Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sygic MM10 with PGPSW POIs and Speed cams
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sygic MM10 with PGPSW POIs and Speed cams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Sygic MM10 with PGPSW POIs and Speed cams Reply with quote

This might help someone else who is having trouble. With luck someone knows a better way of doing this.

I've been playing around trying to get my copy of SMM10 into a usable satnav, and so I downloaded POIs and speed cams from PGPSW. I'd had them in SMM9. I converted them and copied them to the HD2 according to the instructions here http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras-mcguider.php

On my Windows Mobile, SMM10 opened, and crashed. Sometimes it would open and work till i browsed the maps, sometimes I could get as far as moving the map round the screen and get near Washington (Tyne & Wear) before it crashed! Was it to do with the icon for National Trust? Deleted all the POIs and icons, still trouble.

So, to uninstall it, use the instructions Sygic emailed me:
BUT FIRST, copy "license.txt" from the maps folder to a backup, and after reinstalling, before running, copy it back. (They forgot to mention this! Without it, you are stuffed.)
SO, you need to backup and reinstall
    license.txt from \maps
    favorites.upi from \maps\(your country)
    the itinerary folder from \Res
    Home should be stored in /Drive/settings.dat file. All app settings are stored there.
    Apparently that is now everything.

Sygic (by email) wrote:
When you want to uninstall Sygic, all you have to do is uninstall SMM via file manager and delete folders from sd card: 2577, drive, maps, res and setup(os).xxx . That’s all.

If you want to install it back, you can find all these files in c:\program files\Sygic mobile maps\

To install just copy content of this folder and execute setupwinmobile exe via file manager.

Tried again, immediate crashing.

Read through everything again, noticed that the Sygic POI Converter manual said that icons should be 8 bit or 32 bit, preferably 27x27 pixels. BUT those downloaded from PGPSW are 24 bit, and typically 22x22. So I removed all the icons from my SD card, and SMM10 worked well.
Damn!
So I saved one to try it out as 8 bit (using Paint.net) and copied it across to the Sygic res\icons folder. SMM10 worked well.
So I did more, and if I copied the icon as 8 bit all was fine., If i copied any one as downloaded from PGPSW then SMM10 crashed.

Well, by late afternoon I have got all the icons converted, and copied across, and all working. They are a bit small, but SMM10 is not crashing now and they all show.

Future improvements would be finding out how to batch convert, and how to do so as 32 bit.[/list]
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.

Last edited by Fellwalker on Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

odd.. the bitmaps that we provide should already be 8-bit... Confused

MaFt
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very odd. If I look back to the icons I had when I used my hx4700 with TomTom, of those downloaded from PGPSW:
97 were 24 bit
18 were 8 bit
6 were 4 bit
They were all downloaded at various times between May 2007 and September 2009.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.
tilt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to Fellwalker.
After some pfaffing about authorising MM10 ( and after otherwise following Fell walkers advice) MM10 is now fully functional on my HTC HD2 with PGPSW camera alerts and my own .ogg warnings and my own 8 bit graphics moved from MM9.

The MM9 quirky ness remains

Too many screen presses to access a route
Still told to go straight across the island and take the 5th exit

and the biggy

If I leave the app without exiting I can still only return via the task manager
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Glad to help Reply with quote

I'm glad it was of help.

After several months of occasional use, there are good bits and bad about MM10.

It's pretty quick. It gets me there. The routes are good. The timings are good.

However:
If I switch off my HD2, without exiting MM10, then I can do nothing to get back. It won't even switch on again. I get the slider to unlock, but it never stays alive long enough. It may be an interaction with Co0kies Home Tab, without which I would not wish to be.
(If i switch to another app, I can't get back to MM10 any way at all. tilt - you are lucky that you can get back via task manager.)

The underlying maps have too many errors, even after years. I've had to report three roads that have never been roads! They might have been farm tracks or one a railway.

The road numbers drive me batty. For example, the B3290 is the Bee Three Thousand Two hundred and ninety, whereas it should be the Bee Three Two Nine Oh.

Roundabouts are daft. It will tell me to go straight over the roundabout, whether that be first or fifth exit, so it could be straight over when I'm almost doubling back on myself.

It would be fun to be able to use other voices than the ONE that is available for the UK.

I have fed all of these back to Sygic. Who knows...

It would be great if PGPSW would provide native Sygic speed cams and POIs rather than having to download the text ones and convert them.
ephoras
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Am I being cheeky in asking you put these icons back on site, I run Windows 2000 Pro and have no way I know of, of converting the PGPS? Icons to work on my Sygic, all utilities seem to demand XP, minimum. I have v10 and carried forward my Speed Camera icons from V9, however, I added various Petrol POI's and 10 crashed until I removed the icons.

Bob
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ephoras wrote:
Hi All

Am I being cheeky in asking you put these icons back on site, I run Windows 2000 Pro and have no way I know of, of converting the PGPS? Icons to work on my Sygic, all utilities seem to demand XP, minimum. I have v10 and carried forward my Speed Camera icons from V9, however, I added various Petrol POI's and 10 crashed until I removed the icons.

Bob

Bob,

I can't say whether the PGPSW icons will be changed or not (the speed camera ones where a few years back when I went through them and converted them for MaFt).
In the meantime, I am willing to convert the ones you need if you can send them to me. send them to vince{at}marsters.co.uk please and I should be able to get them back to you quite quickly.

Vince
ephoras
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for that offer, an email is now winging its way to you

Bob
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent you the modified files.

If anyone is interested I use free software to do the conversions, using GIMP .
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used irfanview which is a bit easier to use, and also free. It allows you to do batch conversions which I could not find in GIMP. Make sure you install the latest add-ins from the link on the irfanview website.
ephoras
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarymonkey, many thanks, icons now installed and working perfectly.

scarymonkey and Fellwalker, I've taken your advice on board and obtained the 2 programs recommended, they are both installed, I just have to try and understand them.

Many thanks to you both.

Bob
tilt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Glad to help Reply with quote

Fellwalker wrote:
I'm glad it was of help.

However:
If I switch off my HD2, without exiting MM10, ...................

(If i switch to another app, I can't get back to MM10 any way at all. tilt - you are lucky that you can get back via task manager.).

If you ever find that task manager can help you then I have discovered that by using file explorer you can copy TaskMgr.exe to your start menu. You can then see it as a program from windows and put it on your opening screen as a button.

makes stuff a little quicker and allows the odd clean up of apps running.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Glad to help Reply with quote

tilt wrote:
If you ever find that task manager can help you then .....
Or you could right click the task bar at the bottom of the screen and choose Task Manager from there. Not quite as quick as a shortcut on your desktop (unless its covered by other stuff), but quicker than using the 'Start' menu
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my HD2, MM10 is now letting me switch out of it, then use task manager to get back in. Don't know why it did not before!

MaFt - any chance of PGPSW putting 8 bit or 32 bit icons on? I just downloaded Farm Shop, Fuel, Golf Driving Range, National Trust and National Trust Scotland, and they all have 22x22, 24 bit icons. If you want me to convert them and email them somewhere I am happy to do so.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: