Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Logging a Trip into Africa
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Logging a Trip into Africa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daaave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: GPS Logging a Trip into Africa Reply with quote

Hi all,

I was hoping you may be able to offer some advice (I've searched and only come up with some old info).

A friend and I are going to join a banger rally and drive from the UK to Timbuktu in Mali, NW Africa. On our trip we would love to be able to log our route and geo tag blog posts, twitter, photos, etc. What are the things we should consider and do you have any ideas as to the best way of achieving this?

We both have mobile phones with GPS (one iPhone and one Nokia), we assume there will be little or no phone signal through any of the possible countries - Morocco, Western Sahara, Mauritania, Senegal, The Gambia & Mali. I assume we will have to log data and rely on internet cafes to upload info, which isn't ideal as that could be very hit and miss and mean big gaps in uploads.

Thanks for your advice.
Dave.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could set up a WordPress blog and use the iPhone app. this has geotagging and will also store your posts until you have a connection to upload them. i've not tried it but i'm pretty certain that the geotag will use the coordinates from when you press the button as opposed to when you upload the post.

for the logging you could use motion x gps - again, on the iphone. this is a paid app with a lot of functions and features. there would probably be some basic logging software for free on either the nokia or the iphone though. either that or you could buy a dedicated device for datalogging which would have a far better battery life but then would need connecting to a computer to retreive the logs etc.

you could also upload the logs to something like http://triptracker.net/ which, if i remember correctly, will match photos to the route if they are geotagged and, if not geotagged, according to the time stamp - i'm not 100% certain on that though.

MaFt
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dozens of free apps exist on getjar.com. Theres a couple of good and free mapping apps that I would recommend - trekbuddy for topo work and gpsmid for openstreet map maps. Getjar.com also has iPhone apps (Although I don;t have an iPhone, so have largely ignore them).

Tracking apps are widely avalible. Most will upload in real time. Make sure the one you choose can save files to memory cards and works when out of Celluar coverage. Given roamig most people get charged, watch out for ones taht only work inside celluar coverage.

Be careful about data charges if you a use mobile data while roaming. You can eat up data very quickly if you are not careful. Watch for the online mapping apps - the provider is not paying $10.00 a Meg to send those pretty pictures of the remotest part of Africa - you are.

Be aware that most cell phone GPS's are not as good as dedicated devices, due mainly to the smaller GPS antenna size, and many rely on Assisted Start to get the first fix quickly - they will still get a fix, but without cellular data coverage will take a long time (It can be many minutes).

I use a SE C702 Phone and find, within the limitations described above, its great. I tend to turn off data when roaming, only enable it when I want data connections, so I have control of how much it costs me. Depending on how deep your pockets are, I would look for the same capabily.
Daaave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
you could set up a WordPress blog and use the iPhone app. this has geotagging and will also store your posts until you have a connection to upload them. i've not tried it but i'm pretty certain that the geotag will use the coordinates from when you press the button as opposed to when you upload the post.

That looks very interesting, I think I'll set up a test blog and see how it works.

MaFt wrote:
for the logging you could use motion x gps - again, on the iphone. this is a paid app with a lot of functions and features. there would probably be some basic logging software for free on either the nokia or the iphone though. either that or you could buy a dedicated device for datalogging which would have a far better battery life but then would need connecting to a computer to retreive the logs etc.

you could also upload the logs to something like http://triptracker.net/ which, if i remember correctly, will match photos to the route if they are geotagged and, if not geotagged, according to the time stamp - i'm not 100% certain on that though.

MaFt

Do you have Motion X GPS on your iPhone by any chance? It looks like an excellent app, the fact that you can download map data and store it on the phone is a real winner. But I really need to know what sort of maps are available for NW Africa before I buy the app otherwise it might not be as much use. Can you check if you have the app?

Is there a decent way of making a TomTom or Garmin log a route (we each have a dedicated sat nav already)? I suppose we could manually add POIs every hour or something, but that would get tiresome I imagine and easy to forget and end up with huge gaps in POIs.

robertn wrote:
Dozens of free apps exist on getjar.com. Theres a couple of good and free mapping apps that I would recommend - trekbuddy for topo work and gpsmid for openstreet map maps.

I'll get my mate to have a look for his Nokia, thanks.

I think that data connections might be pretty much non-existent so we will have to work out other methods of storing data then uploading it in bulk at internet cafes.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: