Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom car kit for iPhone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom car kit for iPhone
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had another go at making this go today. Disaster! Started the tomtomcar kit app and switched on the ignition. Message about this accessory is not optimised for this iPhone again. Thought this app was supposed to stop that coming up? Then the app said not docked and nothing would make it change.
Obviously no Bluetooth pairing.
Really have given up now, only way might be to revert to 3.1.3 but why should I?
Doug
BrummyGit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is something fundamental going on here. I am using the TomTom Car Kit with my iPhone 4 (with the help of a piece of self adhesive felt) and also used it with my iPhone 3G before that and had no problems.

If you don't have the TomTom Navigation app installed, you must install the TomTom Car Kit app as it is designed to prevent the message you have been getting.

For me, all I needed to do was install that app and insert the phone into the cradle. I then hear a beep as the phone starts charging. Once the phone is in the cradle, pair it to the bluetooth of the cradle using the security key 5555 and next time you insert it there should be a beep to start charging, and also a beep for the bluetooth connect.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: I did try everything! Reply with quote

Thanks for that sequence but, after having at least 5 units, for me it did not work. I have the app installed, I got the first beep as it told me it was charging and then the message about not being compatible with the iphone came straight up. Whatever way I conected it, it did the same. I tried bluetooth pairing but it was always searching and not connecting.
I read, by using Google. a couple of other people had exactly the same problem as I had and nothing they did could get rid of the message.
I am quite experienced in gps units of all shapes and systems but could not find a way round this. In the end I gave up and continue to use a Kensington car cradle with a parrot mini bluetooth set. Much less hassle!
Doug
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you have an iPhone 4 problem with BT rather than a tom-tom problem? I have had my iPhone 4 replaced recently for carols reasons.

Mike
Jetaray
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougproctor wrote:
I had another go at making this go today. Disaster! Started the tomtomcar kit app and switched on the ignition. Message about this accessory is not optimised for this iPhone again. Thought this app was supposed to stop that coming up? Then the app said not docked and nothing would make it change.
Obviously no Bluetooth pairing.
Really have given up now, only way might be to revert to 3.1.3 but why should I?
Doug

Doug, I have a similar problem with one of my first generation iPhones. When I place the phone in the Tom-Tom car kit with the unit powered, I get the accessories error and obviously the car kit program says not docked so Bluetooth and speaker will not work. The dock charges the phone just fine, but no GPS, no Bluetooth, and no audio from the speaker.

The dock I have works flawlessly with all other iPhones I tried. So out of curiosity I used a dock extender cable. I purchased one sold here, http://www.cablejive.com/products/Dock-Extender-Cable.html . With this cable attached between the phone and the dock, the kit worked as it should, GPS signal, Bluetooth syncs, and speaker audio works great.

For some reason the extender cable makes a better connection to the phone then the connector on the car kit dock. To me this indicates the iPhone connector is dirty, corroded, or worn to a point that Tom-Tom car kit connector will not fully connect to the phone.

The strange thing is this phone works on other accessories just fine and only has a problem with the car kit. A new iPhone connector costs about $60 to be replaced on a 1st generation phone. I suspect your phone may have a similar problem. This is mostly speculation hence the reason I have yet to replace my iPhone connector (a very difficult job).

This web site http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/Apple_iPod,_iPad_and_iPhone_dock indicates that pin 21 of the iPhone connector informs the iPhone what type of accessory is connected. If you have a strong magnifier with a light you could visually inspect that pin to see if it is corroded, dirty, or damaged in some way. I tried cleaning my connector with a dry tooth brush, but that did not help. I am too scared of destroying my phone to try any kind of cleaning solution.

Hope this helps or gives you some ideas, I truly believe this is a hardware problem not software. First and foremost try a different iPhone, if another phone works then the dock is most likely fine and your phone may be at fault.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Thanks for that very comprehensive answer, really appreciated. The thirst had for getting this accessory has now diminished a little but you make interesting solutions. This could well be the case although my iPhone is not too old and, unfortunately, I have no access to another to test your theory. Each time, I have to buy a car kit at $150 and then return it to the store as defective for a refund! Have had four so far.
If I ever decide to get another, I will try out what you say and update this thread. As I said, I appreciate your work on this.
Doug

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: