom 530 Reply with quote

I already have Petrol Stations on my Tom Tom 530 but have now been given a company fuel card for Esso stations. Is it possible to download Esso stations whilst still retaining the POI for ALL Petrol Stations?
Thanks John
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, no problem.

When you say you already have the Petrol Stations POIs on your TomTom, I'm not sure if you are referring to the built-in ones that came with it, or that you have already downloaded the complete "Fuel" set from this site.
However, the procedure is just the same....

On the main POI download page (HERE), just select the Esso stations only and download the zipfle in exactly the same way as normal.
Once unzipped that pair of files will be called "Esso_PGPSW.ov2" and "Esso_PGPSW.bmp", whereas (if you have already got the combined ones from here) the original files you have of ALL the brands will be called "Fuel_PGPSW.ov2" and "Fuel_PGPSW.bmp".

So both can be loaded onto the TomTom at the same time, both can be shown on the map, and you can search for both, by selecting one or the other in the menus.

You will have the generic "petrol pump" icon for the combined fuel category and an actual Esso sign for the individual one, although obviously you will end up with two entries for the Esso stations, so both icons will appear, one on top of the other, in those locations.

If you only have the built-in POI's so far, just add the "Esso_PGPSW.ov2" (and Esso_PGPSW.bmp icon) and it will show up in just the same way.

Last edited by Andy_P on Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Esso Petrol Stations on Tom Tom 530 Reply with quote

Hi Bongsman,

Bongsman wrote:
I already have Petrol Stations on my Tom Tom 530 but have now been given a company fuel card for Esso stations.

Are the "Petrol Stations" the TomTom built-in ones, or are they from a third party such as PocketGPSWorld? By the way, the PocketGPSWorld POI page can be found here.

Bongsman wrote:
Is it possible to download Esso stations whilst still retaining the POI for ALL Petrol Stations?

Yes it is. just visit the PocketGPSWorld POI page, follow the instructions for TomTom and download the POI.zip file to a place on your computer. Unzip the files (.bmp and .ov2) and place them in the map folder (United Kingdom) of your TomTom.

You can use the PocketGPSWorld Esso POIs and the built-in POI for all petrol stations or you can do another download of the PocketGPSWorld Fuel category and select all (or just some of the sub-categories) for a complete list of petrol Station POIs.

By the way, we like to think that all of the PocketGPSWorld POIs (not just the fuel ones) are better than the built-in ones because you can easily and quickly report a change/addition/deletion and the update is usually done in a few days. Thus the PocketGPSWorld POIs tend to be more accurate than TomTom's own.

Edit: Beaten by Andy_P (again) ... Rolling Eyes
... whilst typing the reply. Andy's obviously a quicker typist than me! Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Bongsman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy P.
Followed your instructions and now have Esso on my Tom Tom.

Also thanks to Robert (Privateer).
The 'Petrol Stations' are the original Tom Tom ones, and I would prefer the PGPSW's but changing to them would presumably mean deleting Tom Tom's first?
Regards
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bongsman wrote:

The 'Petrol Stations' are the original Tom Tom ones, and I would prefer the PGPSW's but changing to them would presumably mean deleting Tom Tom's first?
Regards

Nope, you can certainly use the PGPSW ones.

All you might want to do is un-tick the TomTom ones so they don't show up on the map, although you can leave them showing if you like, to see how bad they are compared to the PGPSW ones.

If you do a search for a POI category, they will both still show up in the menu list, but you can just ignore the original one.

For info, you can't actually delete the TomTom ones without deleting ALL of their own POIs (they are all stored in a single file, called poi.dat) so unless you want to do that, it's best just to un-tick them and ignore them in the menus.
Bongsman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Andy_P, that's great. Very Happy
Seems so obvious when it's pointed out.
One of the best decisions I made this year was joining PGPSW.
Regards
John

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: